What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Why I don't  have a bike with carbs. Also I don't do winter layup unless it coincides with me going back to sea.

If you do not take your bike with you to sea, you are not an all year biker who goes out in all conditions.

1 hour ago, Throttled said:

If you do not take your bike with you to sea, you are not an all year biker who goes out in all conditions.

Someone's being a bit nit picky as riding a bike on an oil tanker would be pretty impossible and I doubt the company would pay for the freight. I ride it whenever I'm home regardless of the time of year so yes I do go out in all conditions. Not always because I really want to mind!

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

Tink is correct westy especially if your on older tech or don't have the luxury of a warmer space garage...

most manufacturers give an assumption that you'll not use bike within a small windos with a possible E5, with full kids gloves and best hibernation route over a average outdoor wet, cold storage Even my most modern bike (2019) it first start after its short winter hib.

In fact for various reasons of stupidity varying manufacturers even said changes of preload to a suspension is dangerous and will validate warranty westy so do you really read their liberal as bible? Id rather use Use common sense, research and experience.

even when with different injection bikes or various ages they have been hit and miss....

My bike lives outside under a cover. No toasty garage for it until I go away when it shares accommodation with my son in law's bike. Ran the Ducati on E10 most of the time without any issues. Intend to run the Guzzi the same.  It is a new model engine though. Guzzi's first water cooled one so it will probably blow up or something spectacular anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same here but with all bikes varys from 2000-2019, carbs to inject with the best reasonable prep to them they all have to a certain degree trouble to start after a couple of months of a couple of prods to a full drop all fuel, clean out and start afresh...

i really like motoguzzis for some reason even though ive never owned one...was so close to buying one (V7or9) to replace the 955i before the gsf i have now.

im a year or so down the line with but if i was to suddenly need to change the gsf, the motog sel in the same green you have would be on my first list to try out...i happy to say out very jealous and hope you have a real trouble free time with the bike.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Intend to run the Guzzi the same.  It is a new model engine though. Guzzi's first water cooled one so it will probably blow up or something spectacular anyway. 

Don’t joke @S-Westerly. Mates V100 is on its 2nd engine after 2300 miles. Big end bearing collapsed 😳

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My bike lives outside under a cover. No toasty garage for it until I go away when it shares accommodation with my son in law's bike. Ran the Ducati on E10 most of the time without any issues. Intend to run the Guzzi the same.  It is a new model engine though. Guzzi's first water cooled one so it will probably blow up or something spectacular anyway. 

You absolutely missed my point.  You were replying to somebody elses post about not relying on fuel stabilisers and giving a time limit on modern fuels in carbed bikes.

You could have been construed as saying the post was rubbish, when in fact you were talking about your particular bike only.

We have a duty to be ultra clear when we post because people who may not know anything about technicalities may well be looking in for advice.

Your post about fuel additives invalidating the warranty and you not using them may be taken as that fuel stabilisers are a bad thing.  They are not.

The manufacturer does not know what you will be putting in the fuel and therefore if you added a " home brewed" stabiliser and it dried out the seals you are not covered by warranty.  Its a win for the manufacturer.  Your warranty is void with no risk to him.

If your bike broke down due to stale fuel, guess what.  Your warranty is void and you are going to have to cough up for the repair because it is not a manufacturing defect.  Either way, the manufacturer wins.  Of course he is not going to recommend fuel additives because he does not give a damn about your fuel going bad.  Win win to him.

It is important to understand who may be looking to your posts for advice.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

You absolutely missed my point.  You were replying to somebody elses post about not relying on fuel stabilisers and giving a time limit on modern fuels in carbed bikes.

You could have been construed as saying the post was rubbish, when in fact you were talking about your particular bike only.

We have a duty to be ultra clear when we post because people who may not know anything about technicalities may well be looking in for advice.

Your post about fuel additives invalidating the warranty and you not using them may be taken as that fuel stabilisers are a bad thing.  They are not.

The manufacturer does not know what you will be putting in the fuel and therefore if you added a " home brewed" stabiliser and it dried out the seals you are not covered by warranty.  Its a win for the manufacturer.  Your warranty is void with no risk to him.

If your bike broke down due to stale fuel, guess what.  Your warranty is void and you are going to have to cough up for the repair because it is not a manufacturing defect.  Either way, the manufacturer wins.  Of course he is not going to recommend fuel additives because he does not give a damn about your fuel going bad.  Win win to him.

It is important to understand who may be looking to your posts for advice.

Dear God, I'm not giving advice to anyone. My opinion is mine and mine alone. I'm not going into a debate about fuels in which some people obviously have very strong opinions. I don't.

