Mod 1 training debacle

I managed to spend my Sunday morning managing to show the other chap in our training session exactly how not to do every single test item in the Mod 1. We were lucky enough to get access to the dvsa pan and once I went through the gates it was like I had forgotten how to turn the bike to the right. Slow speed control was fine in a straight line, but the 8's were way too wide, and I lost count of the number of failed U-turns I tried. And I got the high score on hitting cones.

I even managed to go outside the red cones on the corner on the right hand turn.... That was when the instructor suggested we leave it there. I went into the curve at 20mph, and as I turned right I couldn't get over the sensation that I wasn't going to make the turn and of course that is when it comes true. With U-turns as soon as I start I feel I am too fast and then it all goes south. But on slow speed control when going straight it is fine, I was told I had to speed up on that part. Interestingly, when we did the U on the right hand circuit (so not turning into the fence) it went reasonably well. The ride to and from the centre was fine, though my life savers got missed a couple of times, you'd think the title they have would remind me of their importance.

And don't start me on helmet / glasses combination - managed to break my glasses trying to wedge them in, and they made the bridge of my nose feel like it had been punched - I might even try contacts for the first time. Ditto the radio earpiece, I think that was made for Prince Charles...

In my defence, today was my second time on a 650 (yesterday was the first, prior to that I had only done CBT) so I feel a lot of it is still getting used to the bike. But yesterday in the training school car park went a lot better, don't know why it went downhill so fast today. And being the Jockanese weirdo I am, the ride in the rain today was probably the best experience I have had in years :)

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. I'm quite surprised how little time you've had on a bigger bike. I did 3 or 4 days on one prior to my mod1.

And while I'd thoroughly recommend contact lenses over glasses... I'd warn that if you've never tried them, expect a week or two of hell... it takes a while for your eyes to get used to them, and, well, you know how good it feels to have something in your eye. I'm not trying to put you off, the upsides outweigh for sure, but don't start with big things like your test just round the corner.

Good luck going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sticking stuff in your eyes takes a while to get used to!

Sounds like you've got the classic nerves / target fixation as soon as you get in the actual test pad. It's good in a way it went a bit rubbish you can focus on practising turning right and near a fence so you don't get distracted by it. Lots of deep breaths between the exercises it's not a race there's no time limit :)

Good luck with the actual test keep us updated :cheers:

I also just remembered I chickened out of being pillion while my instructor went round the course :lol: I have 2 more half day training sessions in 2 weeks just before the test on the 3rd, so keep my chin up - literally for the U - and I'm sure it will come good. Watching the BSB today got me out of the lull and keen to get back on.

The contacts can wait until after Mod2, knowing my luck I'll get pink eye or something and would have to do it with one eye patched like a crap pirate.

Anyways, going to get a helmet fitted as well this week sometime so can try my (more traditionally shaped) spare glasses with it to get a good fit.

Cheers everyone, I appreciate the advice.

Edited by WearsTheFoxHat

Whoa... I had five full day training sessions before going in for my tests and half day sessions before each test. Not sure you are giving yourself enough time?

Any school that can give you access to the actual test centre is a bonus and it helps a huge amount with nerves as you go into the compound. Like walking into an exam hall, you go blank!

I did fine until the lady I was training with came off the bike at a set of lights on the way to the test centre for a practice. I then dropped it on the u turn and from then, it was my nemesis. My issuewas learning to separate my hips from toros, as I am short it is a reach for the handlebars for me, I went pillion while my instructor took us round,40mph in the worlds tightest circle was the scariest thing but it taught me to lean on the pegs and move my hips.

Even on the morning of the test U turns were awful. Until the last half Hour! Hats off to my instructor for his perseverance, he hugged me he was that relieved!

I got the u turn right next to the fence. Overshoot it and hello metal. I passed on my 1st attempt :D

For your second one, they ride literally on your back wheel. It's frightening how close they get but you soon get used to it, their reactions will be better than yours anyway!

Hope all went well for you!

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this having my next couple of half day lessons this weekend, I bought a Shark Spartan helmet rather than using the school ones, and it feels so much better, don't feel the glasses being pushed into my head any longer. Was really foggy this morning, and I had to ride with visor open, even with the pinlock insert I couldn't see out as it kept misting up. And after riding for 30 mins to the test centre for practice, I discovered on the right hander lifesaver into the centre, turning my head to do the lifesaver wipes the fog from the specs...

BUT: it felt so much better today, did a mock test twice and passed both times, the second with only 1 minor which my instructor said he was being really anal about (bit rubbish braking on the controlled stop after the swerve). So I'm much more confident as well.

