Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

11 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good evening,

Been giving interviews for a job at my place today. I was told the market was red hot at the moment, but we can’t seem to get someone with the right experience through the door. It doesn’t seem that big an ask, just someone with design experience who is used to going on site. Thought it was fairly common!

Any electrical engineers here looking for a job? :lol: 

I would be happy to engage as a consultant Electrical Engineer - £2K per day (minimum 2 days contract). 🙃

Otherwise:  Good Morning all!

Dick Grayson Titans GIF by HBO Max

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good morning :classic_biggrin:

We're off to Norfolk in the campervan soon :cheers:

Going to be nice tomorrow, have a good time 

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2024 at 21:08, Fozzie said:

Good evening,

Been giving interviews for a job at my place today. I was told the market was red hot at the moment, but we can’t seem to get someone with the right experience through the door. It doesn’t seem that big an ask, just someone with design experience who is used to going on site. Thought it was fairly common!

design of? electrical engineer.

On 02/05/2024 at 21:08, Fozzie said:

Good evening,

Nahh. Enjoying retirement too much. 
however, when I handed in my notice the company had similar issues finding someone with the relevant experience, both design and site. Ended up with a designer who doesn’t do sites. 

• Like 1

We can't get hire decent software engineers, even though we offer good pay. When I retire next year they won't even try to replace me; they know they won't find anyone. Our problem is that we're a lumbering old engineering company, and just not cool enough to attract young (or even middle-aged) bright things.

• Sad 2

Engineering is the backbone of n industrial society. The decline in British engineering is a sad indictment on the state of our economy. 

• Like 2

Only ever read good stuff about the F800GS. 

From what I've seen on YouTube, it's one of those bikes you get if "you know". 

Congratulations. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 21:51, S-Westerly said:

Engineering is the backbone of n industrial society. The decline in British engineering is a sad indictment on the state of our economy. 

It is, and it’s going to be a huge job untangling the mess that a lot of small, quick start up companies are leaving in their wake by using either foreign design houses or inexperienced designers. As the companies relying on these don’t have the in house expertise to check their work. 

I’m no where near the competency of a consultant against my own internal measure, but I’m routinely picking apart messes left behind by them. And it’s less to do with me trying to up skill, and more the void being left behind by older engineers retiring and taking their knowledge with them. And as companies have slimmed down for years to high performance small teams, there was no talent pool beneath these engineers learning from them.

The big one at the moment is there’s very little awareness of what problems we face going forward with a decentralised grid and a lot of renewables. So no one is putting in any resilience now. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

corporations believe consultants is a higher level of intelligence, but really just some mofo who is paid more yet the company has no idea what they do but "need them" to fill the profile of a job role that they "dont want full time" but keep them full time cos upper management and HR have no idea wft they are doing. thats my experience of 99% of it..

if you get the chance, go for it cos you haven't anything to lose but to gain from the incompetent ar*eholes running the show.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

corporations believe consultants is a higher level of intelligence, but really just some mofo who is paid more yet the company has no idea what they do but "need them" to fill the profile of a job role that they "dont want full time" but keep them full time cos upper management and HR have no idea wft they are doing. thats my experience of 99% of it..

if you get the chance, go for it cos you haven't anything to lose but to gain from the incompetent ar*eholes running the show.

Not all consultants fit into your description...........