Insurance advice for an idiot

Liveware Problem

So it turns out I here didn't cancel my insurance on my gsxr 600 when I traded it against my new bike, so I've been paying for insurance on a bike I haven't owned since last June..

The insurance company has said they'll cancel it and repay me the backdated payments if I can prove I've sold the bike.

Except I don't have any documentation to prove it. Nothing from the DVLA. I asked the dealership I traded it in to but all they sent was the invoice for the new bike which makes no mention of the old bike at all, so useless. Like me 😆

Any suggestions on how I could obtain proof of sale at this stage gratefully received!

1 hour ago, Bender said:

The bike should have been registered with Dvla as under ownership of a dealer, which of course does not show on the log book. 

Surly the dealer will give you a letter?

I'll try them again, they didn't really respond to my last email except to send the invoice but hopefully they should help.

The dealer must have some paperwork for your bike taken in part ex. 

Worth mentioning that cancelling insurance on a bike you have sold or part exed is not just about your premium. If someone buys the bike and has an accident whilst it's still insured by you then your insurance can be liable.

Crazy as it seems I've known cases where someone sold a bike, forgot to cancel the insurance, or just thought they'd let it run out as it hadn't got long to go, then the bike was involved in an accident. Even though they could prove they had sold it and weren't riding it since it was still insured in their name they were liable. It proved to be very expensive and showed up on their insurance record for years.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Thanks 1

If they don't show you paperwork as they have bought the bike from you,  nothing stops you to declare the bike as stolen and send the police to recover it.

That argument would make the dealer hurry up :thumb:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The dealer must have some paperwork for your bike taken in part ex. 

Worth mentioning that cancelling insurance on a bike you have sold or part exed is not just about your premium. If someone buys the bike and has an accident whilst it's still insured by you then your insurance can be liable.

Crazy as it seems I've known cases where someone sold a bike, forgot to cancel the insurance, or just thought they'd let it run out as it hadn't got long to go, then the bike was involved in an accident. Even though they could prove they had sold it and weren't riding it since it was still insured in their name they were liable. It proved to be very expensive and showed up on their insurance record for years.

Yikes!

I suspect they may have scrapped it as it was 23 years old, mechanically not bad but very tatty. 

This side of the Channel it’s very straightforward. When a vehicle changes hands a Certificate of Cessation is signed, timed and dated by both parties. The buyer cannot register the vehicle in their name without it and the seller uses it to cancel their insurance and it can also be used as proof of exactly when the vehicle changed hands. These days it’s all done online on the ANTS site, very quick, very easy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DR1 said:

This side of the Channel it’s very straightforward. When a vehicle changes hands a Certificate of Cessation is signed, timed and dated by both parties. The buyer cannot register the vehicle in their name without it and the seller uses it to cancel their insurance and it can also be used as proof of exactly when the vehicle changed hands. These days it’s all done online on the ANTS site, very quick, very easy. 

In private selling that is how it is supposed to be done here.

when using a dealer they won't be putting the bike on their name but should inform DVLA that the current owner is no longer the current and you would get a letter from DVLA confirming that.

For insurance, you can cancel at any time. II did that with the VFR years ago between Oct to Mar. but doesn't work well on NCD because you don't do a full year. Only works on expensive insurances because the saving is greater than the NCD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1