UK Challenge 2014 - Discussion thread

Stu

Awww, looks like you'll be going slow then :lol:

Yeah I'm not going tomorrow, I'm going to make sure my bike is sorted and pack a few things tomorrow then will start next week :)

Yayyy, someone near me that wants to be seen with a small bike! :D

Just back in from doing Chaterherault Hunting Lodge and Bothwell Castle.

Had to go in to the visitor centre at Chaterherault to make sure the big building was the hunting lodge as it doesnt say it on it.

It was cold, wet and very windy on the motorway but its good to get started. :)

I'm gonna split the rest of Southern Scotland in couple runs (can't use motorway)

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse and Ae Totem Pole in one run, Dirleton Castle and Chrichton Castle in another. I'll do Scone Palace with some tags from Northern Scotland

[album]884[/album]

[album]883[/album]

[album]882[/album]

I worked out an ironbutt route for the whole of the south of Scotland which would take 12 1/2 hours for me. But I think three trips is more reasonable. A loop taking in the the west ones from Bothwell to Ae to Ayrshire and Kilmarnock. Then a run down to the Mull of Galloway taking in the Galloway forestry roads just for fun. Then another loop with Scone and the two eastern tags.

I do not think I will do the north this year as too many roads are the same as the last two years. I may do the three eastern tags as I have never been to places like Peterhead before.

Roxyy, looks like 3 great runs, I love the roads in Scotland.

These are just small ones (apart from last one) :D

Here's one of the bigger runs I've got planned...

[album]886[/album]

By the time I complete Scottish part hopefully weather get better so I can do some full weekend (Sat & Sun) runs to England! :)

Roxyy, looks like 3 great runs, I love the roads in Scotland.

These are just small ones (apart from last one) :D

Here's one of the bigger runs I've got planned...

[album]886[/album]

By the time I complete Scottish part hopefully weather get better so I can do some full weekend (Sat & Sun) runs to England! :)

I hate the A9 and would go up to Inverewe via Ft William, Glen Garry and Torridon and back down the A82 from Inverness or that and the A9 for the run home.

I hate the A9 and would go up to Inverewe via Ft William, Glen Garry and Torridon and back down the A82 from Inverness or that and the A9 for the run home.

Also thought about to go one way through Fort William and A9 on the way back

Six done today with a run in the sun 8-) So much so at times I was struggling to see with the sun being so low, even with my sun visor. The roads were filthy and around Dalmellington utter crap surfaces. The Doon Valley Museum is not marked and I am not sure it is even open any more.

Saw a sight a mile or so north of Ae, a cottage surrounded by motorcycles. There must have been 50 odd going from the old to the very old. There was no one around. Anyone got any idea who lives there?

The Doon Valley Museum is not marked and I am not sure it is even open any more.

It is the long, single-story building with a bench and old-style streetlight outside. A small notice in the window (last year) states "Entry by Appointment Only" and has (had) a telphone number to ring.

A guess a picture of the building where it is (or was) would be acceptable.

:cheers:

The Doon Valley Museum is not marked and I am not sure it is even open any more.

It is the long, single-story building with a bench and old-style streetlight outside. A small notice in the window (last year) states "Entry by Appointment Only" and has (had) a telphone number to ring.

A guess a picture of the building where it is (or was) would be acceptable.

:cheers:

I found it OK after asking a local, I was just passing on info that may help others. It is in street called Cathcartson off the round-a-bout in the middle of the village.