Fell off bike on second lesson

Hello everyone...! Just hoping for a bit of reassurance I guess. Im just home from my second lesson and during it I accelerates after panicing and fell off the bike, bringing my poor instructor down with me. It's left me pretty shaken and thinking how on earth would I cope on a busy motorway. I know it's only the second lesson but it's made me think I wont be able to handle potentially scary situations in the future! Anyone any tips or words of wisdom Id be so happy to hear from you! Many thanks!

Hello!

Well most people have had a tumble at some point in their biking life whether on a lesson or after 35 years. I myself have thrown a 125 down the road (grabbing all the front brake in the wet). You're at a point where the learning curve is very steep but we're all still learning every time we go out. You're by no means the first to make a bit of a spoon up in your lessons and you won't be the last!

The first question is do you want to carry on? After my down I wanted to carry on. I assessed why it went wrong (I was an idiot) and learnt a good lesson from that. And I wanted to ride again and go on to to my das.

The more you ride the more the riding bit becomes subconscious and you can spend more brain power on assessing the road and spotting potential issues before they become a problem.

Think of your instructor, he'll assess and learn from what happened and carry on riding because he loves it :)

I'm not going to say you're never going to be in a position where it isn't scary because we've all had squeaky bum moments but your ability to react and assess will improve dramatically with experience and the love of riding out weighs the holymoly eeeep moments.

So the second question is, do you want to carry on? :mrgreen:

I broke my wrist after hitting the back of a car while a learner. 6 weeks later the bike was fixed so I got back on it riding (not totally sure if wrist healed). I've been riding since that incident in 2004 and got my licence. I have also dropped a few bikes on the driveway.

Your gonna come off at some point but you got it out the way already :) if you want to keep going, don't let this stop you. Happens to all of us at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You fell off your push bike, when you were small, you brished off the dirt in your bloody knees and got back on.

Wait do kids still still ride push bikes?

On their playstations I think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I thought I posted my reply but dont think it went through! Thankyou all for taking the time to reply, very kind! I think if Ive learned anything from my ten minute lesson (it was cut short because my instructor had some minor replairs to do!) its that I shouldnt do a lesson after work when Im tired and half listening. So silver linings! I'll feel better tomorrow, my grandad was driving his bike well into his eighties so he is my motivation! I think it will take me a long time to learn but I think I want to learn slowly so I feel better about it all. Thankyou again for the reassurance and words of encouragement- it's helped massively! Safe travels x

A friend told me once learning how to fall should be full part of the driving training. Not sure it'd be doable though...

Falling is one thing, being scared of falling is another, more easily fixable. And if you're to gain experience from falling, it's better to do it with the school's bike now than with yours later :wink:

Very few riders have not dropped their bike at some point.......The thing is to understand what happened and learn from it...... :wink:

There's a lot to get the hang of when you first start riding, but it doesn't take long for a lot of it to develop into muscle memory. ....giving you the time to concentrate on enjoying the ride. So, don't beat yourself up over this......get back on the bike and chalk this one down to the learning experience. ..... 8-)

You's have made my evening- thankyou so much. I will definately keep you updated on how I get on! Good to know Im not the first and wont be the last! :-)

Nooo, i fell off the day before my test on an mx bike. Just have to hope you don't break too bad carry on regardless :D

Best of luck, never give up. Better his bike than yours, although knocking him off too was a bit harsh.

After I passed Direct Accesss, as it was then, I bought an immaculate 1 yr old bike, went to work on it on the Monday, then dropped it in front of everyone at hometime when they're all lined up to watch me ride off! :oops:

Best of luck, never give up. Better his bike than yours, although knocking him off too was a bit harsh.

After I passed Direct Accesss, as it was then, I bought an immaculate 1 yr old bike, went to work on it on the Monday, then dropped it in front of everyone at hometime when they're all lined up to watch me ride off! :oops:

Omg! Nightmare - although I'm pmsl right now :D

Many years ago a mate of mine picked a brand new bike up and his first ride on it was to a big bike meet where we were all waiting to see his new toy......He rode in, stopped and went to put his foot down......Unfortunately his jeans leg got caught on the footpeg and he just fell over sideways......to a huge round of applause from the big crowd of bikers........We did help him up though.......when we'd stopped laughing enough to actually be able to help him...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Falling off on lesson two is OK, but nailing your instructor at the same time is epic! :lol:

Seriously though, someone once said there are two types of biker: those who have fallen off, and those who are going to fall off. Or they might have been talking about punctures... I forget... but nevertheless, there it is.

My wife fell off during one of her lessons. In fact we went through a period of paying for a replacement brake or clutch lever at the end of every lesson because she'd dumped the damn thing during the slow speed manouevres. After she fell off on one of the road rides she got demoralised and said she'd had enough. Ever the loving husband, I gave her one of my pep talks (think Gunnery Sergeant Hartman when Private Pyle can't get over the obstacle course and you'll have it). She got back on the next day, realised she loved it and has never looked back.

Jump back on and stick with it. And don't fret about motorways - that's the easiest riding you'll ever do! :thumb:

You's have made my evening- thankyou so much. I will definately keep you updated on how I get on! Good to know Im not the first and wont be the last! :-)

You should have seen me crashing in a row of parked cars on my first bike ride. Bare in mind the bike was two stroke and they accelerate much faster then the current 4 strokes LOL

You will be fine, the clutch is your friend make sure if you panic squeeze the clutch. That helps. And invest in GoPro...

Don't worry about it! I binned my 125 by grabbing a handful of front brake on wet leaves. Then when I'd only just passed my test and got an SV650N, I tried to do a u turn on it and dropped it. The Z is the only bike I haven't dropped ... although I almost did on the ride home from the dealer! It has much better brakes than the SV; I was approaching a red light, braked, did a stoppie and almost binned the bike!

Thanks for these posts guys- but how do you get over the 'shit I might die!' Im studying to work in healthcare and see kids in wheelchairs and stuff- it makes me feel selfish that I'm taking this risk when I consider myself to be so lucky...But i still want to learn...!

'shit I might die!'

I have bikers following me that say that about me

Self preservation and not pushing yourself beyound your abilities. Usually things go wrong when you push yourself. The bike will take much more than most will throw at it.

If you keep observant treat every driver as a complete imbosile, and make yourself seen and heard. If they miss all that decent boots take mirrors off easily :wink: