What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

First service completed. Rode to the dealer at 5degC (30 minute ride), toes feeling ever so slightly cold, so get the feeling they'll be close to falling off on the all day rides in France next week - so weighed out for heated socks!

(Thank you, Paypal Credit)

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 2

On 01/12/2022 at 15:46, Joe85 said:

Installed a Data Tool Stealth. Quite a good serves - £309 including 1-years subscription, and they come to your hosue to install it. Also the Heated Jacket Premium from Gerbing is top notch, has built in cable in the arms for you gloves to. Very clean set up and makes winter rinding very comfortable.

I had the stealth fitted to mine as a freebie when I bought the Honda I renewed the subscription after year one gives good piece of mind and the 2 times I took it out without the fob I had a phone call before I got a mile from home! 

• Like 1

Last night I noticed the gritter out. So I dug out the XCP and the low pressure paint sprayer that came with the compressor. Washed and dried the bike,  hammerite on the centre stand.

The compressor worked well applying the XCP - much better than the manual spray trigger that came with the stuff. It took a while to get it set up right - sitting the bottle in a tub of boiling water to get it running freely first helped. Came out like a fine mist - very little used,  but it covered everything well.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Last night I noticed the gritter out. So I dug out the XCP and the low pressure paint sprayer that came with the compressor. Washed and dried the bike,  hammerite on the centre stand.

The compressor worked well applying the XCP - much better than the manual spray trigger that came with the stuff. It took a while to get it set up right - sitting the bottle in a tub of boiling water to get it running freely first helped. Came out like a fine mist - very little used,  but it covered everything well.

That's the way I've done it with Acf the last 3 years and has worked perfectly just needed to use some Acf grease on parts of the brake cables and some fasteners too

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 07:22, MikeHorton said:

I had the stealth fitted to mine as a freebie when I bought the Honda I renewed the subscription after year one gives good piece of mind and the 2 times I took it out without the fob I had a phone call before I got a mile from home! 

Yeh I was surprised the new GS didn’t come with it. I was equally surprised to find out that you get a limited number of SMS messages a year from Datatool in the subscription. 

22 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I purchased a can of XCP yesterday so will try it on the next application. 

ACF50 for me today, though. Forgot how messy that stuff is. 

• Like 1

Gave it a quick wipe over as it's not been out for a couple of weeks!! And because it's 25years old since it was registered in the UK😂

So now eligible for VMCC events 👍

SAM_4457.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Joe85 said:

I purchased a can of XCP yesterday so will try it on the next application. 

ACF50 for me today, though. Forgot how messy that stuff is. 

It's messy but worth it keeps all the rocks all the rocksalt out just messy as you say 

• Like 1

I actually rode it to a training session. Took the dog out first thing and despite the hard frost overnight the road down from my house was as grippy as a summers day. All I can think is there was no dew during the night to freeze. Set out at 08:45 and it was -3c I took a fairly roundabout route to avoid the worst hills and it was fine. Just a tad under 6 miles and bracing. But.. not bad at all. True Adventure as Honda likes to say (a lot)

oh..  and no problem with starting. Apparently lithium batteries are killed by the cold..  or so says the armchair expert keyboard warriors. What are they talking about? It’s a puzzle.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

Took the bike to work yesterday, beat the cardpark known as the M25 in the morning. The coming out of work in the PM and the seat was frozen, still went for a little blast after work and ended up with a frozen throttle hand. I forgot my throttle heated grip had died! Knob!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Took the bike to work yesterday, beat the cardpark known as the M25 in the morning. The coming out of work in the PM and the seat was frozen, still went for a little blast after work and ended up with a frozen throttle hand. I forgot my throttle heated grip had died! Knob!!!!!

Ha! Exactly the same except the M25 was the M56 and the clutch hand heated grip had died.

Going to swap the knackered rubber grip for a new one this weeekend and see if I can solder the wire back on.

• Like 2

Massively dissapointed to report that the right arm cable in the jacket appears to have failed after 4 days of use. I know Gering products suffer from solder/cable-break issues at the sockets after a period of use but this is just poor.

One more ride to get home tomorrow, gonna be a painful one. More fool me for trusting this to get me through an entire trip without issue.

Edited by Joe85
  • Sad 3

Wandered out to the shed.  Pulled the blankets of the VFR and spun it over.  Typical stood for a month, cold winter day, VFR fitted with carbs behaviour.

She fired on one.  She fired on one again. Third attempt and a second cylinder decided to take an interest and I could let go the starter button.  A third woke up about ten seconds later, shortly followed by number four.  You cannot touch the throttle at all while all this is going on.  It will instantly cut out.

When the fast idle reaches 1500 rpm you can knock the choke off.

Warmed it up till the fan kicked in and out a few times, put the blankets back on and locked up the shed for another month.  That is the limit of my winter riding.

Back in the day I rode all year round, but these days I prefer toasty toes and a warm fire.

3 minutes ago, Tinkicker said:

Back in the day I rode all year round, but these days I prefer toasty toes and a warm fire.

Me too. When covid started,I stopped commuting and I've become soft.

• Like 1