Lock, no key

Ricco1

I'm, shortly going to pick up a Yamaha RS125 I've paid a deposit on. There are a few issues to sort including no keys for the steering lock. Also no key for the helmet lock, this also locks the seat, it hinges on the other side. This one is important as I need to replace the battery, the 2 stroke oil tank is also under the seat.

I think I'm going to need to break the lock, possibly replace it at a later stage (if I can get hold of one). I've never broken a lock before. Would a screwdriver in the lock held by a wrench or similar then forced clockwise do the job? Any tips on this?

Warning a seriously unhelpful post following... :!:

Reading your post I would be concerned your going to be buying a stolen bike :? or are out to steal a bike :shock:

Please don't take my comments personally.... Just the way I read your first post..

Lol I can see how it could be read that way! Bloke I'm buying it off bought it 2 years ago as part of a job lot, it's been sat in his shed since. I guess the ignition barrel must have been changed at some stage as the key for this doesn't fit the other locks.

I guess brute force will do the job but would appreciate knowing a better way, if there is one!

Lol I can see how it could be read that way! Bloke I'm buying it off bought it 2 years ago as part of a job lot, it's been sat in his shed since. I guess the ignition barrel must have been changed at some stage as the key for this doesn't fit the other locks.

I guess brute force will do the job but would appreciate knowing a better way, if there is one!

I would still be careful especially as it was a job lot .

Make sure you check the v5 vin number matches the frame

If he doesn't have a v5 or there is no frame number ..walk away .dont except any excuses or stories .juet walk away

Its common to have different keys but as others have pointed out it does ring alarm bells especially on certain desirable models.

The steering lock will be the second issue as that will be need to be drilled to break lock etc and if you cock it up you will not be able to replace the lock

Fuel cap will need drilling to open .

Helmet lock csn be removed generally by cutting the locking bar out with saw to access the retaining fixtures.

Seat lock again drill the lock .

Using a screwdriver can cause more issues if the lock mounts break with the lever force/impacts

My advice would be look on eBay for a complete lock set and replace all

If you can get the seat lock off the bike without damaging the mechanism you could try taking it to a locksmith. If they could make a key then there is a reasonable chance it would fit the petrol filler cap . You might also be able to remove the steering lock if you remove the forks and top yolk . By the way is this bike an Aprilia or a Yamaha RS 125 ?

Cheers for the replies. I have keys for the petrol cap and ignition, it's the steering lock and helmet lock cum seatlock that are missing. I think I'll try drilling out the helet/ seat lock, replacements are available on Ebay. I'll leave the steering lock for now, it's not locked so can ride it.

Cheers for the replies. I have keys for the petrol cap and ignition, it's the steering lock and helmet lock cum seatlock that are missing. I think I'll try drilling out the helet/ seat lock, replacements are available on Ebay. I'll leave the steering lock for now, it's not locked so can ride it.

So what bike is it,Aprilia or Yamaha?

I'm, shortly going to pick up a Yamaha RS125 I've paid a deposit on. There are a few issues to sort including no keys for the steering lock. Also no key for the helmet lock, this also locks the seat, it hinges on the other side. This one is important as I need to replace the battery, the 2 stroke oil tank is also under the seat.

I think I'm going to need to break the lock, possibly replace it at a later stage (if I can get hold of one). I've never broken a lock before. Would a screwdriver in the lock held by a wrench or similar then forced clockwise do the job? Any tips on this?

It's right there Bob :thumb: :mrgreen:

So it is! In which case I think you can get the steering lock off by removing the bottom yoke to reveal two countersunk screws . Err... it's a Yamaha isn't it ?