Hi,

I think this might be a good thread to add an additional question. I am new to biking and I was just picking the gear. I am looking into the boots but not quite sure what is the best choice.

I found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006T08K4S/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B006T08K4S&linkCode=as2&tag=lucgir06-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I am not sure if I should pay attention to anything here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's all personal preference and what your budget allows Freezing.

I have a pair of RST and a pair of Alpinestar.

RST I use virtually daily commuting and find to be good value.

The Alpinestar were a bit more expensive although same design and spec ish and tend to use more on the very very rare occasions I'm dicking about on the bike.

Go to your nearest decent store n be a right royal pain in the ass.

Spend however long it takes. Don't be rushed. Get an ill fitting pair and you will be in bits. :cry:

I will repeat again... RST Tractech Evo waterproof will do no wrong! I use alpinestar smx too but that's for really sunny warm days as they have ventilation.

Don't buy Alpinestar, when the owner of a shop showed me how flashy big absolutely shit and bendy all the Alpinestar boots are compared to similar or lesser priced boots made me contemplating getting rid of my Alpinestar jacket!

Agree with most of the people who have posted above :) Richa and RST are good starters but find what fits you well and if you're still unsure of the brand / model, post the names back in here and you're sure to get replies :D

I started with Frank Thomas that did me well enough, then lindstrands which lasted me Years!

I've just moved into a pair of Sidis after searching for well over a year for a pair I really liked that fitted me well though :mrgreen:

Take your time, uncomfortable gear can be a real nightmare in the long run..

I see. Thanks for the answers.

What brands would you suggest?

Get Alpinestars SMX 5. The best boots ever :D

Go try them in the nearest Infinity shop first:

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/alpinestars-smx-5-motorcycle-boots-black/789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't buy Alpinestar, when the owner of a shop showed me how flashy big absolutely shit and bendy all the Alpinestar boots are compared to similar or lesser priced boots made me contemplating getting rid of my Alpinestar jacket!

Have you tried them at all? Because Alpinestars are the most comfortable boots I ever had. Way better comfort than RST and even more expenisive ones like Dainese.

A* also have one of the best protection as well. I have crashed in them and can vouch for that.

Have you tried them at all? Because Alpinestars are the most comfortable boots I ever had. Way better comfort than RST and even more expenisive ones like Dainese.

A* also have one of the best protection as well. I have crashed in them and can vouch for that.

I haven't even tried one on in all honesty, but when the shop owner (Custom Lids - Newcastle) showed me the difference fro the Alpinestars to the other brands... it convinced me.

I haven't even tried one on in all honesty, but when the shop owner (Custom Lids - Newcastle) showed me the difference fro the Alpinestars to the other brands... it convinced me.

My alpinestars seem no more flexible than my rst boots and I use both. Have also used sidi. If anything the alpinestars have the most secure fit as you have an internal boot you have a pull cord on and then the external zip and ratchet fastener.

I originally hated alpinestar boots as they were too dam big and bulky hence sold my first pair. Reluctantly tried a new pair on advice of my bike shop and they sold me on fit and feel.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with A*s

I bought the SMX5 and after only wearing them a handful of times the screws that held the supports to the ankle decided to undo themselves so I exchanged the for the SMX6 plus and again within only a handful of times of wearing the Velcro tab on the right boot kept letting go which allowed to zip to undo itself. Every time I got to where I was going and got off the bike the boot would be completely unzipped completely compromising the safety of the boot.

I then exchanged these for a pair of TCX gortex sport touring boot (can't remember the exact model) and these are fantastic (apart from the squeaking when walking) comfier than the A*s by a mile. I've had these a year now and they are still spot on

Edit: big up to SportsBikeShop for both exchanges no questions asked.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with A*s

I bought the SMX5 and after only wearing them a handful of times the screws that held the supports to the ankle decided to undo themselves so I exchanged the for the SMX6 plus and again within only a handful of times of wearing the Velcro tab on the right boot kept letting go which allowed to zip to undo itself. Every time I got to where I was going and got off the bike the boot would be completely unzipped completely compromising the safety of the boot.

I then exchanged these for a pair of TCX gortex sport touring boot (can't remember the exact model) and these are fantastic (apart from the squeaking when walking) comfier than the A*s by a mile. I've had these a year now and they are still spot on

Edit: big up to SportsBikeShop for both exchanges no questions asked.

I have got the TCX Sport Gortex boots and they are bang on. Only bad thing Is the squeaking which I cannot get rid of.

I had another pair of TCX before but the zip gave up after 2 years.

I tried the alpinestar and the RST boots buy neither felt as comfortable for me.

All very nice and hardcore Im sure.. but, dont forget its nearly almost practically and to all intents and purposes imminently summer.. long BONE DRY balmy days for weeks on end.. and no rain until october.. typical british climate.. who needs goretex and all the rest.

http://i.imgur.com/5ErZxL5.jpg

I've still got my Alpinestars, but don't really rate them for comfort tbh. And they creak like a bitch! Best boots I've ever had were XPD with the Kevlar insert (XPD 7 I think). We're comfy as a pair of trainers, quiet and well made.

My Alpinestars crashed well though, I only suffed a broken toe on my right foot :wink: