Changing tyres - top tips?

Mr Fro

I've been playing around taking tyres off and on and am having some problems.

Steel rims are no problems as they're good and hard but the bike rims I just end up with loads of little nicks. I've tried those rim saver things which are more trouble than they are use. I also use liberal amounts of tyre soap. These are the levers/protectors I'm using.

The bit where I do the most damage is getting the second bead over the rim when fitting as I only manage to get the tip of the lever on the rim due to going under the first bead.

I'm getting my rims back from the powder coater this week and I don't want to shag them in the first five minutes so has anyone got any burning tips to help me out?

Cheers,

Fro

Edit: Just had a thought... Could I use a bit of paracord a-la how we used to fit windscreens in the olden days?

I am getting one for these in a week or two!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-TC965-Tyre-Changer-Motorcycle-ATV-Bike-Motorbike-Go-Kart-up-to-21-/140663801481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with one of these to go with it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172224996884?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will let you know how I get on with it!

I have always struggled using the levers method these look so much easier!

this is on a car tyre but I reckon bike tyres will be a little harder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLhUYQ8geM

I was going to make one but its my birthday soon and can't think of anything I want! plus I cant be arsed to make one :lol:

It does look a lot easier! I will let you know when it comes as I have a front to change :lol:

Loads of best washing up liquid and stand on the tyre to get the bead on.

That's what I do but I don't do it on important bikes - I use shops for them just in case... Just the 125s. Works though...

That's be great Stu.

EAB - nearest decent bike place to me is 45 mins away and they need a couple of weeks notice for weekend stuff.

Shop in St. Ives is 'while you wait' and charged me £10 last time (PR3 - Rear on the 1250 Bandit) - Included balancing and valve.

Nb. I bought the tyre on-line and had it delivered direct to them.

:cheers:

I just changed my motocross tyre on the weekend which was 100/100-18.

Event with copious amounts of washing up liquid and the right tools it was such a struggle. Ended up ditching the rim protectors and using brute force! Definitely would never attempt it on a wider and smaller diameter tyre.

For the sake of a ride and a small amount of cash I'd say take it to a shop.

A lot of it depends on the tyres you are fitting too

I have done some very easily and I have seen a tyre fitter struggle with a tyre machine! all on the same rim with the same size tyre just a different brand!

A lot of it depends on the tyres you are fitting too

I have done some very easily and I have seen a tyre fitter struggle with a tyre machine! all on the same rim with the same size tyre just a different brand!

The slim 21" I put on the front was a piece of cake. The The fatter 18" though was a nightmare.

as I say a lot of it depends on the tyre

you could fit a different brand and find the front hard but the rear easy!

I have changed a lot of tyres and have struggled with both front and rears and had some that just slip on really easily!

Well I did the trailer tyres last night - piece of piss. They'd been out all day in the sun so were nice and flexible. That and a load of tyre soap and they went on no problem. :-)

Oponeo have lost the front bike tyre and the rims still aren't back yet so it's cutting it a bit close to get everything done and dusted for Sunday.

your not having much luck with those tyres and wheels!

I have just ordered my tyre changer and bar for alloy wheels

about £230 delivered should be here middle of next week!

But won't be allowed it till my birthday next Saturday :roll: we'll see about that!

I have a tyre to fit before I go away on the bike! :lol:

I've been playing around taking tyres off and on and am having some problems.

Steel rims are no problems as they're good and hard but the bike rims I just end up with loads of little nicks. I've tried those rim saver things which are more trouble than they are use. I also use liberal amounts of tyre soap. These are the levers/protectors I'm using.

The bit where I do the most damage is getting the second bead over the rim when fitting as I only manage to get the tip of the lever on the rim due to going under the first bead.

I'm getting my rims back from the powder coater this week and I don't want to shag them in the first five minutes so has anyone got any burning tips to help me out?

Cheers,

Fro

Edit: Just had a thought... Could I use a bit of paracord a-la how we used to fit windscreens in the olden days?

Buy a new lever thats is curved. Ive not read any replys but get the wheel on the floor, push the tyre on past the 1st bead, push the second bead past the rim, push down and forward so it sits in the deepest part of the rim, kneel on it and push the rest of the tyre on use the bar for the last bit.

as I say a lot of it depends on the tyre

you could fit a different brand and find the front hard but the rear easy!

I have changed a lot of tyres and have struggled with both front and rears and had some that just slip on really easily!

Dunlops are the hardest to fit because the sidewalls are so stiff.

I do alot of bike tyre changes but i remove and fit car and van tyres to.

You NEED to get the back of the tyre down and into the deepest part of the rim, otherwise your fighting a loosing battle.

The more you change the more you develop the knack for it.

Tell me about it - worst bunch of luck I've had in a while.

Now the forecast is thunderstorms all day. :roll: Won't be going that on slicks! I'm going to see if oponeo or DPD will cough up for the cost of the day seeing as they've cocked up.

Kneeling on the tyre in conjunction with loads of lube seems to do the bizzo. Even managed to get the bead seated with a foot pump. :-)

Tell me about it - worst bunch of luck I've had in a while.

Now the forecast is thunderstorms all day. :roll: Won't be going that on slicks! I'm going to see if oponeo or DPD will cough up for the cost of the day seeing as they've cocked up.

Kneeling on the tyre in conjunction with loads of lube seems to do the bizzo. Even managed to get the bead seated with a foot pump. :-)

Doubt it, i always order tyres well in advance. Took them 4 weeks to deliver me a front.

Mate ordered a supercorsa and a rosso corsa turned up, refused to swap it unless he paid again then they would collect the rosso and then refund.

Can a bike rim not fit on a car tyre machine?..... If so.....

I change all my tyres myself, second bead is the toughest as the first just falls on with a twist. When you have got half the tyre bead in kneeling on the side you have put on already makes all the difference.

Me and a couple mates are gona chip in and buy a nomar tyre changer i think