Changing my oil, do I need a stand thingy

Muttly

I found a video on YouTube which I think shows me how to do it. It looks like filler bolt is up and at the back of the engine in a nuisance spot. I’ll check out the parts diagram to find out what the part is with a wire.

[mention]fastbob[/mention]

Thank you very much. All my looking did not help me find those images. They look really helpful. I’ll feed back in a bit, I am going to try today.

If so the bolt head bit is soft as anything and alread a bit rounded. I don’t have my sockets at the moment. Not sure what to do? I haven’t let the oil out yet fortunately.

Answer is mike grips. I am pressing on...

Scratch that. Tried to undo what I think is the sump plug and it is blocked by the exhaust. As far as I can undo it it hits the exhaust before being removable. Help.

Answer is mike grips. I am pressing on...

Scratch that. Tried to undo what I think is the sump plug and it is blocked by the exhaust. As far as I can undo it it hits the exhaust before being removable. Help.

has oil come out?

A small drip. Not really. The thread and the bolt are oily but it wasn’t running down the bolt.

Doesn't sound like the sump bolt then. If it was the sump then i would expect oil to pour out as the bolt is undone.

can you still see oil in the engine through the level glass?

edit

looked at some utube vids and the sump plug is long so if it is still in the threaded part it may still be preventing the oil from coming out.

Unless I am supposed to drain it through the fuel filter thimble hole then I think I have the right bolt. It is at the lowest point of the engine.

Problem is I think I need to at least loosen the exhaust to get it off.

I might ring the bike garage down the road and see if I can watch them change my oil. Then I can do next time.

Does it look like the exhaust may have been changed at some point?

and is there still oil in the engine?

Not been changed. It is a new Chinese made bike. Starting to understand some of the criticism now. I think the bike is based on a Honda and in the images of that bike I can see the exhaust does not run up the middle of the bike. I cannot see anywhere else that could be sumo plug. It has a little seal on it and everything. I suspect it is poor design. But it could be more of me being a muppet.

There are often more than one bolt on the underside of engines, on some Suzukis for examples it's common for people o undo the gear selector detent spring bolt which allows the engine oil to drain but it's not the drain plug. If that is the only bolt then it sounds like the designer failed to spot the exhaust was going to foul it - in which case it means undoing the back end of the exhaust and seeing if it will shift sideways enough to clear the bolt.

If you are certain that it is a seal and not just a metal washer - Then you have the correct bolt.

Therefore it looks like you will have to loosen and drop the exhaust (or remove it).

As to the 'rounded' filler cap nut. Mole Grips should work but, you really should replace it. it has probably been over-tightened.

Use of the correct socket should keep it OK.

8-)

Do I risk it, think of this as a learning opportunity and go for it, carefully moving the exhaust or in case I have it all wrong do I pay the mechanic person to do an oil change and watch?

Think long and hard before trying to undo the: exhaust bolts, nuts at the head. If you shear one , youre in a world of pain.

Can't he just loosen the silencer and take that off? Or is it all one piece? I am beginning to subscribe to the gear selector drum detent school of thought. I have never come across a bike that required the exhaust to be removed to get to the sump plug.....but I'm not saying they don't exist.......

Do I risk it, think of this as a learning opportunity and go for it, carefully moving the exhaust or in case I have it all wrong do I pay the mechanic person to do an oil change and watch?

Mate, PM me with your postcode and I'd be happy to nip over from Coventry and help you sort this thing out on Saturday morning. Don't remove the exhaust just yet because you will need a new gasket.