Changing my oil, do I need a stand thingy

Muttly

To be fair if I'd looked at that on a bike I'd have though there's no way that's designed to be easily removed for oil filling. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace with your standard style cap for ease, depends on thread size... it's probably not standard knowing how these things go.... :wink:

To be fair if I'd looked at that on a bike I'd have though there's no way that's designed to be easily removed for oil filling. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace with your standard style cap for ease, depends on thread size... it's probably not standard knowing how these things go.... :wink:

I'll have a look in the scrap archive. Daft looking design, looks like an old Honda tappet cover.

wp_ss_20180830_0006.thumb.png.5a28cb81146cba8cdf66172a803d5f90.png

I'll have a look in the scrap archive. Daft looking design, looks like an old Honda tappet cover.

That's probably exactly what it is....

That's probably exactly what it is....

You ain't kidding, why use two parts when one will do two jobs ?

wp_ss_20180831_0001.thumb.png.1b70eeb896699c5af10179f6dc828f42.png

Cannot buy a replacement from CMPO for the filler cap either. They are sold out. Not surprised if they all come out rounded off.

Don't round it off any more , we'll get it off one way or another on Saturday. 🙂

I won’t. I managed to get it off the other day without further rounding with mole grips. I’m not going near any of it until you get here :-)

Well apart from taking off the fairing in the morning.

I can't wait to find out how this turns out. Please send us pictures of whatever you find, and best of luck.

Reminds me of a guy I offered to help get an old car running. We'd tried everything via the forum but hands on it took about 5 seconds to spot that the camshaft timing was 180 degrees out. Fortunately it was a non interference engine.

Update:

Fastbob has been and gone. Top chap, showed me how to do it, talked me through some wear and tear things on the bike like Sprocket teeth and also helped me tighten my chain.

I was not being too much an idiot, the sump bolt is the one that hits the exhaust. We changed the oil by letting it drop out of where the filter is, on the side stand.

I’ve learned loads. Very great full and to everyone here.

I can't wait to find out how this turns out. Please send us pictures of whatever you find, and best of luck.

Reminds me of a guy I offered to help get an old car running. We'd tried everything via the forum but hands on it took about 5 seconds to spot that the camshaft timing was 180 degrees out. Fortunately it was a non interference engine.

Sorry, didn't think to take pictures. Everything went pretty smoothly, and I learned a few things myself. Firstly I must say that the general build quality and finish on Mutley's Lexmoto Falcon is very good . The engine sounds lovely with no hint of mechanical noise or vibration. I suspect that the housing at the front of the engine contains a balancing shaft which clearly contributes to the smooth running . On thing that did surprise me was the linked braking system which applies a little front brake when you operate the rear brake but not vice versa. We worked out that the tappet cover style oil filler cap had been used in place of a conventional one because there was no room for fingers due to the clearance with the frame . This is because the bike has a CBR125 style frame but uses a generic engine of an older design. I donated one of my old Suzuki ones from my scrap collection that Mutley can grind the corners off so that it will just clear the frame . Sure enough the sump bolt does hit the exhaust before it is fully out so we decided that the gauze filter cover just to the right of the plug would work just as well . Popped that off and drained all the oil , put everything back and filled it up while holding the bike level and checking the sight glass. So all in all no real issues except that the engine is of an older conventional design and the bikes frame has not really been designed around it . Interestingly, on the way there I nipped into a Lexmoto dealership ( of sorts ) in Shedon where the manager assured me in no uncertain terms that there is no such thing as a Lexmoto Falcon ! Aren't smartphones a great invention , he had to revise that bold statement a bit when I googled it . 😆 Anyway, cheers for the coffee Mate and good luck .

Edited by fastbob

Anyway, cheers for the coffee Mate and good luck .

Random present... :scratch: Screenshot_20180901-154704.thumb.jpg.5e76d931969e27fcac12d75bba86af24.jpg

:lol: sorry couldn't help myself.

Top job there, would have loved to have seen the managers face though! :lol:

I has a suspicion that the sump bolt was the wrong size so I ordered a new one. It arrived after [mention]fastbob[/mention] had left but is definitely shorter than the one in my bike. Maybe one day i’ll Swap them.

I has a suspicion that the sump bolt was the wrong size so I ordered a new one. It arrived after @fastbob had left but is definitely shorter than the one in my bike. Maybe one day i’ll Swap them.

Ahh, there you go then , you're still going to be pouring oil onto a hot exhaust though and its going to splatter in all directions.If you do choose to remove the exhaust in order to fit it , you will need a fresh exhaust gasket . Exhaust gaskets are designed to be crushed and can only be used once. By the way , it wouldn't be a bad idea to re check that oil level after the bike has been run for a bit .

I has a suspicion that the sump bolt was the wrong size so I ordered a new one. It arrived after @fastbob had left but is definitely shorter than the one in my bike. Maybe one day i’ll Swap them.

Ahh, there you go then , you're still going to be pouring oil onto a hot exhaust though and its going to splatter in all directions.If you do choose to remove the exhaust in order to fit it , you will need a fresh exhaust gasket . Exhaust gaskets are designed to be crushed and can only be used once. By the way , it wouldn't be a bad idea to re check that oil level after the bike has been run for a bit .

1. Is the exhaust on this bike all one piece?

2. They (exhaust gaskets) may be designed to be only used once, but having said that, I've reused 'em plenty of times.....

Agree about keeping an eye on oil level - how much came out in the end?

1. Is the exhaust on this bike all one piece?

2. They (exhaust gaskets) may be designed to be only used once, but having said that, I've reused 'em plenty of times.....

Agree about keeping an eye on oil level - how much came out in the end?

Well good luck with that then .

WP_20180902_11_45_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.f32939a9c974237e5058ce626cc371e6.jpg

Yeah, that's what it says on the packet, but as I said, I've reused 'em loads of times...it helps if you don't gorilla them the first time you use them....

Perhaps you would like to begin a new topic on the subject rather than tagging along on a post about an oil change . What has worked for you in the past is one thing but when I am offering advice to absolute novices I tend to refer to best practice based on manufactures recommendations. For the sake of a few quid its neither here nor there really.

..... And who mentioned exhaust gaskets in the first place?

..... And you never said how much oil came out.

I mentioned exhaust gaskets because in order to get the longer sump bolt out it would be necessary to move the exhaust. In anticipation of this I took over a selection of various sizes just in case . As it happened we decided to utilize the oil strainer cover instead . How much oil came out ? I don't recall agreeing to supply information on demand . Forgive me but I can't see what the angle is here , I helped a guy do his first oil change , can't we just leave it at that ?

... I don't recall you "agreeing to supply information on demand" either, but I asked the question because utilising means of draining oil in ways not in accordance with "manufacturers recommendations" can sometimes mean that not all of the oil in the engine is actually replaced. That was all I was interested in.

But good on you for helping Muttly out. I'm sure he found the help very welcome and useful.