Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 as a satnav on a BMW R1250GS

So I've been using a Garmin Zumo XT for the last 2 years and although I like it there's been some updates of late that seem to have had some stange routing quirks. Several people myself included are getting some weird U-turn behaviour and routing anomalies which can't be explained away purely by user error.

Anyway, I often use my phone on a QuadLock mount so I can use Waze/Google Maps and also MyRouteApp and on my last tour I found MRA to be more reliable at staying on the route than the XT did which got me thinking, then stumbled across an app called DriveModeDashboard 2 by a company called Thork Racing, which although geared towards offroad riding made me wonder if a tablet would be a better solution.

I couldn't justify the cost of their tablet especially as I didn't know if I'd like it so I opted for something middle of the road, which was a Galaxy Tab Active 3 in a powered pogo pin RAM mount. Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with it so far as it's proven excellent, but I'm yet to test it in extreme rain or heat so time will tell obviously.

I did an install video if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2B97hQC2uw

• Like 1

Waze is fun looking and has some interesting features like constant updates from other users of problems like traffic etc but Holy moly it doesn't half take you down some weird and pretty sketchy single track route 😱😰 if it gets the chance... sure the AI is a crude sense of humour.

Also sometimes thinks your an Alzheimer infested goldfish needing telling more than three times before you get to the junction and a few more while manoeuvring it..😡.

putting in stops or very specific directions are not easy to do.

favourites to give instructions are master chief 😎 which the new update ads some amusing quets, The other is red raggle...watch out for Gourds!!😏

googles is dependable and just does a good job, fairly decent a working out if there are problems on the road and better than the garmins...

tablet would need mobile connection (sim) or tethered to a mobile which will double devices with double the drain. Id be choosy on a tablet for such a job...

8 hours ago, peejay1977 said:

So I've been using a Garmin Zumo XT for the last 2 years and although I like it there's been some updates of late that seem to have had some stange routing quirks. Several people myself included are getting some weird U-turn behaviour and routing anomalies which can't be explained away purely by user error.

Anyway, I often use my phone on a QuadLock mount so I can use Waze/Google Maps and also MyRouteApp and on my last tour I found MRA to be more reliable at staying on the route than the XT did which got me thinking, then stumbled across an app called DriveModeDashboard 2 by a company called Thork Racing, which although geared towards offroad riding made me wonder if a tablet would be a better solution.

I couldn't justify the cost of their tablet especially as I didn't know if I'd like it so I opted for something middle of the road, which was a Galaxy Tab Active 3 in a powered pogo pin RAM mount. Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with it so far as it's proven excellent, but I'm yet to test it in extreme rain or heat so time will tell obviously.

I did an install video if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2B97hQC2uw

These U turns are a weird thing but there is an easy fix that makes them route as normal. 

For some reason when you import a route it does this weird U turn issue and gets stuck trying to get you back. 

You can modify the route and make it show as a saved trip rather than an imported one and this allows the zumo to route it correctly. 

Read here for more info and how to fix 

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2301

8 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Waze is fun looking and has some interesting features like constant updates from other users of problems like traffic etc but Holy moly it doesn't half take you down some weird and pretty sketchy single track route 😱😰 if it gets the chance... sure the AI is a crude sense of humour.

Also sometimes thinks your an Alzheimer infested goldfish needing telling more than three times before you get to the junction and a few more while manoeuvring it..😡.

putting in stops or very specific directions are not easy to do.

favourites to give instructions are master chief 😎 which the new update ads some amusing quets, The other is red raggle...watch out for Gourds!!😏

googles is dependable and just does a good job, fairly decent a working out if there are problems on the road and better than the garmins...

tablet would need mobile connection (sim) or tethered to a mobile which will double devices with double the drain. Id be choosy on a tablet for such a job...

Waze has taken me on some bizarre routes, most notably up the side of a mountain with the in-laws in a hire car 😂, I've been off road and driven up better tracks, you do need to investigate it's route sometimes 🤔

• Haha 1

Yep Bender Think it had SAS operation manoeuvres in mind😂, Warthog at the ready. Ma

Twice(leaving alton towers dont ask and devon) it decided roads i wouldn't consider on a ratty 125 let alone a proper bike or heaven forbid a wider vehicle like a super mini...
maybe that's because i had master chief on??

its also told us to take a slip road off the motorway when we was about 100 or less miles off our actual junction but id assume there was a smash jp the road so it was diverting us only to put tell us to go back on the same motorway we just got off 🤪, it momentarily broke up made the boring motorway journey. 
that might be because i have had red fraggle on???

Jim hendrrson lives on in digital format.

so is it me not seeing that these options give different directions and options???🤔

if its not a serious journey id go Waze cos it definitely finds ways to make it an event.😅

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Haha 1

Our best was under a bridge in Spain, not that unusual, it was a dry river bed used by locals with carts and clearance to roof was about 2 inches, the passengers all stooped down which I thought odd as it wouldn't have stopped the roof hitting the bridge 😂

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...