How Volkswagen did it

Tiggie

This sort of thing has been going on for years on bikes too

PAIR systems and secondary air systems basically put fresh air in to the exhaust at low revs to dilute the emissions

I think this is just the start of it all

Watch out for re-banding of tax groups on cars now!!

f**king "independent think tank". :roll: The cynics among us might suggest that the US were looking for a reason to get the nasty European oil burners out and the UK govt have been gagging to put up RFL for yonks.

What's the betting every man, woman, child and budgie over the water will try it on for a bit of compensation because they say a diesel Jetta once...

Compared to Jag and Volvo, the German makers produced diesels that are surprisingly efficient, fats and with low emissions. I suspect this may be an issue for Germany.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... volkswagen

"Auto Bild said the BMW X3 xDrive 20d exceeded limits on nitrogen oxides emissions more than elevenfold in road tests by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT). This is even worse than the VW Passat’s performance.

Peter Mock of ICCT told the magazine: “All data suggests that this issue is not confined to VW.”

I wonder if I could return my car to the dealer if it turns out it's pumping out far more pollutants than i was led to believe under SOGA.

It's a skoda octavia VRS, but has the same power plant as a VW golf - so i would imagine falls under this umberalla.

I wonder if I could return my car to the dealer if it turns out it's pumping out far more pollutants than i was led to believe under SOGA.

It's a skoda octavia VRS, but has the same power plant as a VW golf - so i would imagine falls under this umberalla.

I was thinking the same

Although I have a petrol SEAT ibiza its a 1.2 turbo thats pretty nippy with high MPG and low tax

It cost me extra for that engine and one of the main reasons we got it is because of the low tax bracket too

my issue will be is if they start digging deeper and find that more cars are like this even petrol ones and that the tax bracket goes up! you can claim compensation for this and they have set aside a huge chunk of dosh for this already

At the moment I'm not worried as it only seems like certain diesels nor will I be worried if it does turn out to be the same with mine as I will just go the compensation route

VW are not alone on this scam I'll wage you. VW make some of the most sophisticated diesel engines on the planet, the other manufactures have nowhere near the R&D facilities at there disposal. What's the betting that the guzzling trucks and cars the American build don't blatantly break the law? I think they will have to rewrite the rule books on emissions over this. The regulators have constantly be rising the bar and the car industry up till now managed to get over it. When the biggest builder of diesel engines on the planet has to cheat to get over it then the bar has been set to high. Electric car anyone?! I think this will be the start of it.

thats my thoughts exactly Chris

VW know their stuff and are the biggest out there and if they have to do this to get through then what are the lesser companies doing!

I think this is going to be a massive can of worms

I am amazed that people actually thought diesels were the planets saviour. I never bought into all the bollocks spouted by all and sundry. Only idiots believe the fuel figures put out by car makers and their false testing measures

Already happening :(

Basically rich people are able to afford hybrids producing 50g/km of C02 and the government have decided a "fairer" system is required. In which working and middle class people who can't afford these swanky low emission hybrids anyway and are going tax free with cars like mine must now go from paying nothing to paying £130 or thereabouts for tax and now tax free will be 50g/km or less.

Coming in during 2017 if I read the paper correctly.

As usual, rich find a way not to pay tax so they bill the rest of us :evil:

Basically rich people are able to afford hybrids producing 50g/km of C02 and the government have decided a "fairer" system is required. In which working and middle class people who can't afford these swanky low emission hybrids anyway and are going tax free with cars like mine must now go from paying nothing to paying £130 or thereabouts for tax and now tax free will be 50g/km or less.

I knew that was going to happen anyway!

its like everything make it cheap then when there is loads about hike the tax up!

they did it with diesels years ago when diesel was cheaper than petrol

loads went to diesel then they hiked the price

same with LPG which pisses me off due to the fact it is a by-product of petrol and they burn it off anyway but because cars are running on it they have hiked the price up! I remember when LPG was 15p a litre!

but what I am talking about is all these low emissions diesels will all get re banded now and you will end up paying a lot more

just looked this up and it only applies to cars registered after 2017 so your car will be fine but if you get a new one after 1st April 2017 then things change

more info here

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/ved-road- ... -0182-2060

from paying nothing to paying £130 or thereabouts for tax and now tax free will be 50g/km or less.

Well its was obvious that this was unsustainable. I think all cars should be taxed heavily at the start then the tax rate drops the longer you keep them. As the initial material cost to make a new car "green" is stupid. They only make "green" sense once they have been on the road for years anyway.

When you consider that we in Britain produce less than 1% of the world pollution and of that less than 1% we produce 60% of that 1% is produced by businesses. So the general public produce less than 0.4% of the world pollution. Yet its still not good enough for the powers that be. So we get hammered by green taxes because we can't meet some made up targets.

Look at the wind farms. They get subsidies to build the bloody things, subsidies to stick them on their land , they don't work when it not windy and produce less power at nights ( when its needed) due to nights usually being less windy than the day, they have to be turned off if it gets too windy and they get paid to turn them off when we don't need the power. Plus you also need a fall back power supply anyway for when they are not working due to calm days. So how the f*** they can be green is beyond me.

Its all a load of old bollocks and I'm sick of it.

Nuclear power is by far the cleanest and safest form of power, but since everyone is scared of it, no government would ever push it forward.

We could all be driving electric cars powered from the road (like bumper cars) if our powergrids were powered by nuclear.