I'm back!

elizabethf

It's pretty easy to focus in on extreme elements of any belief system, Mark, and pick out elements that don't stand up to scrutiny; however, I'm speaking more generally. My point is that - IN MY OPINION - ridiculing and holding in contempt another's personal belief system is crass and intolerant. YMMV, of course, but I don't have to agree with you any more than you do with me.

As an aside, there may be members here who hold religious beliefs, and referring to them as ridiculous and contemptible is probably pretty insulting to them. Sometimes opinions are better kept to oneself.

To start with your last point, whatever I may or may not think about religious beliefs, I do at least do the people who hold them the courtesy of assuming they can speak for themselves. :wink:

The issue is not one of picking out extreme elements of a belief system, it is about whether or not you care about distinguishing good ideas from bad ones, and whether you think that there are some types of bad idea that should be given protected status and thereby be made immune from criticism.

Let's look at this another way. I'm a scientist, and in my earlier days (before I renounced academia and became a capitalist pig :D) I would publish my work and present it at conferences. And in both those environments, had I presented something outlandish - say that I believed the universe was actually assembled by a novel genus of invisible weevil that we had to worship dutifully or risk being nibbled for eternity - and then presented no evidence whatsoever to support it, I would have been ridiculed, pilloried, and my research would have been denounced as contemptible. What you appear to be saying - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that equally outlandish ideas with no basis in fact (creation, virgin birth, resurrection, life after death etc) should be treated with more deference merely because they are religious views. What I'm saying is they shouldn't.

The fact that people may find criticism of their beliefs offensive is no justification for not criticising them. There are plenty of people out there who will kill you, and think it their holy duty, for doing so. They require no apologists.

Superb.

What made you become a capitalist pig?

Necessity and money I would hazard as an assumption, it worked for me.

Now then @learningtofly, let's stop being a pair of tools and let me have your honest opinion on this:

East Finchley Station.jpg

Having seen the stuff on your site (which is great, by the way) I thought you'd be a good person to get a second opinion from. At the time it looked kind of cool - a bit Art Deco and ethereal, but now I can't decide if it's interesting enough to get framed or if it's a bit, well... naff.

Go on - let me have it...

Is that your work, Mark? I like it, but I’m not totally convinced that there’s sufficient resolution to blow it up to wall-art size.

I know the station, actually, and agree that it’s an interesting one. That part of the Northern Line has a few of them.

Is that your work, Mark? I like it, but I’m not totally convinced that there’s sufficient resolution to blow it up to wall-art size.

I know the station, actually, and agree that it’s an interesting one. That part of the Northern Line has a few of them.

Thanks! I'm always a bit wary of showing my stuff to proper photographers: my neighbour is a pro, and I cringe every time he comes in and sees my stuff on the wall. :oops:

Good point re resolution: I guess if it won't blow up to a print size it'll make a decent desktop background...

Interesting about other stations on that line: I need to get back down there and check them out!

Thanks! I'm always a bit wary of showing my stuff to proper photographers: my neighbour is a pro, and I cringe every time he comes in and sees my stuff on the wall. :oops:

Good point re resolution: I guess if it won't blow up to a print size it'll make a decent desktop background...

Interesting about other stations on that line: I need to get back down there and check them out!

If you’re on your bike let me know and I’ll join you for a station hop. I’ll even buy you a coffee for calling you a gobshite :lol:

As for your photography, I think it’s great that you put your work on the wall. It’s so easy now to just copy everything to your computer and let it just sit there, never to see the light of day.

If you’re on your bike let me know and I’ll join you for a station hop. I’ll even buy you a coffee for calling you a gobshite :lol:

As for your photography, I think it’s great that you put your work on the wall. It’s so easy now to just copy everything to your computer and let it just sit there, never to see the light of day.

My wife must owe me a lot of coffee... :lol:

I'll let you know when I'm coming down - would be good to meet.

