I'm back!

elizabethf

This is yet another thread that has gone so far :offtopic:

so many times that I had to go back to page 1 to see what it was

meant to be about! :D

Be careful people! It's getting a bit nasty!

The topic was drifting all over the place anyway. Just wanted to pitch in to a conversation that had been going on about Christianity, as I seemed to be the only one who doesn't just go with the flow with popular and ill informed opinions about it.

Not abuse, just trying to tell the truth. Unless you regard a statement such as "white is not black, it is white" as abusive.

Ah, abuse wrapped in "truth" claimed as absolute and inarguable. The best kind of abuse. Pretty much the kind that leads to precisely what you're accusing me of being victim to, but don't worry about it, carry on.

No need for the abuse .... he who judges others will one day be judged himself :thumb:

Preacher ... for I have sinned , putting the label of my pile cream on to the Mrs tooth paste was supposed to be a joke , she's not seeing it that way , will she or God forgive me :(

Yeah, but you notice [mention]JesterPilgrim[/mention] hasn't come back on my lightning conductor question. That's such a watertight argument that even God has just stopped believing in himself. :D

[mention]JesterPilgrim[/mention]

My comments in this thread were not meant to be insulting in anyway to your beliefs, but I was disappointed on your comments about Dawkins. I was merely asking whether you read his book and mentioning how he influenced me. I don't really like debating religion, (especially on an internet biking forum) so, as far as I'm concerned, if you have faith in a belief and that it helps you come to terms with life then great as far as I'm concerned.

I can fully understand how people in war torn and 3rd world countries with little education and living in poverty cling to religion for comfort. But for modern society, I'm slightly baffled.

@JesterPilgrim

My comments in this thread were not meant to be insulting in anyway to your beliefs, but I was disappointed on your comments about Dawkins. I was merely asking whether you read his book and mentioning how he influenced me. I don't really like debating religion, (especially on an internet biking forum) so, as far as I'm concerned, if you have faith in a belief and that it helps you come to terms with life then great as far as I'm concerned.

I can fully understand how people in war torn and 3rd world countries with little education and living in poverty cling to religion for comfort. But for modern society, I'm slightly baffled.

My point about Dawkins is that the arguments he purports to make against Christianity is against a religion I don't recognise. It's a straw man. He's not even respected among evolutionary biologists. So your bafflement at my belief is mirrored by my bafflement at yours!

@JesterPilgrim

My point about Dawkins is that the arguments he purports to make against Christianity is against a religion I don't recognise. It's a straw man. He's not even respected among evolutionary biologists. So your bafflement at my belief is mirrored by my bafflement[mention]JesterPilgrim[/mention]

Where on Earth did you get (he's not even respected among evolutionary biologists) from?

Edited by Smithers

Where on Earth did you get (he's not even respected among evolutionary biologists) from?

Mostly through interviews I've heard on scientific podcasts, but there was also a survey of scientists done a few years ago in which the majority of respondents claimed he stretched evidence beyond the limits most scientists would consider within acceptable parameters, and all to serve his anti-strawman rhetoric. I don't have those studies to hand so can't cite them. All my university papers are archived somewhere in a cupboard.

Mostly through interviews I've heard on scientific podcasts, but there was also a survey of scientists done a few years ago in which the majority of respondents claimed he stretched evidence beyond the limits most scientists would consider within acceptable parameters, and all to serve his anti-strawman rhetoric. I don't have those studies to hand so can't cite them. All my university papers are archived somewhere in a cupboard.

Thanks for your reply, but I can't see any point me trying to justify one of the most published Oxford scientists in modern times, and incidentally he is an emeritus fellow of New College, Oxford, and was the University of Oxford's Professor for Public Understanding of Science from 1995 until 2008.

Edited by Smithers

My point about Dawkins is that the arguments he purports to make against Christianity is against a religion I don't recognise.

In fairness, that's not entirely the case. A lot of Dawkins' arguments concern the propensity of religions to make extraordinary claims for themselves that are inversely proportional to the strength of the evidence they can muster to support them, and apply equally to all religions.

I still haven't decided whether I have more respect for the fundamentalists who make the assumption that the foundational texts of their religion mean what they say, or those who have toned it down a bit to make them more palatable to 21st century moral sensibilities - the ones who say "That's not my God" when you point out that worshipping the kind of person who buggered about with Job just to make a point is perhaps less than admirable.

. A lot of Dawkins' arguments concern the propensity of religions to make extraordinary claims for themselves that are inversely proportional to the strength of the evidence they can muster to support them, and apply equally to all religions.

That might have been an interesting argument, if Dawkins had been in the least bit interested in examining the actual evidence rather than simply interviewing whatever backwater crazies supplied support for his thesis.

Yeah, but you notice @JesterPilgrim hasn't come back on my lightning conductor question. That's such a watertight argument that even God has just stopped believing in himself. :D

Aha....the Oolon Colluphid of TMBF. :thumb:

. A lot of Dawkins' arguments concern the propensity of religions to make extraordinary claims for themselves that are inversely proportional to the strength of the evidence they can muster to support them, and apply equally to all religions.

That might have been an interesting argument, if Dawkins had been in the least bit interested in examining the actual evidence rather than simply interviewing whatever backwater crazies supplied support for his thesis.

I'm not sure that's fair either: over the many years he's been doing this has he not debated pretty openly with anyone who wanted to do so? :scratch:

I’ve experienced and witnessed the hypocrisy of professed Christian people, and too many for it to be a case of a few bad apples.

Take the adjective "Christian" out of that sentence, and it remains entirely true.

No !! I said & meant christian not a generalisation. those I knew, perported to hold Christian values of tolerance and forgiveness & were the most hypocritical and devious people I have ever experienced.

You might well say that they were not true christians, but they used the cover of religion to get away with it and I'm certain that they believed they were beyond reproach, and even worse, they could be absolved of their crimes if they admitted to them ( in private ) rather than being put in prison.

There is no defence ... Religion is a crock of shit .. End of!!

Now I know you dont give a shit what I think and it wont alter your life in anyway and visa versa.

And commumion wafers are the worst kind of buscuit ever invented ... Worse than a sprout air buscuit !!

Yeah, but you notice @JesterPilgrim hasn't come back on my lightning conductor question. That's such a watertight argument that even God has just stopped believing in himself. :D

Aha....the Oolon Colluphid of TMBF. :thumb:

Had to look that up! :lol: