We're doomed!

ApolloMozart

According to some Ukrainian boffins, we may be hit by a big asteroid in 2032 and then again in 2048! (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ukrainian-astronomers-discover-1300-ft-asteroid-heading-for-possible-devastating-2032-impact-with-earth-8888672.html)

Is anyone considering any contingency plans for such events? Digging a bunker or Noah's ark?

I may get some cold beer and watch how the world ends (or not)... Feel free to join me!

Well there are plenty of abandoned bunkers kicking about the place...

A nice concrete one:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/20100821_South%20Foreland%20plotting%20room/IMG_4547.jpg

Or a very deep shelter:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/20100619_St%20Margrets%20Deep%20Shelter/IMG_0988.jpg

Beer in a bunker? Sounds alright to me! :-)

I welcome change to be honest, fed up with this government and how the world ignores fracking ect,

just me and my bike riding the baron wastes, no tax to pay!

With all the fuel and food you'll undoubtedly have :lol:

No problems if it hits England........it'll just get a text from the Immigration dept telling it to sod off back to where it came from...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

more like England will throw all of our budget and beg it to come to our country for "greater cultural enrichment and diversity" whilst all the other countries politely let us take the glory and snigger behind our backs.

No problems if it hits England........it'll just get a text from the Immigration dept telling it to sod off back to where it came from...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

more like England will throw all of our budget and beg it to come to our country for "greater cultural enrichment and diversity" whilst all the other countries politely let us take the glory and snigger behind our backs.

Sounds about right,but i'll be long gone. :lol:

It is meant to come within 250,000 miles of Earth... And it has been shown that it will miss us.

Maybe it will hit, but I suspect the rather large laser that's been in development to push asteroids off course will be in by then... They've had it designed for years to use solar rays and redirect them into a fixed laser.

Or we're all extinct... Oh well.

Life goes on... I hope

this is 1 on the torino impact scale... It is the highest on the scale at the moment. The scale goes from 0-10.

0 being "The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage."

10 being "A collision is certain, capable of causing global climatic catastrophe that may threaten the future of civilization as we know it, whether impacting land or ocean. Such events occur on average once per 100,000 years, or less often."

number one on the scale (which this is) is "A routine discovery in which a pass near the Earth is predicted that poses no unusual level of danger. Current calculations show the chance of collision is extremely unlikely with no cause for public attention or public concern. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0."

...just sayin'

I wonder the people in space station would be a good or bad thing to watch all humans peril, while you live for a couple more months

Of course it could collect the Space Station a few micro seconds before it hits the earth???

Maybe the gravitational pull from the asteroid will push it seconds before it hitds earth, making the station drift space?

Sad but true that being hit by a meteor probably WOULD enrich our culture... :roll: :lol: