How do you actually pick a bike?

Silentbob83

Same boat as me I  passed  in early December. I have no idea what I want, so for the time being I will just carry on riding my little bike and enjoying it.

Like the colour and the bike as well have good time on it and take care.

• Like 1

One consideration when buying a bike is how well it will hold its value . That's the beauty of having a Sportster . The lowest price is seemingly fixed at £3500 and the average price is around £4500 . However , with the announcement that the Sportster is to be finally discontinued , prices can only start to climb . And if you happen to have a desirable model from the first year of production that is relatively unmodified then it gets even better . So my two year quest is paying off already . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

One consideration when buying a bike is how well it will hold its value . That's the beauty of having a Sportster . The lowest price is seemingly fixed at £3500 and the average price is around £4500 . However , with the announcement that the Sportster is to be finally discontinued , prices can only start to climb . And if you happen to have a desirable model from the first year of production that is relatively unmodified then it gets even better . So my two year quest is paying off already . 

What kind of barbarian are you???

getting a bike by its value??

Glad my babies can't hear you. imagine how depressed they would be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, husoi said:

You misunderstand Sir . I wanted a Sportster anyway . The fact that I'm not losing money is purely a happy coincidence . 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

You misunderstand Sir . I wanted a Sportster anyway . The fact that I'm not losing money is purely a happy coincidence . 

humm... :P 

17 hours ago, fastbob said:

I bought my VFR in 2002 for £4,000. It is now worth the scrap value. If only all my bikes had depreciated at that rate. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, husoi said:

Down here there are plenty of happy to find a 20 year old bike Firkle about a bit, give it a clean.  Then try and sell it on for twice the price as the next classic.
"Only got it for a year I am doing it up to sell", "I bought it for the winter in the spring it will be worth so much more" & "I made money on the last one".

Normal people learn from their mistakes. Clever people learn from the mistakes of others. On this occasion you learn from mine:

I bought a 20-year old, reasonably priced bike with one owner from new (normally a good sign) but not a shred of paperwork re history. Of course it turned out to be a heap of shite. 

If you’re offered bikes with no paperwork, walk away.

On 12/01/2021 at 14:06, Steve_M said:

I bought my VFR in 2002 for £4,000. It is now worth the scrap value. If only all my bikes had depreciated at that rate. 

I had my VFR for over 11 years. Nothing would have separated us, had it not been for the uncomfortable sitting position after developing arthritis. Great bikes.

• Like 1

I bought a thirty year old bike for 1100 pounds that I adore. Some muppet drove into it, the insurance paid me less than the value but only by a bit and I was able to mend it with @Fastbob’s help. In the end I got a working bike for about 150 and I suspect it is worth more than that now :-) 

• Like 1

I made a note of bikes I liked in the 600cc range. Then did some insurance quotes on the ones in my budget.

Then went to look at a few. Turned out a bike i really liked (zzr600) seemed really low.

Insurance was a big deal at first. Was crazy how a zzr600 was a 3rd of the cost of a CBR600F. both very similar power etc.

There are bikes higher than 600 of course that didnt mess the insurance too much.

I wanted to ride for longer days out so avoided race style bikes. Sports tourer being my choice. But do now fancy testing some sporty bikes.

I only buy bikes that make me feel good. That can be the way it looks, sounds, rides... whatever.

I'd happily buy a bike that depreciated badly, was uncomfortable etc. if being on it took me to that biking happy place.