Mod 1 test is Friday morning, 2 more lessons (hopefully, I need to confirm them tomorrow) then Mod 2 a week Thursday. Then if I can find a job I'll be blowing the remaining redundancy on a Speed Triple :D (And if the wife reads this, a speed triple is a lovely safe low powered beginner bike :angel12: )

I tried contacts but found that if I had to crack the visor open something always got into my eye. In the end I went back to glasses and bought the right helmet. Much prefer riding in glasses than contacts as if I have the visor up I've still got something protecting my eyes.

Good luck with the training. Once it clicks it feels right.

hey peeps new to the forum. mod 1 booked in for next Monday (7th Nov). had my first lesson on big bike yesterday. instructor said I did well and the time flew by. got another lesson just before the test but i'm a nervous wreck. nerves cant settle. get the feeling I'm fluking practise and come test time i'll be diagnosed with chronic shaking syndrome if there's such a thing.

hey peeps new to the forum. mod 1 booked in for next Monday (7th Nov). had my first lesson on big bike yesterday. instructor said I did well and the time flew by. got another lesson just before the test but i'm a nervous wreck. nerves cant settle. get the feeling I'm fluking practise and come test time i'll be diagnosed with chronic shaking syndrome if there's such a thing.

Good luck, I had the nerves and the shakes, I tried that Rescue Remedy not sure if it helped any. If you are like me you just have to acknowledge you are going to be nervy and shakey. U-turn was my biggest worry which went well, passed without any issues even with the nerves. For what it's worth I was far more worried about MOD 2 than MOD 1, although a lot would see it differently.

Good luck, I had the nerves and the shakes, I tried that Rescue Remedy not sure if it helped any. If you are like me you just have to acknowledge you are going to be nervy and shakey. U-turn was my biggest worry which went well, passed without any issues even with the nerves. For what it's worth I was far more worried about MOD 2 than MOD 1, although a lot would see it differently.

currently just done the slow manoeuvres, aced them. feel comfortable on bike just the tension is giving me a high bp. :)

not even thinking about mod 2. my nemesis is the mod 1 until next week. then focus will shift

Nerves are the kicker. Take a good few deep breaths between each bit there's no time limit! Just focus on your technique - head up, clutch control. Oh and don't forget the mirror checks after the examiner tells you to exit the area ;)

Nerves are the kicker. Take a good few deep breaths between each bit there's no time limit! Just focus on your technique - head up, clutch control. Oh and don't forget the mirror checks after the examiner tells you to exit the area ;)

water break between each manoeuvre in that case :wink:

Well, Mod 1 was scheduled this morning, or at least it was until i snatched the front brake too hard at 31mph, on a slightly greasy surface doing a practice emergency stop - I'm sure you guys know what happens next...

Sore throttle arm meant we had to cancel, trip to A&E to find I have fractured my right elbow, so everything on hold for 6 weeks. Could have been worse, so happy to just end up with that and some other sore spots. Glad I invested in my own proper fitting kit, as it all worked well

Triumph Jacket - Cosmetic damage to a vent zip and the logo, but otherwise not breached.

Alpinestars AST 1 trousers - slid along on my side/hip, but I couldn't even point to where they rubbed

Alpinestars gloves - knuckle protector well worn out, but didn't wear through

Alpinestars Andes boots - apart from sore calf where one got pushed against me, again barely a mark on them.

Shark Spartan helmet - (bought as couldn't get good fit on school helmets with my odd shaped head, 2nd time I wore it :oops: ) Cracked shell when I hit the floor, have a feeling I should be glad I only found this out in a slow speed crash...

6 weeks.... I was sad enough when I was thinking it would only be a week or two, can't wait to get back on already.

Instructor was great, reminded me not to move until he assessed me etc. More importantly though, I gave him a call and the bike is fine :cheers:

CwaabCsWEAARrp_.jpg:large

or at least it was until i snatched the front brake too hard at 31mph, on a slightly greasy surface ..... I'm sure you guys know what happens next..

OOOOH I did this on the road once and ended up with a broken foot! On the plus side it is a GREAT way to learn never to do it again! :lol: But glad you're mainly OK, sorry to hear about the delay in getting on with the tests but best to heal up fully so you don't botch up the healing (and there's a lot of us on here who have botched up the healing :lol: )

I did the biker down course a while back and the guy was saying fit is the most important thing as if it's too loose then your head and grey matter hit everything twice. Which is bad. So I'm not sure if a crack is too bad as long as all the padded bits did their job... *awaits to be corrected*

Speedy and full recovery wishes to you! :salute:

Well, Mod 1 was scheduled this morning, or at least it was until i snatched the front brake too hard at 31mph, on a slightly greasy surface doing a practice emergency stop - I'm sure you guys know what happens next...

You lent back, eased off the front brake and controlled the lock up? :popcorn:

Shame about the off

On my second bike (RD350) I grabbed a bit too much front brake on a damp, greasy road after having new brake pads fitted......by the time the bike slid into the car in front I had bailed out and was standing on the footpath watching it.......so, it's easy done mate.....don't beat yourself up over it..... :)