BMW R1200RT LC Review

Stu

I thought it was about time that I wrote a review of the R1200rt! 

I have now owned the bike around 9-10 weeks and covered just under 2500 miles! The original plan was to buy this and also a second bike to play about on but the more and more I ride it the more I love it. 

Although the RT looks massively wide its actually only 2 inch wider than my FJR at the mirrors it is also a little heavier too but due the the boxer engine the weight is low down and you cannot feel the weight of the bike. its fairly easy to move about too. 

The bike handles really well and is very responsive and so well balanced it really has surprised me even when fully loaded with a pillion it handles so well 

Equipment

The bike I have has had every box ticked when ordered so it has the ESA, Gear shift assist pro (GSAP), Cruise control, Fog lights, Radio, ABS, Traction control, Tyre pressure monitors, Riding modes, Hill hold, Central locking, Keyless ignition, Engine covers, heated seats, heated grips plus a whole host of other gadgets! Its probably overkill on a bike to be honest. 

The ESA is a great feature for me as I do a lot of different riding and having the ability to easily change the suspension settings in just a few clicks of the menu is great.  

The GSAP is pretty cool too its basically BMW's version of a quickshifter but it's also a auto blipper too for coming down the gears the trouble is its addictive! pin the throttle and just keep going up the box. 

Hill hold is a good addition. A good firm pull on the front brake lever puts the rear brake on and holds it on another pull releases it or just set off with a little more revs than normal and it will release. 

Central locking is handy once you are in range with the key you hit a button on the switch gear and it unlocks all the panniers top box and cubby holes or you can do it from the remote. 

Handling & Suspension

As mentioned already the handling is good and the bike is well balanced and with the ability to easily change the suspension settings for different loads makes a huge difference to me. I have noticed that no matter what the load is the bike just takes it in its stride. The telelever suspension was a strange one to get used to as well roll off the throttle or brake and there is no nose dive

Brakes

No issues with these either but getting used to how the bike feels when you brake was a little alien to me! with the telelever suspension as mentioned about there is no nose dive when you brake and the linked brakes felt weird! It has made me lazy with the rear brake as I hardly use it now just a little pull on the front and the front and rear are on. I have being trying to get back in to the habit of using just the rear again when I need to. One criticism is the amount of brake dust I get of the pads! its shockingly bad but I'm not sure if its because I have silver wheels so it shows up more than on black what I am used to! 

The good

Everything! There is not a single thing wrong that I can find with the bike I even like the huge BMW badge on the tank protector that everyone hates so much :lol: 

The bad

As above I have failed to find anything wrong with the bike so far 

Mods

Wunderlich marathon screen the stock one works really well and is more than good enough for me but not so great for a pillion although its not bad but the Wunderlich is better for long days in the saddle when touring. 

Fender extender

Cock pit bag nice little addition to carry any quick access items 

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/topic/39852-bmw-r1200rt-cockpit-bag/?tab=comments#comment-565014

An adapter to fit my garmin zumo XT to the bmw navigation mount which was a lot cheaper than the £600 they wanted for a Nav IV

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/topic/39043-bmw-navigator-mount-to-zumo-xt-adapter/?tab=comments#comment-561412 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

20210611_113411.jpg

20210617_202604.jpg

20210715_104608.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

Must not reply, must not mention, must not. 

Ohhhh what the heck, does that badge make the bike look smaller 😁 

Nice write-up. 

Yes :D 

And thanks 

• Haha 1