I'm now going to be controversial ...

Phooey

... but please, no death threats or hate mail.

I call for flashing of headlights to be illegal!

Coming back from the school run fifteen minutes ago, I was driving up the busy A38 Gloucester Road in Bristol when some ar*ehole decided to flash his headlights to allow a car out from a side junction. The car promptly emerged ignoring traffic from my direction causing me to hit the brakes with such force that the ABS kicked in. And if that wasn't enough, the emerging car driver used the two finger sign to point to his eyes and mouth 'look where you're going you blind c**t'

I was literally no more than twenty metres away from the junction, in fact, the ar*ehole who flashed was further away from the junction than I was!

I shall now go and bury my head in shame for daring to be so controversial. :angel12:

I wouldn't say banning flashing of headlights should be illegal I just think some people like the person at the junction need to engage some common sense !

But they don't, CGD. Very few people use the flashing of headlight correctly. And too many see it as 'it's safe to go'

I couldn't agree more. Luckily local to me most people wait until it is safe to go before emerging.

I have noticed how driving standards change dependant on where you go!

I've had that happen when i've been on the bike, luckily the person pulling out of the junction saw me.

On the same note it's annoying when you're follow a car you can see the road ahead is clear and they slam their brakes on to let someone out. JUST FRICKING DRIVE.

I was under the impression they were not supposed to be used to signal other drivers, I think it might be illegal not quite sure on it. But it is stupid because people who are flashed immediately think "Oh blimey i best pull out to not inconvenience this driver" Unfortunately i see it all to often. I just stopped letting people out it's to much hassle 90% of the time the person is day dreaming and dithers :D

I was under the impression they were not supposed to be used to signal other drivers, I think it might be illegal not quite sure on it. But it is stupid because people who are flashed immediately think "Oh blimey i best pull out to not inconvenience this driver" Unfortunately i see it all to often. I just stopped letting people out it's to much hassle 90% of the time the person is day dreaming and dithers :D

The official meaning is 'Warning, I am here' but I don't think that it is illegal, per sa, to use it as an invitation to emerge. Will happilly accept a correction if so. Not that it means anything but even the police flash to let people out of junctions!

Edited by Phooey

While not illegal, if you pull out because someone flashed you... Even if the person who flashed you then hits you, they can claim to their insurers they were using the flashers to signal you were there. And due to the law they will win the case...

I've been tempted when alone in the car to just let the car smash into someone who pulls out and does that. Then don't bother correcting them so they tell their insurers they pulled out as they were flashed. I'd probably have a new car and a mint in a payout... But I can't morally decide to screw insurers over as while they screw me, the other way around sends prices up for everyone.

I know someone, an ex friend, who did exactly that. She wanted a new car so just waited, and waited, then eventually the opportunity arose. She claimed the for car, psychological distress and neck and back pain ... she absolutely milked it. That was the last straw in our friendship and we parted company soon after during her major gloating period and boasting how she got a new car and a holiday out of it!

If i'm correct it's known to police as something like flash scammers. People on purposely flash so people pull out then crash into them and claim.

When not sure just wait and go when you're ready :D

The funny thing is that they are supposed to be used to let other road users know you're there... but if you did do that you'd probably have an accident since they would assume you were giving right of way...

Had a bus driver flash his lights at me to allow me to emerge yesterday, I just waved him on because I couldn't see. He thinks he was doing me a favour but you're more likely to get me killed with the guy that over takes you because you aren't going...

This is how my stepdad ended up in a smash that sent his car rolling into a field upside down going through a set of traffic lights, one car in the right lane waiting to tyrn flashed the guy in opposite direction to turn right straight into the path of my stepdad at 40.

Common sense doesnt provail unfortunatly

Any flashing while im out best ne titties & nothing else

Sure thing I might get chilly though hah!

You should get a cleavage thread going in the adult section for mr Tankbag :lol:

Moobage in my case :D

I have noticed how driving standards change dependant on where you go!

So true, some areas are very aggressive others more polite.

I loved Trinidad within reason when I was there you walked out into slow traffic and it slowed to let you cross. Driving if there was a gap they expected you to pull out and slowed to let you out. If you did not do either and they stopped you would find yourself they chastised you for not doing it.

In the uk I used to flash, to people pulling out of side roads into my direction of flow not crossing other traffic.

Then have got so fed up of dithering idiots that make you stop I now do not flash just ease of a touch or leave appropriate gap. If they go for it I just let them, if not it's no loss to me.

Then in my local city (Southampton) they drive very aggressively and I have become accustom to that. I would rather drive/ ride in London.

I don't flash people out - if they want to pull out then it's their responsibility to do the looking around and make the decision to emerge or not. I might slow down or allow a gap for them but I will not signal them out - that must be their decision alone.

Similarly, I ignore flashers when joining a carriageway and make my own assessment of whether it's safe to join or not.

The official meaning is 'Warning, I am here' but I don't think that it is illegal, per sa, to use it as an invitation to emerge. Will happilly accept a correction if so. Not that it means anything but even the police flash to let people out of junctions!

I was under the impression it was illegal, but that was an impression taken from the highway code. But as we know, the highway code isn't all law, its mainly (not so) common sense.

You've got me wondering now. I'm going to have to look this up

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

If I remember correctly, the use of the words "do not", which are not in bold or capital letters means it is legal. If it was illegal, it would read "you MUST NOT use [...]"

If i'm correct it's known to police as something like flash scammers. People on purposely flash so people pull out then crash into them and claim.

Correct! DHL have had such a problem they now have posters around their offices specifically warning of this scam. Although most of our vehicles have taken to fitting cameras.

What annoys me is people who flash but if they'd checked behind the road was totally clear after them so it'd have been easier for them to just go past! I never flash on the bike as no one seems to notice