Exclude all motorcycle training and examinations from any Covid-19 restrictions

KiwiBob

Lockdown? .. Yet B&Q are still open, as are Greggs. McDonalds etc people going to work on public transport.

Yet an activity/industry that is probably as safe as you can get is stopped .. 

I agree it wont change a thing .. I was asked to share and as I agree with it I have.. If you don't agree that's also fine!

• Like 3

@Bender  Around here most seem to be treating it as a month long holiday with the kids at school :???:

Town is always packed with people, Costa, Greggs, Subway, Home Bargains etc are rammed. At the chippie we are as busy as ever if not more so, with loads of people making much bigger orders than usual, most likely having friends, relatives round for a meal.

Only thing that has really changed is its like a ghost town from 7pm with no restaurants or pubs being open

Signed.

I passed Mod1+2 in September and the rules were so strict and numbers of people allowed was so low that you had about 6 people in total (students and examiners + security guard) at a massive (incredibly spaced out) test centre, that you were only allowed to enter the building one at a time, with a mask, to use the toilet. 

I understand stopping car tests, enclosed space etc, but biking... + with helmet & gloves? and the whole, 1 person per bike aspect?

It seems motorcycle tests have been caught up in broad brush legislation.

I understand they don't have the resources to assess all industries in detail for their ability to be Covid-secure during a lockdown but the department of transport one that caters for more solo travel for the nation? Should be in top 10. or at least one above elite athletes.

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

When I did my test at a large test center pre covid there were only 4 of us there, 2 each  learners and instructors.

Really? Being NCL area, I am assuming you went Gateshead centre?
I did my MOD1 late Oct (month ago) and there were loads of people.
4 diff schools. Each one had 4 people. 3 Examiners (that I saw), office people.

The examiners were strict with themselves/people who interacted with them (mask on, keep 6 ft away etc).
But the rest of us were just milling about like normal.
All the masks make it all very hard for someone who relies on lip reading 99.9% of the time.

I guess it is just extremely busy because of all the backlog. Now I have to wait again, mod2 was meant to be yesterday.

4 minutes ago, mthinesy said:

I lost out on my MOD1 by a day. Rebooked for mid December, although I'm getting nervous about that now being cancelled too if lockdown/restrictions are extended.

The whole thing is stressy enough without not knowing if you’ll even get the test. 
My sons driving test was cancelled back in April and when he got his new date in September the back log was so enormous we were told it  maybe months before a retake would be possible. Fortunately he passed but it does add some unnecessary stress. You have my sympathy, it sucks.

• Like 1

@Slowlycatchymonkey Back when I did my Driving test ( only about 5 years ago, I was a late starter :classic_blush:) mine was cancelled due to lack of staff. I was given a date which was 4 months later :classic_unsure:

And then two weeks after my original date my instructor rang me up at about 9pm to ask me what I was doing in the morning as there was a cancellation and he could get me in for a test at 8am :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mthinesy said:

Just waiting now to see what will happen with lessons and tests in the new tiers. I'm in Manchester which I'm assuming will be straight into the highest tier. I fear they will be cancelled again.

😬 The ‘tougher tiers’ they’re banging on about make it sound like it’s going to be much easier to slip into a tier with heavier restrictions. Mind you if they’re to be believed (had to stop typing for a while until the laughing subsided) then the worse areas will get mass testing to help them get out of it faster so you never know. Fingers crossed for you. 

I signed the petition about a week ago back when there was only around 1k folk have signed it, I'm sad to see that there hasn't been much movement since then, by the time there is enough signatures, we would probably be in another form of lockdown by then. :( I do feel for the instructors though as there is not enough support to help them through is pandemic.

• Like 1

Have a refresher lesson on Sunday with my MOD1 on Monday. Weather looks grim, storm moving in from Sunday through Monday. Since I started learning back in September, every lesson has been in the rain. This was also the case when I took some lessons when I was 19.

Guest Swagman
3 minutes ago, mthinesy said:

Have a refresher lesson on Sunday with my MOD1 on Monday. Weather looks grim, storm moving in from Sunday through Monday. Since I started learning back in September, every lesson has been in the rain. This was also the case when I took some lessons when I was 19.

Well you are learning in the worst of it so eventually will make you a safer rider.👍