I was talking to a magazine photographer a few years ago who said this was the 'age of the lost photograph'. He said that years ago, when you only got 36 shots on a roll of film and every press of the shutter cost you money, there was the incentive to frame carefully and consider what you were doing more. Then when you got your prints back they'd physically be in your hand and you'd look at each one in turn. Now with digital you can machine-gun a scene in the hope that one of the shots is OK, and then every so often you transfer 5,000 images to the PC, wipe the card to start over, and never look at them again. I know I was a bit guilty of that...

Now I've gone back to film almost exclusively, although this one was a quick grab shot on my X100S. My eldest is only 10, and he's totally into film too - no interest in digital whatsoever. We're converting an unused room at the office into a little darkroom, so he can finally print some of his images - can't quite manage that in a changing bag!

My wife must owe me a lot of coffee... :lol:

I'll let you know when I'm coming down - would be good to meet.

I was talking to a magazine photographer a few years ago who said this was the 'age of the lost photograph'. He said that years ago, when you only got 36 shots on a roll of film and every press of the shutter cost you money, there was the incentive to frame carefully and consider what you were doing more. Then when you got your prints back they'd physically be in your hand and you'd look at each one in turn. Now with digital you can machine-gun a scene in the hope that one of the shots is OK, and then every so often you transfer 5,000 images to the PC, wipe the card to start over, and never look at them again. I know I was a bit guilty of that...

Now I've gone back to film almost exclusively, although this one was a quick grab shot on my X100S. My eldest is only 10, and he's totally into film too - no interest in digital whatsoever. We're converting an unused room at the office into a little darkroom, so he can finally print some of his images - can't quite manage that in a changing bag!

Oh, that's great that you're using film - and even more so that your son's into it (and that you'll have a darkroom - I haven't played in one of those for god knows (oops - sorry) how long but I did a course at Barnet College when i was a fair bit younger and loved it).

It's also sadly true about the likely destiny of all those millions of digital images that we take. I'm lucky in that my other half quite likes my photography so they end up on the wall in most of our rooms. I also started the website in an attempt to avoid my stuff just languishing on the hard drive, but to be honest it's more a labour of love than anything else.

And make it snappy :tumble:

Okay, we get the picture.

And see what develops.

:tumble:

I'm sorry - I'll get my coat

Don't be so negative .

And make sure you shower before you meet , don't want you shouting Cheese all night !

Edited by Six30

Take no notice of these peasants mate. :lol:

This is my current desktop background, which I never got round to framing:

IMG_1040.thumb.JPG.d3a4b5261127bc4eb24bf45f627f421c.JPG

I took it one night on Ile de Re as the owners were having a barbecue on the beach behind the dunes. Luckily I had the old Miranda flash gun and coloured filters I got in the 1980s at the bottom of my camera bag, so I opened the shutter (I think it was about a 10 minute exposure if memory serves) and scuttled round painting the colour in with multiple flash bursts.

It's OK, but I didn't have a lot of time to work because I didn't fancy having to explain to a drunk Frenchman what I was doing scrabbling about under his car in the middle of the night!

Take no notice of these peasants mate. :lol:

This is my current desktop background, which I never got round to framing:

I took it one night on Ile de Re as the owners were having a barbecue on the beach behind the dunes. Luckily I had the old Miranda flash gun and coloured filters I got in the 1980s at the bottom of my camera bag, so I opened the shutter (I think it was about a 10 minute exposure if memory serves) and scuttled round painting the colour in with multiple flash bursts.

It's OK, but I didn't have a lot of time to work because I didn't fancy having to explain to a drunk Frenchman what I was doing scrabbling about under his car in the middle of the night!

Great star trails, and the shot looks almost neon.

One of the things I want to start doing when it gets warmer is wandering around the streets of London at night. I follow a guy on Instagram called @joshjack - that's the kind of stuff, if you're on there.

Anyway, best get on - I feel like this is a long exposure.