Waterproof over trousers and jackets - Recommendations

5 hours ago, PaulCa said:

I came here to search for a question like this and it was the one at the top anyway, thanks!

I have been using a 2 piece RevIt! textile suit for a few years.  As expected it held up fine for a winter or two but started to leak.  The trousers would not hold out to the Monday morning seat puddle any more and sitting in the office looking like you wet yourself aint cool.  The jacket leaks where there are folds, valleys and wind traps, like my elbows and chest/shoulders.  Not unexpected in my experience.

It's fine having a one suit does it all thing.  It's got abrasion protection, minimal armour in the right places, waterproof membrane and even a thermal layer!  Woohoo.

But... a full jacket n trousers with sensible armour is getting close to £500 a time.  For 2 years use?  An alternative would be to go to Gortex gear, which might last 5 or 6 winters, but costs £2000 a set.  Ouch!

I've been off 2 wheels for 2 years and getting back on them, I need a recheck of my gear.  Something I notice is that in the last 3, 4, 5 years a LOT more "urban" style "undercover" biker gear available.  Jeans that are kevlar lined, with CE/Knox armor.  Light mesh jackets to save your ass without cooking it.  Waterproof over layers....  cheap (relatively speaking) waterproof over layers.

I figure it possible to use biker jeans, lighter jackets and add other layers for what the conditions call for.  The waterproof outer might get scuffed and leak after a year, maybe 2, but it's £50, not £500.  They are probably really good waterproofs but unbreathable, but as you can take them off/open them up to cool down, unless you are riding 6 hours a day in rain, it's going to be fine.

I expect buying all the different layers separately for summer+winter might add up to more than a Gortex do-it-all suit.  But I think it would be more flexible and have a lower overall "running" cost.

What do you think?

So far with the advice here and reading online im looking towards my normal gear with a waterproof over layer.

You can also re-proof your normal textiles to a degree with the stuff you put in-wash. probably ok in showers and better if also spray on some protection. But i might do that AND get some of the products mentioned here. The oxford jacket has great reviews

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/244250

I've been using Oxford hinterland jacket and trousers. 

They are expensive but are laminated so dont take in the rain like regular textile.

I've got over clothing from armr bought from sports bike shop. Basic overalls but are definitely waterproof

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Oxford Rainseal over jacket and trousers, which have never let me down through several long days of riding in horrendous conditions. Combined with goretex boots and gloves and I've stayed dry throughout. 

However, I am increasingly tempted with good quality textile gear, potentially goretex, to not have to worry about what happens if it rains. My 5yr old RST Paragon V kit is shower proof, but I wouldn't trust it fully in a downpour, no matter how many times I've treated it with Nikwax. 

1 hour ago, Lateralus said:

However, I am increasingly tempted with good quality textile gear, potentially goretex, to not have to worry about what happens if it rains. 

If you can afford it, this is why Goretex gear is worth the money: no more anxious glances at the clouds (or the weather app, for you millennials :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1