Mobile Phones: Really need advice..

Gin

Yeah the screen on my Samsung (still the original one) was still going strong looooong after the thing became too obsolete to cope with the Facebook app or most modern websites :lol:

Compared to my iPhone, which on its third screen and gets confused and thinks I'm touching the screen in places that I'm not if it gets even the slightest bit damp or dirty :|

Gin, regarding OS systems... iOS is years behind android now.

Once upon a time (before iPhone 4) there wasn't much in it, but now you would have to be naive or bonkers to go for iOS over android.

Firstly, you're a biker. You need a decent sat nav that can import files... So We're talking android.

Do you have a gmail account or use Google? Everything is seamlessly linked and integrated with android and your account. From bookmarks to passwords and contacts. Changing phone? No problem, sign into Google and they're all there.

Batteries. You can interchange them on a lot of android devices.

Downloading. You can do that on android devices.

Android OS is a lot like using a laptop ... You can do anything you need to do on there on your android device.

:stupid:

I have a Galaxy Note 4 (the non-exploding type :lol: ) and love it. Have had android for ages, and because I have a Google account with everything on it, everything syncs up amazingly.

Contacts with addresses saved appear on Google Maps, birthdays are automatically added to my calendar, I get notifications of delays on my frequent routes. Occasionally it's a little scary what it knows, but it happens because I've consciously allowed Google to access all this stuff, and the functionality it provides more than justifies it for me.

I deliberately got a large phone because I use it pretty much as a tablet at home, and I'm anticipating getting a Pixel when its upgrade time next year.

You also get unlimited storage for backing up photos (at a slightly reduced filesize), and backups all happen automagically.

I'm far too sold to Google and Android to try anything else now.

...that said, my wife has an iPhone and that's fine for her - she doesn't want to be able to customise things or faff around, and she gets on ok with their interface, so I haven't tried to argue her away from it. Yet!

The headphone jack thing really is a textbook example of Apple being retarded dicks just for the sake of it.

Aye but early indicators say Sam sings going the same way for their next release...

I have S5 Neo waterproof without flaps... Does not have finger recognition. For the price a cracking phone.

As for screen protectors, you get what you pay for......

The modern glass ones work well, feel like the real screen,

A good silicone rubber case and glass protector I would consider essential... One without the other probably not such a good combination.

Whatapp is excerlent and video calls I just dont use....

To sling in my 10p...

Android all the way. I find most people at work are brand whores with Apple. So much better about. The only apple product I use is an iPad. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, and to be fair I love the Android o/s but not a huge fan of the phone. Edged screens are a waste of decent screen space. Every time I use it one handed, the side of my palm touches the screen and the phone does all sorts of weird shit. I should have gone for the normal S7 or the HTC. Looks fantastic though and the memory is expandable buy a huwarge amount (although fiddly to manage sometimes). I've now had to get a Spigen case for it, which looks great for a case but didn't want to have to do that. Stops any part of my hand touching the edge. Much better and almost looks oe.

Never buy Apple just because it's Apple.

I've had iPhones since the 3GS, I did at one point switch to a HTC with Windows but really didn't like it so went back to an iPhone. Right now I have an iPhone 6 which is doing well considering it got run over, the back is all dented and there's some white pressure points on the screen but other than that it's still going strong.

I also have a Samsung J5 which I use as a work phone as I always had trouble opening attachments on my iPhone. The J5 isn't a great phone, a bit slow and freezes quite often.

I'm now considering upgrading both phones, the Pixel is a definite contender and also the S7. Would I stick with an iPhone? I'm not sure!

The great thing about android is that the phone is basically disposable hardware. If you use all the Google cloud offerings correctly it means that if you lose or decide to upgrade your phone all you need to do is buy a new phone and login.

You don't need huge amounts of storage on the phone or SD cards or data cables - just use the cloud as Google intended and you'll get an excellent experience from relatively cheap hardware.

Apple try but their solution is not as good which is why apple sell iPhone with huge memory capacity becaue it's easy to clog up an iPhone.

Basically, if you don't like android, you're doing it wrong. Android on a high end phone is far superior to iOS.