Sold a car and now getting abuse

Classickid21

sold my daily run around yesterday young lad came round viewed the car drove it, i made sure he was happy by asking him, i am honest with my sales. everything he asked i gave him the details on.

Mot 3 months 1 advisory flew theough mot

Engine light o2 sensor replaced and light came on. He was happy with this

Interior rattled- drivers wing rattled. As stated in the auction

Pointed out it needed alloy refurb

He then made me an offer for less then the Asking price witch i accepted

We carried out and signed the logbook over.

He drove it back from hastings to tonbridge. No problems

10 mins ago got anasty abusive women ring me i kept my calm tried to speak to her and she didnt want to know i hung up she has rudely stated the car is coming back for exchange money refund... I sent the logbook first class yesterday. So there for isnt my car no longer and was stated as sold as seen he was happy. I told her to contact the police and she did not want to know.

How do i go of this now ? The money wont be refunded as logbook will be in her sons name soon ?

I will be informing the police if they arrive with all guns blazing.

I have used the car for few months and now getting a van in few months so no longer needed

Has anyone else had this problem

Like you said, sold as seen.

The End. If she wants to be abusive she can do one. If it were me and she had asked nicely for a refund, I'd have still said no. But, since she's being rude, tell her to swerve.

What was wrong with the car?

You don't mention it so I'm dubious :lol:

she just started screaming down the phone, i kept calm i have sent few texts across to keep a paper trail they are trying to say its a fake mot but its not genuine garage. It has genuine miles digital clocks. They keep calling i have barred there numbers apart from the buyer young lad. Paper trail. And i am willing to talk to the police but not her.

B

Like you said, sold as seen.

The End. If she wants to be abusive she can do one. If it were me and she had asked nicely for a refund, I'd have still said no. But, since she's being rude, tell her to swerve.

Hey thank you for replying i let him go over the car with a fine tooth pick i don't have nothing to hide and said two both callers please contact the police as i don't want to deal with them. If they turn up ill be informing the plod as useless as they are at time but being abusive isn't the way forward she wouldn't even let me or my partner speak. I had talk to her like a child was miss behaving in the end said call the police and hung up as i don't have anything to hide

Leave em back feed back, presume it was an ebay auction, that'll piss em off even more.

They can't leave you none :D

Hey thank you for the reply, it was eBay but wasn't sold on eBay as he came to view it before pressing buy it now. He just rang direct. I don't want to upset them any more they are already.

I have just looked up online some laws of buying and selling i did everything by the book, so hopefully be sorted soon or they may bog off. I have brought bikes in the past got home found loads problems, but then never contacted the previous owner being rude or nasty its the buyers responsibility to do the checks. Like hpi etc.

Leave em back feed back, presume it was an ebay auction, that'll piss em off even more.

Hey thank you for the reply, it was eBay but wasn't sold on eBay as he came to view it before pressing buy it now. He just rang direct. I don't want to upset them any more they are already.

I have just looked up online some laws of buying and selling i did everything by the book, so hopefully be sorted soon or they may bog off. I have brought bikes in the past got home found loads problems, but then never contacted the previous owner being rude or nasty its the buyers responsibility to do the checks. Like hpi etc.

Sounds like he's bought it with out mummy's say so, if it's a private sale ( presume it was and your not a trader ) then they not got a leg to stand on. If they ain't happy with mot just tell them to take it up with the mot station .

Sounds like he's bought it with out mummy's say so, if it's a private sale ( presume it was and your not a trader ) then they not got a leg to stand on. If they ain't happy with mot just tell them to take it up with the mot station .

Private sale, but the car was never processed into my name, as it was given to me. Because i did some work, logbook was given to me and never signed into my name. I made sure the lady i got the car from signed it and the new owner signed it. And been sent of. Does this class as a trader ? I pay my taxes but i don't buy and sell cars and the logbook was complete

think i agree with the other op here and mummy had no idea what her little boy was up to untill he turned up in it and she isnt happy maybe he is driving it about without licence or insurance and she not happy because of it,but at the end of the day the deal was between you and him and if they demand money back offer it to t hem less 50% handling fee and the fact you have no idea how its been abused since leaving with him

Jesus Christ CK - you had a vehicle with with a V5 and an MOT? :-)

You need to sharpen up bud - you can't not put a vehicle in your name just because you're only going to have it for a couple of months.

Jesus Christ CK - you had a vehicle with with a V5 and an MOT? :-)

You need to sharpen up bud - you can't not put a vehicle in your name just because you're only going to have it for a couple of months.

