Is The Royal Enfield Himalayan Getting A Nav Upgrade?

Admin

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Let’s hope it works better than the ridiculous compass they whacked on there, it’s got more in common with a windmill than a tool for navigation 😂

Well ... if you calibrate the compass before each ride it will ...... point anywhere it wants within 100 yds .... It is simple to calibrate by riding in figure of 8 patterns in an empty car park .... OK its pointless ..!!

https://www.royalenfield.com/uk/en/our-world/media/news/product-launches/meteor-launch/

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Well ... if you calibrate the compass before each ride it will ...... point anywhere it wants within 100 yds .... It is simple to calibrate by riding in figure of 8 patterns in an empty car park .... OK its pointless ..!!

https://www.royalenfield.com/uk/en/our-world/media/news/product-launches/meteor-launch/

so you are saying it is a useless piece of equipment 

3 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I love it .... super simple after the ZZR's , Gixers and killer YammaGammas ..... like a modern MZ ETZ 300 ...... :classic_biggrin:

fullsizeoutput_35c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_362.jpeg

I like the thought of this kind of back to basics adventury bike, just needs a bit more vavavoom ( like 2X )

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

it looks like a parts bin special .

The ultimate parts bin creation .... The Bandit ... a unique bike ... there's never 2 quite the same  .... :classic_biggrin:

Bandits are nice ... so i'm told ....

The Himalayan has some excellent admittedly not obvious qualities. It’s incredibly robust in-spite of its cheapness, takes a fair amount of bashing to properly break it, it’s easily fixed so most of the time it can be repaired on the side of the road (if you have the parts n skills which I don’t), most of its steel so you can just bend back bits without them snapping which I’ve done more than once, it’s excellent off road particularly for anyone with a shorter inseam, its well balanced so it doesn’t feel at all heavy (until you’re picking it up) and it may get sneered at a bit as not a proper off road bike but I wouldn’t want ride for any length of time on the ‘proper’ off road alternatives, it pleasantly chugs away and no its 24.5bhp isn’t that engaging but that can also be a plus cos it just gets on with the job leaving you to enjoy the scenery. Its completely trustworthy in mud, water, over rocks and because of that it’s a bike that makes you a better rider. Most of the alternatives to the Himalayan are double the price and the owners are so precious about them that they may take them off road once before they realise they are too worried about breaking their expensive toy to be able to enjoy it and are often so tense they can’t ride it and do end up coming off. As a go anywhere, just enjoy the ride bike it theres no competition. I couldn’t have it as my only bike but I also wouldn’t want to be without it. Chris Scott, Nathan Millward and Itchy Boots Norally Schoenmaker choose the Himalayan for world travel because it’s damn good at what it does. 

46 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The Himalayan has some excellent admittedly not obvious qualities. It’s incredibly robust in-spite of its cheapness, takes a fair amount of bashing to properly break it, it’s easily fixed so most of the time it can be repaired on the side of the road (if you have the parts n skills which I don’t), most of its steel so you can just bend back bits without them snapping which I’ve done more than once, it’s excellent off road particularly for anyone with a shorter inseam, its well balanced so it doesn’t feel at all heavy (until you’re picking it up) and it may get sneered at a bit as not a proper off road bike but I wouldn’t want ride for any length of time on the ‘proper’ off road alternatives, it pleasantly chugs away and no its 24.5bhp isn’t that engaging but that can also be a plus cos it just gets on with the job leaving you to enjoy the scenery. Its completely trustworthy in mud, water, over rocks and because of that it’s a bike that makes you a better rider. Most of the alternatives to the Himalayan are double the price and the owners are so precious about them that they may take them off road once before they realise they are too worried about breaking their expensive toy to be able to enjoy it and are often so tense they can’t ride it and do end up coming off. As a go anywhere, just enjoy the ride bike it theres no competition. I couldn’t have it as my only bike but I also wouldn’t want to be without it. Chris Scott, Nathan Millward and Itchy Boots Norally Schoenmaker choose the Himalayan for world travel because it’s damn good at what it does. 

what would you say it's alternatives are.... 

8 minutes ago, Six30 said:

what would you say it's alternatives are.... 

The usual BMW and Honda ‘adventure’ bikes are the ones that seem to make people tense off road but the CRF is what I was thinking of. You know the high ground clearance skinny hard seated jobs. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The usual BMW and Honda ‘adventure’ bikes are the ones that seem to make people tense off road but the CRF is what I was thinking of. You know the high ground clearance skinny hard seated jobs. 

it was the " alternatives that are double the price" bit you said ...... you can get 2019/20  GS or v Strom same money possibly bit less than the Enfiled new price ... probably not much more for a nearly new crf.

I wouldn’t compare new with second hand, need to compare both new or both second hand. A new GS would comparatively set you back a lot more.
The Himalayan sits in an inbetween world of not being a true off road bike but it’s very capable and comfortable enough to do the miles on. You wouldn’t necessarily want to ride with other people on more powerful adventure bikes on motorways n dual carriageways though cos it’s not powerful enough. It can do 80 but it’s not happy.

I picked up my used Himalayan for £2900 it was only one year old and only 1900 miles on the clock. Already had an immobiliser fitted, heated grips and sintered brake pads. Bargain. 

• Like 2