Waterproof over trousers and jackets - Recommendations

Hey, well its here, the rainy days are more often. Although our jackets will repel rain to a degree, on longer rides we want to stay dry so having browsed amazon I thought id ask here.

Ive seen cheap to crazy prices, and reviews say some stay dry for an hour then leak a little.. we want dry for hours if possible.. can this be done without spending £100's

cheers

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My wet weather kit is an Oxford Rainseal over-jacket, and Richa over-trousers. I've been through some pretty bad weather and so far so good. They are not that expensive but neither are they dirt cheap.

Just found the richa, good reviews cheers

I've got a spada all seasons 3 layer jacket and trousers keeps me toasty warm and dry after 3 years still no leaks. Got it from a local outlet that sells end of season stuff and 2nds. West Midlands motorcycles in Brierley hill. Maybe worth looking on internet I know they will deliver out although they are not really online 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

what?

Can this be done without spending £100's  

To do it properly in my view and experience it will costs a lot of money, especially If you plan on riding all year. I have the Richa gear and it is good however 

I hate having to use it. 

8 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Can this be done without spending £100's  

To do it properly in my view and experience it will costs a lot of money, especially If you plan on riding all year. I have the Richa gear and it is good however 

I hate having to use it. 

the meme/gif really didn't get across that point. The richa stuff is fair priced, some trousers were £100+ and might not be much different but was curious on views..

3 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Are you planning on riding all year. If I was to pay £100+ for over trousers I would be looking to invest in better riding gear. 

They are for the occasions caught in the wet, more so when we go scotland to do the nc500. the point here is if there is a need to spend over £100 on trousers. Looking at the richa and rst line they are all around £20 so that was good advice.

Im not sure your getting my point about the difference between £20 richa trousers and some random £100 ones. keeping the rain off is the only goal.

7 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

They are for the occasions caught in the wet, more so when we go scotland to do the nc500. the point here is if there is a need to spend over £100 on trousers. Looking at the richa and rst line they are all around £20 so that was good advice.

Im not sure your getting my point about the difference between £20 richa trousers and some random £100 ones. keeping the rain off is the only goal.

Ah I see. Totally missed your point, Perhaps you've answered your own question, go for the Richa or Oxford ones - both good at keeping the rain off. 

There is a difference, some of the over trousers I have looked at before buying the Richa were stretch material and you didn't look like a balloon. 

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Ah I see. Totally missed your point, Perhaps you've answered your own question, go for the Richa or Oxford ones - both good at keeping the rain off. 

There is a difference, some of the over trousers I have looked at before buying the Richa were stretch material and you didn't look like a balloon. 

Avoiding looking like a balloon would be good.. hoping someone here has a product link etc.. but so far reading mixed reviews as usual on amazon. cheers

22 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Avoiding looking like a balloon would be good.. hoping someone here has a product link etc.. but so far reading mixed reviews as usual on amazon. cheers

I'm assuming you have looked at SBS

:thumb:

Edited by Pie man

28 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Actually found a brilliant oxford jacket on sbs so cheers for the link

Glad you got sorted - there are loads to choose from. I do look like a balloon with my gear on thou 

Edited by Pie man

I've got a pair of Richa which are meant to be water proof, but aren't. :( It looked like I had pee'd myself. :o 

I ended up buying some Alpinestars Andes V2 (Clicky) which work a treat, but when the heavens really open up I put a pair of cheapo waterproof's on top of them. 

The other option is to look like a giant melon/lemon with one of these bad boys ;) 

Everything is only waterproof to a point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Hey, well its here, the rainy days are more often. Although our jackets will repel rain to a degree, on longer rides we want to stay dry so having browsed amazon I thought id ask here.

Ive seen cheap to crazy prices, and reviews say some stay dry for an hour then leak a little.. we want dry for hours if possible.. can this be done without spending £100's

cheers

you can get 100% waterproof jacket and trousers from a builders supply 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

I've got a pair of Richa which are meant to be water proof, but aren't. :( It looked like I had pee'd myself. :o 

I ended up buying some Alpinestars Andes V2 (Clicky) which work a treat, but when the heavens really open up I put a pair of cheapo waterproof's on top of them. 

The other option is to look like a giant melon/lemon with one of these bad boys ;) 

Everything is only waterproof to a point.

I'm with Fish. I use HG textiles, and if it really chucks it down I stick either a one piece oversuit on or a pair of walkers overtrousers and jacket on. 

They are only meant to be showerproof, but they keep your bike gear dry, and they are easier to dry out afterwards. For boots I have only ever had one truly waterproof pair, and they were called derryboots

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

I'm with Fish. I use HG textiles, and if it really chucks it down I stick either a one piece oversuit on or a pair of walkers overtrousers and jacket on. 

They are only meant to be showerproof, but they keep your bike gear dry, and they are easier to dry out afterwards. For boots I have only ever had one truly waterproof pair, and they were called derryboots

derryboots the choice of dispatch riders

I came here to search for a question like this and it was the one at the top anyway, thanks!

I have been using a 2 piece RevIt! textile suit for a few years.  As expected it held up fine for a winter or two but started to leak.  The trousers would not hold out to the Monday morning seat puddle any more and sitting in the office looking like you wet yourself aint cool.  The jacket leaks where there are folds, valleys and wind traps, like my elbows and chest/shoulders.  Not unexpected in my experience.

It's fine having a one suit does it all thing.  It's got abrasion protection, minimal armour in the right places, waterproof membrane and even a thermal layer!  Woohoo.

But... a full jacket n trousers with sensible armour is getting close to £500 a time.  For 2 years use?  An alternative would be to go to Gortex gear, which might last 5 or 6 winters, but costs £2000 a set.  Ouch!

I've been off 2 wheels for 2 years and getting back on them, I need a recheck of my gear.  Something I notice is that in the last 3, 4, 5 years a LOT more "urban" style "undercover" biker gear available.  Jeans that are kevlar lined, with CE/Knox armor.  Light mesh jackets to save your ass without cooking it.  Waterproof over layers....  cheap (relatively speaking) waterproof over layers.

I figure it possible to use biker jeans, lighter jackets and add other layers for what the conditions call for.  The waterproof outer might get scuffed and leak after a year, maybe 2, but it's £50, not £500.  They are probably really good waterproofs but unbreathable, but as you can take them off/open them up to cool down, unless you are riding 6 hours a day in rain, it's going to be fine.

I expect buying all the different layers separately for summer+winter might add up to more than a Gortex do-it-all suit.  But I think it would be more flexible and have a lower overall "running" cost.

What do you think?

• Like 1

IME experience there are two ways to stay waterproof. The cheaper option is plasticised fabric that is not breathable and goes over armoured clothing, such as

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/256348?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkoGK3Z6u8wIV44BQBh1OdgfYEAQYBSABEgJ43_D_BwE

Or, the more expensive option is any armoured clothing that includes Goretex, such as

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/390828

• Like 2