I know it sat on front drive way for most of the time i only used it for a month or so didn't expect to keep it or use it. Once i have my van sorted staying clear of hot hatches and i have a work shop full of bits to sell joys not looking forward to that.

think i agree with the other op here and mummy had no idea what her little boy was up to untill he turned up in it and she isnt happy maybe he is driving it about without licence or insurance and she not happy because of it,but at the end of the day the deal was between you and him and if they demand money back offer it to t hem less 50% handling fee and the fact you have no idea how its been abused since leaving with him

Hello

I agree too and 50% fee would be a good idea but i don't want it to come to that it was sold fair and honest. Its like buying a pair of boxers briefs wearing then then not washing them taken them to the shop and pulling a tantrum for your money back. Lol the car was test drove he took it for a short drive i told him to take it further.

Before he left with the keys i checked the car was insured, seemed genuine i checked askmid its insured i checked on total car check it has now got 12 months tax

The MOT is easy enough to Check online, if they appear just call the plod, don't even open the door to them,

Well i can't i am not even home the women wouldn't let me talk so she doesn't no this

Of to another vintage show tomorrow went to one today, so shes at hard luck as no one will be home.

I havant heard from her or the son since 6 in the evening. But i am sure they will be back on it tomorrow

Sounds like little jonny has taken a step into the big wide world without holding his mothers hand and she is acting out.

As long as all was disclosed then caveat emptor (buyer beware) and just for the record sold as seen isnt legally binding as an underlying issue that the buyer isnt made aware of thats not easily picked up cannot be covered by 'sold as seen' how ever, sound like her argument is with the origionality of the mialage, and mot garage competency which isnt your boggle and is her duty to prove or not so not to worry you prob wont hear much more on the subject

Sounds like little jonny has taken a step into the big wide world without holding his mothers hand and she is acting out.

As long as all was disclosed then caveat emptor (buyer beware) and just for the record sold as seen isnt legally binding as an underlying issue that the buyer isnt made aware of thats not easily picked up cannot be covered by 'sold as seen' how ever, sound like her argument is with the origionality of the mialage, and mot garage competency which isnt your boggle and is her duty to prove or not so not to worry you prob wont hear much more on the subject

Would be interested to see how it could be proved either way (sold as seen) couldn't a seller argue the issue wasn't present when sold etc etc? The little twat could have ragged the shit out of it for a day.

Would be interested to see how it could be proved either way (sold as seen) couldn't a seller argue the issue wasn't present when sold etc etc? The little twat could have ragged the shit out of it for a day.

Hello, i havant heard or spoken to the mother i was expecting to get home and the car sitting on the drive way. Must be all bark and no bite, or the fact i told them to contact the police as id rather deal with them, shut them up. If it shows up ill report it dumped as i rang the police the day insold the car about a cilo been sitting round the corner for 5 months with no mot ot tax or insurance. Tried to claim its found or to trace the owner so i could buy it but thats still sitting there i suspect that will be gone by tuesday afternoon. If the saxo does turn up its another one they can take.

I'd like to know what 'idiot' gave you a car and left it registered in their name. You have technically broken the law by not registering it in your name and if the boys mum suspects you are a part-time dealer and makes a big enough noise, you may have the taxman etc looking into your affairs.

I'd like to know what 'idiot' gave you a car and left it registered in their name. You have technically broken the law by not registering it in your name and if the boys mum suspects you are a part-time dealer and makes a big enough noise, you may have the taxman etc looking into your affairs.

Slap on the wrist lesson learnt. Wont happen again, Wont be selling any motor vechiles for a while. Maybe the odd bike bits

• 1 month later...

Wrong lesson learned? I would say, don't put up with it.

I sold a tiny item on Ebay as 'no returns', and the buyer returned it to me anyway and demanded a refund on a false pretext. I refused, explaining why I would not refund her. After that, she began bombarding me with one or two emails every day, with menaces and claiming her husband would come and visit me to extract the money.

I sent one final message to her saying I found the messages harassing, and if they continued I would report them to the police. They continued. Every time I received an actual threat, I reported it to the police. They (the police) have quite a file by now, and the culprit probably has a police record.

The point is, several offences may have been committed which the perpetrator may feel entitled to commit and immune from the consequences of simply on account of being a woman. A private contract of sale between two people is a civil matter, but persistent abuse and harassment by electronic means including phone calls and emails are a criminal matter according to recent legislation. So is demanding money by menaces, according to older law. And threatening bodily harm is actually assault, according to even older law! So report it. If the worst comes to the worst and someone turns up belligerently at your house, taking your silence to mean they are in the right, and their sex to mean they are immune from prosecution, having reported it is a good protection for you if the circumstances deteriorate.

