Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good evening,

Bracing for a difficult chat with my manager, got some stuff going on at work at the moment, and every move I'm making is very carefully measured. I absolutely despise office politics, the games people play and the agendas. They don't mix well with me, who historically deals with these situations very bluntly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good evening,

Bracing for a difficult chat with my manager, got some stuff going on at work at the moment, and every move I'm making is very carefully measured. I absolutely despise office politics, the games people play and the agendas. They don't mix well with me, who historically deals with these situations very bluntly. 

Same here, loathe it.

I've managed my "career" by finding the bottom rung of the ladder and refusing to let go. So I get to do real work and mainly stay out of all that stuff. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bonio said:

Same here, loathe it.

I've managed my "career" by finding the bottom rung of the ladder and refusing to let go. So I get to do real work and mainly stay out of all that stuff. 

The short of it for me is my company is slashing the work force in half. Down to a small “high performance” team. I’m not at risk apparently, but I’ve gone after a much bigger role elsewhere in the company. 

This is causing trouble for me, namely suggestions some will try to block this if I’m successful. But I’ve recently sat through meetings where protocol has been thrown out the window, or high level leadership have spun things to make it the fault of others, to absurd levels. One literally passed the buck on an issue they readily admitted to being aware of for weeks, and was their job to manage the department that caused the f**k up. And the big boss said nothing, no challenge. I was going nuclear and reached out to that staff member afterwards. And it’s this way on most projects, those who have had their own agenda, or deviated from company strategy and its blown up in their face are now playing dirty. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good evening,

Yeah I almost got sacked in my last job for working on a "f**k your politics, I'm doing it anyway" basis. Never relented but I was well shot of it.

Moved job and I'm in one whereby we actively shun politics and the gaffer stands by our decision. Regret not doing it sooner because it's made me so much more effective.

Last job I just built what came my way often in a shit way dictated by some twat in a suit. In this job I've already built a hugely successful platform which I now act as a technical director for and built my own team - having strong armed a promotion after year 1. Now I'm going for my second platform/ team. So I can basically do what I like in terms of the "difficult second album"

In my last job? No f**king way, I'd have been lumbered with red tape and told it was another team looking into it and you can't just go speak to people you need to go through the right channels, you're not senior enough etc.

Way better off jumping ship to where you can thrive then absolutely beating every opportunity for growth you can see.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, megaross said:

Yeah I almost got sacked in my last job for working on a "f**k your politics, I'm doing it anyway" basis. Never relented but I was well shot of it.

I've seen people do this, but those who love office politics spin it into things like "not a team player", which usually your actual team disagrees with :|

Tensions are running high at my place, so there's a lot of misinterpretation going on at all levels. So I'm being careful and measured in how I navigate it, but there have been some who have gone bitter and are now trying to stir things up. And that's the bit I find it hard not to respond to. 

Fortunately I'm no where near as hot headed as I was. I used to see blowing up the situation as a form of "cutting to the chase", and waded into fights that weren't mine. More than a decade ago I had a line manager who frequently had complaints (but was sweet with the bosses), and we all quietly knew she was accessing our e-mails and digging for dirt. After ignoring it, I got fed up of her personal snipes at me and others, and I decided to flush her out, and the end result was a meeting where she thought I was going to be fired, had print outs of e-mails where I was critical of her. And I replied with print outs of personal e-mails where I showed it was staged to prove previous complaints of her accessing peoples accounts had been correct. It didn't go either of our ways, it became 5 rounds of HR meetings! My big boss was right "Why did you think to involve yourself like this?".

Was a learning experience for a few folks, I'm from one of the first generations to grow up with the internet, so e-mail hacking, or cracking into myspace/facebook to stir up drama was common. It was far from my first rodeo, although I do my best to stay well clear now. I do however frequently get the gossip from the HR girls at my company, and this sort of thing is still very common. 

Edited by Fozzie
Spelling

The main thing is that if you're right and your actions have the interest of your clients at heart, the rest becomes easy.

I learned a while back that if I work with honest intentions you're basically impossible to sack and it'll drive the political potato heads f**king bananas.

I'm lucky where I am. My boss does the politics. He's got our group (him and me) down as doing "research" which means no reviews, so no-one to block what we're up to. Been this way for a few years, and it's the first time I've been able to get things done in years.

I give two kinds of quotes

"Yeah give me 20 minutes"

And

*Sharp inhale* That's a big job mate, gonna take a while. Might need infrastructure and networks involved. Let me see what I can do.

(Back to reading the MCN)

Edited by megaross
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, megaross said:

I give two kinds of quotes

"Yeah give me 20 minutes"

And

*Sharp inhale* That's a big job mate, gonna take a while. Might need infrastructure and networks involved. Let me see what I can do.

(Back to reading the MCN)

what More Crap News