Maintenance

Spongefinger

Hi all,

I got my first bike (2000 hornet) about a month or so ago. I'm looking to do some basic maintenance on it. I'm very new to doing anything like this below is what I had planned.

Oil change, new oil filter, new air filter, chain  lube , new spark plugs.

Because I'm a novice I have no real idea of how much of this actually NEEDS doing but I'm guessing it can't hurt to do it all.

Also is replacing the brake fluid a job best left to someone who really knows what they are doing ? Obviously mucking about with the brakes can be quite hazardous !!

Is there anything I missed at all?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thats the minimum I would be looking at doing but I would also be balancing the carbs/throttle bodies and cleaning the brakes up and bleeding new fluid through 

Whether you should leave it to someone else to do is dependent on how confident you are with the spanners and whether you are competent enough to do the work 

Mucking about with brakes isn't hazardous as they will either work or not and you will know if they aren't working before you ride! Bleeding the fluid through is easy and the only thing you need to be careful of is not allowing the fluid to drop too low in the reservoir and allowing air in to the system. 

Doing them with another person is best 

• Like 1

The best way to learn is to do. But with motorcycles you want to make sure that what you are doing is safe (especially working on things like brakes) and also that you do things right. For example, putting spark plugs in is relatively straightforward but you wouldn't want to overtighten them and strip the threads. So it depends how much experience you have.

Generally the rule of thumb is the most dangerous things are the things you don't know you don't know. If you are aware of your limitations and proceed accordingly things go better.

If you don't have a service history assume it needs doing. 

I agree with Stu's advice to get someone to do it with you first time. Having a mentor who will let you do it yourself but keep an eye out and offer advice when needed is a good way to gain experience without risking busting something. 

Some people think bleeding brakes is a dark art - it's really very simple with loads of YouTube tutorials, just pick the method that works for you. I recently bought a neat little gizmo that includes a handy little wrench attached to a one-way valve. Not necessary but when one of the bleed nipples is in an awkward place it makes life dead simple. 

When pouring brake fluid or coolant you want a steady controlled flow. So one trick is to pierce two small holes in the foil cap and then it's easy to get a nice steady trickle. 

A Haynes manual is a good start. They aren't always correct in all details but they do provide the basics and you can read through a job before you start. 

IMG_20210930_133927526 (1).jpg

Coolant1.jpg

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

A manual is a must, just read it and have a good look round the bike no need to touch anything just look and see what you understand from the manual. watch many YouTube videos, take ALL with a pinch of salt, some people know what they are doing some are downright dangerous idiots. Tyres, brakes and suspension area priority.

Compare all to the service history if you have it.

• Like 2

To that basic service you maybe want to add a fuel filter.

Frequently overlooked but should be done if one is fitted.

Some bikes have built-in fuel filters which you won't be able to replace that easily.

external filters are normally between the tank and fuel pump.

More in depth service would include brake and clutch fluid replacement, as said above sounds worst than really is.

Also, depending on bike's age, fork oil is something to consider. This is a bit more "advanced" mechanical skills but you will find plenty of YT videos on how to go about it.

Essential for any type of service:

Make a note on where every part goes and where you took it out from.

Pics will help to remember where things were.

For example, a brake hose passing on the wrong place could affect how brakes will work and isn't easy to find what is wrong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, husoi said:

To that basic service you maybe want to add a fuel filter.

Frequently overlooked but should be done if one is fitted.

Some bikes have built-in fuel filters which you won't be able to replace that easily.

external filters are normally between the tank and fuel pump.

More in depth service would include brake and clutch fluid replacement, as said above sounds worst than really is.

Also, depending on bike's age, fork oil is something to consider. This is a bit more "advanced" mechanical skills but you will find plenty of YT videos on how to go about it.

Essential for any type of service:

Make a note on where every part goes and where you took it out from.

Pics will help to remember where things were.

For example, a brake hose passing on the wrong place could affect how brakes will work and isn't easy to find what is wrong.

Cheers. The bike had new fork seals and oil just before I bought it so hopefully that should be ok for a while.

• Like 1

I started from no biking knowledge but have played with mechanicals all my life.

Bikes are simple, however the first time someone breathing over your shoulder is not a bad idea.

Over tightening putting things back correct take photos..

I would go one job at a time, start with oil change, then plugs, then air filter.  That way you can check you got each but right instead of fault finding multiple faults if it doesn't go to plan.

If you can find someone to look over your shoulder who knows what they are doing the advice can be useful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The best way to learn is to do. But with motorcycles you want to make sure that what you are doing is safe (especially working on things like brakes) and also that you do things right. For example, putting spark plugs in is relatively straightforward but you wouldn't want to overtighten them and strip the threads. So it depends how much experience you have.

Generally the rule of thumb is the most dangerous things are the things you don't know you don't know. If you are aware of your limitations and proceed accordingly things go better.

If you don't have a service history assume it needs doing. 

I agree with Stu's advice to get someone to do it with you first time. Having a mentor who will let you do it yourself but keep an eye out and offer advice when needed is a good way to gain experience without risking busting something. 

Some people think bleeding brakes is a dark art - it's really very simple with loads of YouTube tutorials, just pick the method that works for you. I recently bought a neat little gizmo that includes a handy little wrench attached to a one-way valve. Not necessary but when one of the bleed nipples is in an awkward place it makes life dead simple. 

When pouring brake fluid or coolant you want a steady controlled flow. So one trick is to pierce two small holes in the foil cap and then it's easy to get a nice steady trickle. 

A Haynes manual is a good start. They aren't always correct in all details but they do provide the basics and you can read through a job before you start. 

IMG_20210930_133927526 (1).jpg

Coolant1.jpg

Thanks, this is exactly the kinds of tips I'm looking for 👌

Edited by Spongefinger