I sold a tiny item on Ebay as 'no returns', and the buyer returned it to me anyway and demanded a refund on a false pretext. I refused, explaining why I would not refund her. After that, she began bombarding me with one or two emails every day, with menaces and claiming her husband would come and visit me to extract the money.

I sent one final message to her saying I found the messages harassing, and if they continued I would report them to the police. They continued. Every time I received an actual threat, I reported it to the police. They (the police) have quite a file by now, and the culprit probably has a police record.

The point is, several offences may have been committed which the perpetrator may feel entitled to commit and immune from the consequences of simply on account of being a woman. A private contract of sale between two people is a civil matter, but persistent abuse and harassment by electronic means including phone calls and emails are a criminal matter according to recent legislation. So is demanding money by menaces, according to older law. And threatening bodily harm is actually assault, according to even older law! So report it. If the worst comes to the worst and someone turns up belligerently at your house, taking your silence to mean they are in the right, and their sex to mean they are immune from prosecution, having reported it is a good protection for you if the circumstances deteriorate.

Hi

Sorry for rather late reply been a busy bee lately, well 2 weeks after I sold the car the young chat contacted me asking if I knew the code for the radio... that much of a death trap he was driving it... I was later to find out that the was advertised for £1200 .... I sold the car for around £300-350 wasn't a great deal.. I think they was trying there luck. I haven't replied to any message or heard from any one luckily. lesson learnt.. don't get me started with Ebay! Evilbay

complete rip of sell something for 6 pounds and send of for free end up with about a pound of the money. so many scammers too unfortunately I am still using the poxy site to sell the remains of the last storage unit. still find lots of morons

I had some greif a couple of years ago when I sold my mitsubishi FTO. It was a very clean low mileage car with no faults at all, only 17,000 on the clock. I advertised it for good money on the basis of its condition. After a couple of months I had a chap from Scotland email me saying that he wanted the car and if he flew down would I pick him up at the airport and let him drive the car back. I agreed, picked him up, took him for a test drive, we did the deal and then he drove the car back. The following day I recieved an abusive email from him saying that the car had broken down on the way and that it was not as I had described it. he said he was going to have a forensic examination of the car to find out if the milage was genuine or not and that if I diddnt offer to refund him some money he would be taking me to court. Basically he paid a top price for the car and then he changed his mind later, I dont believe the car gave him any problems at all. I just politely told him that the car was accurately described, sold as seen and inspected by him and that I had no responsibility for it whatsoever after he had taken it away (caveat emptor). I never heard from him again. He was just a nob, you come across them occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly mate, think you might have been fobbed off if you wanted a result from the Police. The first occasion after you told her to stop would/should have resulted in a first instance harassment warning. Anything after would be arrest/summons, as the course of conduct has not ceased. For them to have a large file shows they are doing nothing with it. It doesn't matter if it's three emails or a hundred, the offence is complete. This legislation isn't new. Malicious communications is different, and again, is not new legislation. Threatening you over email etc is not an assault, it's malicious comms at best.

If things have stopped for you, that's good, but if not, get back onto them and ask what the f*ck is going on.

Hope this helps...

Firstly mate, think you might have been fobbed off if you wanted a result from the Police. The first occasion after you told her to stop would/should have resulted in a first instance harassment warning. Anything after would be arrest/summons, as the course of conduct has not ceased. For them to have a large file shows they are doing nothing with it. It doesn't matter if it's three emails or a hundred, the offence is complete. This legislation isn't new. Malicious communications is different, and again, is not new legislation. Threatening you over email etc is not an assault, it's malicious comms at best.

If things have stopped for you, that's good, but if not, get back onto them and ask what the f*ck is going on.

Hope this helps...

Agreed. However, even though it's malicious comms, it's also assault ("“the intentional creation of a reasonable apprehension of harm”). Malicious communications legislation is newer law than the very old common law crime of assault, although emailed threats would most likely be prosecuted under the recent legislation. This is largely irrelevant other than to prove that the culprit could be prosecuted for several crimes, although most likely to be prosecuted under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. I fully understand that the offence is complete (there is evidence of 'persistent' harassment as required by the 1997 Act). Things have stopped for the time being, but I may go back and ask for police follow-up. The main reason I complained to the police was for my own (legal) protection in case things escalated.