TMBF 125cc Idiot Challenge discussion

RantMachine

So what's the consensus?

Chinese only or do we allow Japanese too? Certainly opens up more possibilities but it gives a high likelihood that we all turn up on old CGs and finish without much trouble.

I think both are fair game. Let's be honest, there won't be too many Jap bikes that show up in this range. That CG I posted is the old type with front and rear drum brakes, and who knows what else might be wrong with it. And even if the NSR isn't stolen, it still needs some top end work. And god knows how badly they've both been looked after. At the end of the day, anyone who rocks up on a completely unmodified CG125 is going to (A) Have the piss ripped out of them for being lazy (B) Score sod all points for the bike © Have a very fun time trying to stop when we go on a dual carriageway, with those drums :lol:

I would hope that even people who snap up a fully functional peach of a Jap bike (for the price) will still sink £100 tricking it out and making it fun so that they stand a chance of scoring some points for effort. Hell, if the bike works fine for £300 then that's £100 for airbox and exhaust mods, re-jetting, changing the gearing, and repainting. Teenage-hooligan-tastic!

Right, so how about this for a rough update to the rule set:

Don't care which country the bike is from, but anybody that scores a Jap bike in decent working condition had damn well better customise it a bit!

£300 budget for bike, any money left over can be added to repair/upgrade budget

£100 base budget for upgrades or repairs - bikes will be scored for their character! We want to see bodges, custom paint jobs, etc :lol:

Scooters are fair game, but prepare to struggle with the challenges and be mocked in general

Same goes for sub-125cc bikes

Bike must have an MOT (duh)

Remember that you will have to be able to insure it! :lol:

I don't really care if it's safe or not, I just won't ride too close to you :wink:

If we try and get crowdfunding, we might all need to record a short video diary about choosing and prepping the bike - at very least, a walk-around talking about the bike and the work done to it.

All riders are advised to get a helmet cam! I can potentially use my camera equipment to catch some decent footage, but footage from everyone's POV would be a plus.

Can continue to polish this as we go, of course. Could also tweak it to make it more affordable, if necessary. I'll work out challenges ASAP so people can potentially have them in mind while choosing or modding their bike!

Oh, and here's one last thought: How about we say that there is a penalty for NOT spending the whole £100 repair and upgrade budget, but no penalty for not spending the whole bike budget? That makes it a more attractive proposition to get a dirt cheap bike and fix it up, rather than get a decent bike than needs little or no work. Or get a £300 bike that works fine then go nuts with the customisation.

I'll be on that as soon as possible, hopefully will start throwing some ideas out there later today! If anyone has a suggestion to throw in, go for it!

So far I'm loving the idea of a hill climb challenge like Throttled suggested, 25% or steeper. That tests not just the bike but how well the rider can work it.

Also keen to do something similar to the suggestion of seeing just how much crap the bike can carry, Indian biker style.

I think a drag race needs to happen, too - got to be somewhere good we can do that :lol:

The off road test is a must, we just need a decent sandy stretch. Dunes would be a bonus.

I'll work on some criteria for how the looks of the bikes will be judged, too - just to give people some ideas.

Obviously it doesn't have a direct impact on me as I won't be buying one, so I leave it to you guys.

As a start point for the discussion, if we're aiming to do this before the end of season run it would probably be best to get the bikes before the summer to allow time for working on them and getting them MOT'ed, and potentially then working on them some more. So maybe something like end of June at the absolute latest? That gives four paycheques in which to save up if necessary. Of course, smart money would be to buy sooner rather than later if possible as the prices invariably go up as the weather improves.

Once I have a clearer idea of who is going for it, it'll be easier to ensure that everyone is kept up to date!

Wow! All this planning is yelling "This is your worst or best idea ever" :lol:

Another idea is people chip in as part of a team with different members riding the bike on different challenges. At the end you sell the bike and distribute the cash evenly between folks.

Again, just an idea!

Either way I'm thinking this forum will need a sub section in the project area called "Member build off" where we document our projects throughout the year then vote for our favourite at the end!

It would likely happen as there's a lot of interest in doing this challenge.

How about this, then:

You can work in pairs if you want to ease the cost, BUT you have go to two-up for the main road trip component as a result :mrgreen:

Of course one person can get off for the challenges to keep it fair.

As long as one or both of you has a policy on your main bike that covers riding other people's bikes, you only need the bike insured in one persons name, so no extra cost there.

It's just a case of finding one that has problems that you are familiar with - in my case, as long as it only has problems with the carb, forks, shock, linkage, chain, sprockets, drums, discs, clutch, water pump, valves, head gasket, aaaaaaand solenoid, I'm golden :lol:

I saw a great one yesterday (can't find the link now), the description just said "WILL NEED SOME WORK BECAUSE MY SON HAS NO RESPECT FOR ANYTHING"

I did a spit-take when I read that...

If I can somehow find £300 spare before the buying deadline, I can almost promise you that there will be a Mad Max bike. I have a head full of terrible ideas and this is the perfect opportunity to put them into practise.

Just as well, I'm a fellow spirit in terms of terrible ideas. :lol:

If I can find a bike I actually think will make it before the deadline I'll do it.

Hate to bring up the words health and/or safety, I've had some sub-£300 bikes become death traps after an MOT. Like my first RS125, it was £196. I MOT'd it, and then 3 months later the engine let go at 60mph and it exploded into a thousand bits against the side of a low wall near Matlock.

I don't want a great idea like this to be scarred by an accident that happens to an unsuspecting member!

We wouldn't suggest a bike below £1000 to newbies on the forum. So I think the budget needs a look at.

Hate to be captain sensible on this matter as I'm sure it will render me unpopular but SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. :lol:

Yeah, nah, no fun in that.

We're all big kids who know what we're getting into, jamming the budget up to a serious chunk of money like £1000 is going to stop it being just a bit of silly fun for all but the wealthiest forum members. Nobody is going to be forced to ride beyond what they think their bike is capable of, after all. I would hope that nobody would wilfully ride a bike that is an absolute death trap, but I'm not going to be the one to tell anyone that they can't.

Yeah, nah, no fun in that.

We're all big kids who know what we're getting into, jamming the budget up to a serious chunk of money like £1000 is going to stop it being just a bit of silly fun for all but the wealthiest forum members. Nobody is going to be forced to ride beyond what they think their bike is capable of, after all. I would hope that nobody would wilfully ride a bike that is an absolute death trap, but I'm not going to be the one to tell anyone that they can't.

Exactly, we're all big and ugly enough to know what we're doing!

But it would put a dampener on the whole thing is my concern.

Also the £1000 is what we suggest to newbie riders as a bare minimum. I'm not suggesting we use this as a budget, only putting in perspective ours is a little low. I mean most of us could likely make the money back if the bike survives the ordeal, but I think £400-£500 is a safer limit. As it wouldn't exclude break downs but I think it would go a long way to exclude death traps!

I once bought a scrap bike with the frame cut at the bottom and I didn't spot it until after a couple of rides. It was held together by good will and the headstock. It had an MOT!

I'm just on the side of caution as I can't tell people not to, but I can suggest we try to eliminate risk where we can easily without impacting on the experience :)