Mobile Phones: Really need advice..

Gin

Ok so it's come up to my upgrade time and I'm in the weird position of having no idea what I want to do.

Now normally I would just stay with my current phone but it's not doing so great right now! :oops:

So I've had iPhones for 4 years now, Blackberries before that.. My current iPhone was having crippling battery issues and now (Due to me removing the protective case to solve the battery issues) has a cracked screen.. The irony is not lost on me. :roll:

So I'm not happy with Apple, but this may be a one off. I don't really like the iPhone 7, but I've heard the Samsung 8 may have the same headphone port issue..

The Google Pixel has some great toys and I've heard wonderful things but it's a new release, its a HTC build (that some people have warned me off) and it's stripped andriod (could be good or bad)

So I really need some advice, cos I just don't know what to do if I'm honest..

Help me?

giphy.gif

This is what I did, it might work for you.

Instead of going the traditional route of taking out a contract I went sim only with my current supplier - threatened to leave etc and got a really cheap deal.

I then went on apple and got an iPhone 6s 64gb on finance over 2 years, the best iPhone available at the time. It works out at 42 quid a month for a deal that would have cost me about 60 a month from a phone shop.

The added perk is, if you buy direct from apple you get 2 year warranty rather than one. So if you have the phone 18 months and the battery goes shit, they'll replace it under warranty 8-) .

My S5 I have had for nearly 2 years. it still goes strong. plenty of apps. ease of use nice design good camera. Play store is real easy to use. Additional storage ( have a 32gb card in mine) as well as battery replacement so you can take several batteries with you. Micro USB input. Phone is a few years old now but means you can get a new one quite cheap I reckon. Way better than my iphone was at this length of time in it's life. as the battery still lasts a whole day!

Cool, some helpful comments so far..

So Android users, what do you Like and Dislike about your OS? As I'm going to have to get used to a new way of thinking..

How do you manage your music and files on your phone as I'm so used to using itunes to do all this..

Is there a "HealthKit" style app that things like sleep apps and pedometres can all interface with?

Also what smartwatches would you potentially recommend with your phone?

At this point I really need to call up:

I Hate iPhones...

Cool, some helpful comments so far..

So Android users, what do you Like and Dislike about your OS? As I'm going to have to get used to a new way of thinking..

How do you manage your music and files on your phone as I'm so used to using itunes to do all this..

Is there a "HealthKit" style app that things like sleep apps and pedometres can all interface with?

Also what smartwatches would you potentially recommend with your phone?

At this point I really need to call up:

I Hate iPhones...

I could offer an opinion but im anti social and just want my phone back to being a phone. I f**king hate O2 but have to go to town to sort another phone contract

Orrr just drink more and forget this bloody festive period and hope 2017 takes its time getting to the next one. BAH HUMBUG

I have a sony z2

yes its getting on a bit now I have had it 2 and half years and its still going strong! battery lasts 2 days easily

to me that is a testament to how good they are

have a look at the sony's

as for managing music its so easy! just plug it in and copy your music folders you want and organise it as you would on your pc! they mount as an external drive

then using some music player of some sort create playlists or play albums or play all etc

it will be a change from ios but for the better

the s7 doesn't have wraparound home screens as standard (so once you get to the last screen you then have to scroll the other way to go back to the beginning rather than just circle back round) this annoyed me so I installed Nova Launcher which replaces Samsungs default interface and gives you a million different options to play about with including wraparound screens :wink:

as Stu said it's all plug and play so just drag and drop stuff on to your phone. no need to sync up! think the default player is fine.

camera is pretty decent. and Google drive let's you upload everything to the cloud for back up.

the 7 has a crazy Health app built in that even uses some thing on the camera to take your heart rate :shock:

First thing, make sure you have a Google account (Gmail account) you use this to log into the phone.

All your stuff is then backed up to google. Music email, contacts, calendar, all in the cloud so you can view on your desktop or your phone.

Google Fit can be used for activity tracking.

Gin, regarding OS systems... iOS is years behind android now.

Once upon a time (before iPhone 4) there wasn't much in it, but now you would have to be naive or bonkers to go for iOS over android.

Firstly, you're a biker. You need a decent sat nav that can import files... So We're talking android.

Do you have a gmail account or use Google? Everything is seamlessly linked and integrated with android and your account. From bookmarks to passwords and contacts. Changing phone? No problem, sign into Google and they're all there.

Batteries. You can interchange them on a lot of android devices.

Downloading. You can do that on android devices.

Android OS is a lot like using a laptop ... You can do anything you need to do on there on your android device.

I have a Pixel. I absolutely love it, but it is a lot of money for a phone. I was comfortable spending £600 on a phone (I'm on a SIM only contract) as I have used Android for years, use google for pretty much everything and unlimited full res photos and 4k video sealed the deal.

The phone is super quick at anything I ask it to do

Charges from 5% to 80% in 15min - so I charge mine for around an hour before bed each night and that lasts me easily to the following night most days.

Camera is pretty good for pictures. Video at 4k is excellent and slo mo at 120 or 240 fps is amusing/amazing to watch.

Backs all my apps,messages,photos,video automagiclly. To the point I can take a picture with my phone and a few minutes later look at them on my Google Photos account in a browser on a pc, without the phone and pc ever "meeting".

Screen is very visible in direct sun light.

Google Fit is one of many health apps than will monitor your movements and connect to watched/other stuff. Any android wear watch will connect with it as far as I am aware.

For anyone with battery longevity issues, buy an Anker, they solve all your charging needs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11/254-2348205-6101543?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=anker+powercore&sprefix=anker+power%2Caps%2C155&crid=3B1LEH8DSYZDG

Oh, forgot to add, the Pixel does not run "stripped down" android. it runs android the way Google designed it. Samsung,HTC,Sony etc all tweak android to suit their own phone, and add bloaty apps on them that you cannot delete(by default..)

If you don't wanna spend £600 on a phone but want to experience pure android. The Nexus 5X or 6p are both fantastic phones too.

Hey Arwen you're the same as me. I use Google for everything.

Have you tried the chrome remote desktop app on android? It's brilliant for remote desktop to servers or my mum's PC when she gets stuck!

I've had both ios and android, both have perks and both have disadvantages.

ios is made really simple so anyone can use it, the music management on itune is by far the best available imo.

Android is much less restricted than ios though, you can use them as a mini pc if you want and you can get pretty much any app on it for free if you download the .apk. However the music management on them isn't the best.

First thing, make sure you have a Google account (Gmail account) you use this to log into the phone.

All your stuff is then backed up to google. Music email, contacts, calendar, all in the cloud so you can view on your desktop or your phone.

Google Fit can be used for activity tracking.

Just make sure you do save contact to your google account and not the phone though as I did for years before I figured out I was doing it wrong :lol:

Im using an s7 edge atm, wish id got the normal s7 as the corners/sides are a pita! Cant help but touch them as your using the phone and ends up doing allsorts you dont want it too.

I should have kept the s5 but gave it to my sister :crybaby:

Non curved screen S7 here, hasn't expoldededed. Has a decent battery save mode so it easily lasts all day even playing loads of dumb games on it :lol:

Oh and it has a proper headphone jack

Same here. Great phone except that the glass like back has cracked. Screen is still going strong, with no cracks though.

Hey Arwen you're the same as me. I use Google for everything.

Have you tried the chrome remote desktop app on android? It's brilliant for remote desktop to servers or my mum's PC when she gets stuck!

I did try it a while ago, but I don't really get on with any app that puts a windows desktop onto a phone screen. Too fiddly :-)