Tail pack vs top box??

So I popped into my local bike shop after work yesterday on the look out for a storage box for my bike as I'm getting pretty fed up with having to carry a bag everywhere. Had it in my head I was getting a top box but I soon saw these tail pack bags that sit on the rear end. I'm so much of a bike noob I had no idea they existed. Either way I walked out with nothing thinking I needed to research what's best. Spoke to the guy in there and he said the bags are much worse, however I couldn't really understand why. Been looking this morning and still none the wiser. Can anyone shed some light on what's best etc?

I have got both. Top box IS better as it should be completely waterproof and secure, but it is also expensive, the box can be had cheap, mine was £20 off fleabay, but the rack for your bike will cost a lot, it cost £90 for a renntec rack for the top box to bolt on.

Having said that, tailpack is much cheaper alternative, can carry pretty much as much stuff and with a rain cover will be waterproof, also has straps and stuff to tie extra things onto it.

Both are good, if you can afford a top box and rack, then get one, if not a tailpack is a good buy, used on ebay is pretty handy, I had a set of tailpack, panniers and tankbag for £50 all in! Tank bag is also a very handy tool! I use one with my top box.

My Kreiga tailpack is 100% waterproof......I tested it thoroughly in Wales on the Whitsun weekend..... :wink:

I didn't want a rack and topbox on the Speedie.....it would just look wrong..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

You know I never considered a rack, turns out it would make it far to expensive for myself for one for my bike. Tail one it is, seems there a good enough for what they want and I think looks wise they're better. Thanks for the info chaps :-) might invest in a tank bag at a later date if all goes well.

Top box - pretty secure, very waterproof, limited choice in terms of looks and boy can they look ugly on the back of a bike, the box is likely to come off easy but the rack will be pretty permanent and you need space to store the box when not in use.

Tail bag - not so secure but pacsafe make metal mesh nets you can put the bag in, not always waterproof but it can be done with bags such as from Lomo, big choice of prices, looks and sizes, far more flexible in terms of storing when not in use and putting on and off the bike.

If you leave your bike parked up in public a lot I would go with a top box, otherwise I would go with a tail bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a tail pack (Oxford) for about a year. It did the job but as it strapped under the seat and then bungied down for stability but it ended up scratching my paint. I used it everyday for commuting though. I now have a top box (Givi). Best addition to my bike by far. I just clip it on and go. No hassle, no worries and I can leave it on my bike and know that whatever is inside (usually helmet and gloves) is safe when I am off my bike.

If you use it regularly then get a top box. If it is just sometimes then a tail bag will do.

:cheers:

I used a tail pack (Oxford) for about a year. It did the job but as it strapped under the seat and then bungied down for stability but it ended up scratching my paint. I used it everyday for commuting though. I now have a top box (Givi). Best addition to my bike by far. I just clip it on and go. No hassle, no worries and I can leave it on my bike and know that whatever is inside (usually helmet and gloves) is safe when I am off my bike.

If you use it regularly then get a top box. If it is just sometimes then a tail bag will do.

:cheers:

Yup yup - you might not want to carry a tail bag around with you - I had to one weekend, it looked stupid, and I wished I'd taken my Givi toss box (top box) instead as it securely locks to your bike and easily remooovable. I leave my helmet in there every day at work and when out and about as I am clumsy as hell!

Top boxes are good and secure. If you can afford one, get one :) I keep my boots, trousers and gloves in mine all day when I'm in college and don't have to worry. A tail pack is a burden when you're off the bike whereas the top box lets you carry less.

Horses for courses as everyone says. If you really want carrying capacity you should get a Goldwing, it's astonishing the amount of beer you can fit in those things!

I have a full set of Oxford gear I've had for ages but only used twice - tank bag, tail pack and panniers if you're interested...

renntec!! with a top box?? hell no.

i wanted to get a renntec rack and fit a top box to it for my trip around europe. i looked at their website and noticed they sell racks and universal top boxes. so youd think you could fit their universal top box to their rack, right? nope. renntec do not advice placing any weight over 2Kg on their racks and when i contacted them to see if this was a typo they told me not to fit a top box as it will way over the safe weight limit and the the rack really shouldnt be used for anything over 2kg.

2Kg? thats the about the weight of an empty top box and adapter plate lol. then add the contents of what ever you cram into the box plus the forces applied to it by the wind blast.

personally, if the manufacturer is not confident in their product then i wont entertain using it.

i ended up buying a ventura luggage system. no complaints and absolutely no issues with it.

back to the OP actual question though. if i had a choice and practicality was more important than looks or style then i would opt for a box rather than tail pack or any other soft luggage option. as others have said, theyre water proof, lockable, simple to remove, sturdy and piss easy to use.

I think they are playing it safe with the 2kg load capacity. At the end of the day it is a piece of alloy welded to some tubing, it is fairly strong. I have put a box on mine, and loaded the box up with a huge amount of stuff, several bottles of milk, uni bag with laptop, 4 pack of beer all at the same time and not had a problem.

Obviously, how the rack actually bolts to the bike and how strong its weight bearing is will vary bike to bike, but with the bandit it goes into the bolts which hold the grab handle and it is literally a single piece of angled alloy in a sort of triangle shape either side that holds it up, which makes it quite secure.

One thing worth mentioning though.... although top boxes are safer to leave stuff in then soft bags, it is probably advisable not to leave anything of value in there too often. Anyone who knows anything about locks would be able to pick that and open it with complete ease (past hobby of mine, crosswords were boring so did that instead) also, you could easily get into a plastic top box with a crowbar if needs be. So don't rely on them fully for keeping your stuff safe.

My suggestion would be the sw motech tank bag range, which now include a locking system and you can padlock the zips if needed. Keeps the bike looking standard when you don't want it and adds secure carrying capacity that would not mark the paint.

Sportsbikes + topbox = fugly,,,

I have a selection of tankbags, I love these slap em on magnetically then use em as rucksacs when you get where you're going, tailpacks, again super useful I have a selection of these the best one I have has a scoop too fit over the pillion seat, the busa came with a rack & givi topbox but thats the 1st thing that came off I mean Mr Koji Yoshirua didn't pour over the design & use wind tunnels etc to have me stuff a topbox on it designed by Mr Giuseppe Visenz.

I have had panniers but I found it put me off filtering & affected higher speed runs.