• Like 2

Got out for a scoot yesterday after what seems like an eternity 

With a new storm every few days the roads are in an absolutely manky state here in Ireland 

The usual rigmarole is to clean the bike then go out for a spin to blow it dry as it lives under a cover in the garden 

But every time I go out it comes back manky 

So as part of my Christmas prez I got one of these 

Works great and is surprisingly powerful for the size of it :-)

Gave it a try yesterday after fitting a new clutch lever ( dropped the bike in the wind ) before Christmas 

image_2023-12-29_103707283.png

• Like 5

In a fit of enthusiasm I cleaned and oiled the chain. This has completely worn me out, I’m officially frazzled and so I have retired to bed in readiness for a fun packed night with the (always) rampaging schizophrenics. Four nights of it. Acsherley the chain was in dire need. I have lost track on the last time I oiled it and I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been cleaned since the end of August.  Not ideal doing it to a cold chain in the bleak mid winter but this is what enthusiasm does to a man. I’m sure it will be fine. The oil can creep all it wants into every nook and cranny. And I shall check for naughty drips ruining my patio on Tuesday next year. The anticipation is killing me. Night night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, JRH said:

Don’t joke @S-Westerly. Mates V100 is on its 2nd engine after 2300 miles. Big end bearing collapsed 😳

Better than my almost new Cali shaft drive seizing up while doing 75-80 on the M40 in the third lane. The streak of rubber across the tarmac matched the one in my pants. 

I adore Guzzis but I've never had anything but abysmal disasters with them and the parts supply/warranty work from the importers and dealers.

• Sad 3

Took the bike out for an hour today, just to try the Keis Heated Gloves. Short trip out to Lymm Dam, back over Warburton Toll Bridge, crossing over the Manchester ship canal, through Glazebury and home. 

Could believe how toasty and warm these things are. :thumb:

Will leave cleaning the bike until next year 😂

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.4f49ee8aaea6225cd68c13a72ac68a30.jpeg

image.png

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 6

Took delivery of my new Ultimate Addons heated grips (10% discount from Richy Vida's YouTube channel). Peeled off the rubber from the old grips and spotted a broken wire. Made a bit of a running repair, covered it in hot glue and heat resistant tape and stuck it all back together.

I now have a spare set of heated grips for when the inevitable happens...

• Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 13:26, Fiddlesticks said:

Took delivery of my new Ultimate Addons heated grips (10% discount from Richy Vida's YouTube channel). Peeled off the rubber from the old grips and spotted a broken wire. Made a bit of a running repair, covered it in hot glue and heat resistant tape and stuck it all back together.

I now have a spare set of heated grips for when the inevitable happens...

handy!! (As it were)

• Haha 2

Dusted it off and went out tagging. Good views from the top of edge hill.

P1030575.jpeg

• Like 5

Rode to the Piston Club at the Stag. First time I've been here and on first impressions I'll be back. Pretty quiet now but at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon not too surprising.  By the time I get home I'll have over 500 miles on the bike. I've another 200 plus due tomorrow and Friday so I'll be booking in the first service for end of next week - weather permitting. Be nice to be able to exceed 4500 rpm! It'll have taken.me just under a month which considering the crap weather and Christmas and New Year mucking things up isn't too bad.

• Like 4

As I have mentioned on the Newby thread, I bought a 2002 Honda Hornet yesterday, 30 000 miles on the clock.

Barely 1500 a year, I did 13 000 on my first bike in the first year.

Spent today checking it over and small jobs, tightened up mirrors as they were loose, throttle was turning on its rubber so cleaned it out and put nylon tape in, nice and tight now.

It's got heated grips which is new to me and I nearly took them off, but decided against it.

Lubed up switches and chain , took some pictures of my grandson ( aged6) sitting on it.

Adrenaline still rushing.

• Like 5

160 miles down to Bournemouth. Snap a picture of the bike. Turn around and ride the 160 cold miles home. 

im currently warming in a burger place trying to work out how my left palm has a blister when I don’t have a clutch?!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mawsley said:

160 miles down to Bournemouth. Snap a picture of the bike. Turn around and ride the 160 cold miles home. 

im currently warming in a burger place trying to work out how my left palm has a blister when I don’t have a clutch?!

Would that be from slapping yourself on the back for finding a ridiculously high numbered pub ?

By the way are you chilly willying tomorrow?

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Mawsley said:

I don't have a clutch either.. I have two. one for gears 1,3 and 5 and the other for gears 2,4 and 6.

its complicated I know.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Would that be from slapping yourself on the back for finding a ridiculously high numbered pub ?

By the way are you chilly willying tomorrow?

Cheers

Ian

Probably going to have to work given I’ve done nothing for three days. 

That, and the noise coming from my front wheel that needs a proper looking at before I take it back out. 

Not mine, but took this for a ride today. 2019 765RS, found the suspension quite soft, being shod with road rain rubber and the temps being cold made a few corners a bit skitish on the road. I was aroun 15-20mph but the rear just felt like it was sliding a little. I might be tempted to extend my budget and go for a later model 

IMG_20240106_112745(002).thumb.jpg.1d501f95ad1586ad79b34ea857b8674a.jpg

I then took a 2022 Kwack Z900, which just as I left the dealers the rain started, nothing heavy but enough to make me a little more causious. They had a 2018, which when I sat on it was much smaller, so the 22 was the bike for the ride. I found the suspension much harder and I really didn't enjoy the ride one bit. I will go back once we get a dry spell and have a better ride. One this was that this had only basic suspension, which was almost at it's softest at the rear. You could certainly feel the extra 24kg weight in the bike though. I wasn't sure about the Delvic exhaust, but it sounded nice with the baffle in.

image.thumb.png.cf3dd4da84fbb0d34fb9446eeb9112ef.png

• Like 3