Loosing 5th gear

Myguytubzy23

Hi I'm on a 125 cc motorcycle and was wondering why my 5th gear has stopped working not massively bike minded but I can do basic work when I shift into 5th at about 50 55 ish the bike seems to go into gear but slows down to 40 mph and doesn't rise again unless I go down hill any ideas suzuki en125 2a is the bike btw

It's not uncommon for 125s to not be able to hold speed in top gear as the engine torque isn't powerful enough. A lot of 125s are over-geared. When I ran a 125 I dropped the size of the front cog by 1 tooth for that very reason. It would then hold top gear above 55mph, otherwise it just couldn't pull in top and I was always flicking up and down the gears.

My CBR125 has that problem too, when I'm gear up the bike drops speed too and when I drop down a gear when I'm at that speed, the rev counter is almost red lining on 4th. It usually only happens if I am not doing a smooth acceleration or if I forget what gear I'm in (my bike is that old). Generally if I gear up smoothly and the road conditions are good, the speed will go up without dipping when I go up the gears.

Try removing the egr valve if you have one. When I had a 125 I removed mine and found the engine revs better in higher gears, top speed increases and would hold speed so I didn't keep having to drop down to 4th.

Dave.