removing broken bolts

mealexme

So, as part of my ZX6r project, I want to get into the ignition barrel to fix the problem I have with inserting/removing the key. Basically, the key works fine on the seat lock and petrol tank, it also turns smoothly once the the key is inserted and WD-40 makes no difference.

So, I'm thinking that one of the wafers is either bent of severely worn/rusted.

I had a look at it on the bike, and was hoping there would be a couple of bolts underneath to get into it, but nothing. All there is are these bolts which look like they have ben over tightened to the point that the heads have snapped to prevent tampering.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/mealexme/bike/20160311_151249_zpsd4llhksq.jpg

So now I'm wondering the best way in.

I know extractor kits work well on wood screws, but are they heavy duty enough to remove bolts which I can only presume have also been treated with loctite?

Otherwise the only other option I'm left with is drilling them out, but the way I've done this in the past is by drilling the head off, to allow the pieces to separate, then using pliars to extract the rest of the bolt - which won't work in this scenario.

So any help would be appreciated, and any links to tools I should get would also be helpful. Last time I tried to buy drill bits for metal work, I think I ended up buying wood bits :oops:

they are snap head bolts the idea of them is t o tighten them until the head shears off to prevent tampering you can either drill into them and use an easy out or use a fine chisel to tap them round to undo them both can be a pain to do but both will work or if you are not going to reuse that ign switch you could cut the side of it off to espose the side of the bolt then tap it with chisel once you have made it turn then it will come out slowly

yup anti tamper bolts

top tip use a large drill bit to just take the head off so you leave something to purchase some grips on to otherwise you wont get them out as they will be held in with lock tight too so a bit of heat will help

I've given up with easyouts. I'd weld a nut on the top and wind it out - soooo much easier than pissing about with drills, taps and all that jazz. Plus I'd have an excuse to weld something to something else. :-)

I had to change the ignition on my Ninja and encountered the same bolts, to my disbelief they just cracked out with a torx key :o might not be as bad as they look.

I have managed to get a bolt like that out by using an old screwdriver and a mallet to bang little grooves into the head so that an extractor (a kit I got from Aldi) can bite in and unscrew.

Managed to get them out with a combination of drilling (not centered due to the thickness of the drill and closeness of the bolt to the side of the ignition) and a center punch to tap the bolt anti-clockwise to get it out

Managed to get them out with a combination of drilling (not centered due to the thickness of the drill and closeness of the bolt to the side of the ignition) and a center punch to tap the bolt anti-clockwise to get it out

Good stuff, this method usually gets most out.

For big bolts I agree the welder is often better, unless you have access to cut a slot with a rotary tool and cutting disc. Because then you just smack it loose with a chisel and hammer.

How is the project going overall?

Good stuff, this method usually gets most out.

For big bolts I agree the welder is often better, unless you have access to cut a slot with a rotary tool and cutting disc. Because then you just smack it loose with a chisel and hammer.

How is the project going overall?

Getting there. http://www.themotorbikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=59741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Hopefully starting on the brakes today