The dangers of brand new tyres

Guest Richzx6r

If anyone wants the 'new tyre' experience without having to actually spend any money come ride round our way. The farmers are spreading slurry so the roads are completely covered in mud, and the little bits not covered in mud are black ice.

Riding is just a constant sliding all over the place. Just like new tyres....but for free!

• 4 weeks later...

It's not the grip that you should worry about , it's the way the bike suddenly tips into corners just like it was designed to do . If you have been riding with squared off tyres for longer than you ought to have done ( And we've all done it ) the return to nimble handling can easily catch you out .

t would probably be the release agent on the tyres and they would be slippery as buggery
there is no such thing as release agent. It's just that the tyres are slick. Scrubbing in is just that.

t would probably be the release agent on the tyres and they would be slippery as buggery
there is no such thing as release agent. It's just that the tyres are slick. Scrubbing in is just that.

You sure about that? The guy I use has been in the business for years and he mentions release agent on new tyres.

It's not the grip that you should worry about , it's the way the bike suddenly tips into corners just like it was designed to do . If you have been riding with squared off tyres for longer than you ought to have done ( And we've all done it ) the return to nimble handling can easily catch you out .

Absolutely. I find it hard to compare old tyres to new - new ones always tip in way quicker which of course they would, as they're pointy in the middle, not flat.

You can't always change them just in warmer weather, it all depends on the circumstances, but if you're careful when riding on new tyres until they get scrubbed in then all is good :thumb:

I had to get new tyres in Ireland last year, after one was damaged beyond repair. The rain was biblical, I just had to ride very carefully. The solution is to not lean by going slower and make a big effort to avoid white lines and man hole covers.

I started off by riding circuits round where the tyres were fitted, until I had to go to the ferry to get home. Even 20 miles made a visible difference when I checked the tyres. Thankfully, back in Scotland it had dried up and i just took it easy on the ride home. By the time I got back, that was a set of perfectly scrubbed in tyres.

Absolutely. I find it hard to compare old tyres to new - new ones always tip in way quicker which of course they would, as they're pointy in the middle, not flat.

The front Bridgestones on My GPX were dual compound with the centre being the harder. So I always wore the sides down first and it always ended up like riding on a knife edge. Then the bike tipped in way way too quick. :shock: It was real fun not. Then on a new front tyre the tip in was slower and much more controlled.