Mobile Phones: Really need advice..

Gin

What's the best phone?

What's the best bike?

What's the best whisky?

What's the best song?

What's the best...

Phones are all good nowadays and unless you have a specific niche requirement, then you'll get what you need from just about them all.

If you're an Apple geek then you're gonna swear by them and if you're a hater then you'll prefer anything Android, or just anything...

Go check them out in the shop with a shortlist in hand and pick the best deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I threw my s4 all over the place accidentally! I bought a hard case for it (greatshield) which was epic but they don't make them for the s7 so I got an old lady style caseology one :lol:

OH the screen protectors for the s7 suck though because there's a slight bevel on the edge which means they don't stick properly

My Nexus 5x is doing a good job. Charge lasts all day. As others have said, when I connect it to my laptop it just appears as another drive, so I can copy pics to my 2TB external drive with copy and paste.....The same for putting music onto the phone. I use an music player called Jet Audio....got lots of settings on it.....loads of sound settings.....and a timer that I can get it to stop playing music after a certain time (I often play music while going off to sleep).

CoPilot works ok on it.

Internet is good as I've got 4G.

Photo quality is OK.

The only thing is the USB-C connector.....but there are adaptors available to connect between microUSB and the USB-C.

Downside also in that there's not so many cases and accessories as the Samsungs.

Oh, and there's no SD slot.....but, with 32gb internal memory and a USB stick and USB-C adaptor I've not run short on memory yet..... :wink:

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with it.....and I'm on the latest android version as they get upgraded as soon as a new version is available. ..... 8-)

What's the best phone?

Nokia 3210.

What's the best bike?

KLX250.

What's the best whisky?

Few to choose from, but tonight I'll say a 16 year old BenRiach because that's what I just opened.

What's the best song?

Estranged, G'n'R.

What's the best...

RantMachine.

Next question. 8-)

What's the best...

RantMachine.

Next question. 8-)

Well damn, thread over! :shock:

Joking aside you two :P Thanks for all your help, I feel I have a better idea of Android now than I did before and am less worried about making the transfer.. Seriously considering the pixel just because I Love New Tech!

But am still looking at what will work best for me... I'm resentful about buying a whole new bunch of cables :lol:

My Nexus 5x is doing a good job. Charge lasts all day. As others have said, when I connect it to my laptop it just appears as another drive, so I can copy pics to my 2TB external drive with copy and paste.....

Hard drives crash / get lost / burn up in housefires, so backup to the cloud - no need to connect to a PC and external drive, google give you free photo hosting and its great for creating albums to share with family and friends, and the search facility is very good for finding photos just by typing a keyword of what your looking for.

But am still looking at what will work best for me... I'm resentful about buying a whole new bunch of cables :lol:

Apple will make you do that every year anyway, so switch to Android and the only cable you need is the charge cable that comes in the box!

My Nexus 5x is doing a good job. Charge lasts all day. As others have said, when I connect it to my laptop it just appears as another drive, so I can copy pics to my 2TB external drive with copy and paste.....

Hard drives crash / get lost / burn up in housefires, so backup to the cloud - no need to connect to a PC and external drive, google give you free photo hosting and its great for creating albums to share with family and friends, and the search facility is very good for finding photos just by typing a keyword of what your looking for.

I forgot to mention that this is in addition to my cloud account.......belt and braces, Joe..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

This is what I don't understand. People buy thin and light and lovely looking phones. Then encase them in plastic/rubber cases and put glorified sellotape over the screens.

My phone is as naked as it came out of the box (and I ripped all the plastic film off it). I'm not particullary careful with my phone, but I tend to go at least a year or two without claiming insurance for a broken screen :mrgreen:

Most androids are going USB C now. Which even apple are starting to use! :shock:

I forgot to mention that this is in addition to my cloud account.......belt and braces, Joe..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Good lad - geographically distributed backup strategy is very good practice :thumb:

Good lad - geographically distributed backup strategy is very good practice :thumb:

I find being unsentimental and having few achievements worth recording to be a far simpler alternative :lol:

This is what I don't understand. People buy thin and light and lovely looking phones. Then encase them in plastic/rubber cases and put glorified sellotape over the screens.

My phone is as naked as it came out of the box (and I ripped all the plastic film off it). I'm not particullary careful with my phone, but I tend to go at least a year or two without claiming insurance for a broken screen :mrgreen:

Most androids are going USB C now. Which even apple are starting to use! :shock:

I use a wallet case with my phone which has my cards and notes in.....A bit risky.....If I lose it, I've lost everything. ....but I've had these with my last 3 phones so far..... :wink: And the glorified sellotape prevents the screen from getting scratched by the cards in the wallet. .....and I tend to use the anti-glare screen protectors so I don't get so many reflections for when I'm using the satnav app on the bike..... :wink:

Apple are excellent at marketing, and so many millions believe their products are superior and never really seek out alternatives, even when they are blatantly being exploited for their brand loyalty (airpods anyone?)

Which is fine by me, helps keep the price of Android phones down as the manufacturers look to undercut Apple :P

I'll give you a little review.

Samsung S5 - Currently 2 years old

Pros :

- Additional storage (32gb in mine)

- Replaceable battery allows for spares

- the OS is very easy to use and allows customization

- Playstore works well and remembers your password so no entering for free app purchases

- the swipe down menu at the top has plenty of quick access options

- SCREEN MIRROR! smart TV's etc you can mirror your entire phone screen to them!

- Front screen is adjustable with widgets (mini versions of apps)

I'm sure i'll think of more so may update/edit

Cons :

- No iMessage

- No facetime or equivalent

- If you have a lot of iTunes purchases you'll have to repurchase

- Quite a few pre-loaded apps I can't delete.

- The standard e-mail app sucks

Again I'm sure i'll think of more

Overall, the phone is easy to use. good battery life and does everything I need it to and more :) (also I have a nes emulator running super easy if you get one ;) )

Cons :

- No iMessage

WhatsApp messenger is better than imessage and you can use Google hangouts or Skype for video chat.

Cons :

- No iMessage

WhatsApp messenger is better than imessage and you can use Google hangouts or Skype for video chat.

That's true. but some people like iMessage I guess. Not used google hangout may check it out :)

Yeah avoid these, 2 days after getting my new iPhone I stuck one of these on it. I dropped it literally 30 minutes after putting the protector on and the screen smashed, I think if anything the protector made it worse. It probably wouldn't have smashed if I didn't have it on :(.

Modern gorilla glass is highly scratch resistant. I demoed this to a friend by cutting paper with a very sharp scalpel on the screen of my Nexus 5x. He wouldn't dare do that on his iPhone.