Very near miss, ffs

Bender

Oddly I watched a bit of Dan Dan last night and was actively going through some of the stuff he was wittering on about,  not sure if I was any more or less attentive whilst riding than normal. 

Was approaching a junction which is like a tighter y, I was on the long leg heading up over if that paints a mental pic you can follow. 

White Audi suv size approached Junction coming down towards me, almost along side it a bus In a bus stop, i had just had the thought if car doesn't stop and bus pulls out only place to go is to the left and before I can think anything else car takes center line out of junction without stopping, I had already eased off i think, full emergency stop and for once I found the pathetic horn and kept finger on it,  stopped about 6" from side  of car, at first the stupid bint was waving her arms above her head like it was my fault, I think she thought either I was going too fast or i was on wrong side of road. 

I think passenger put her right and she wound window down and drove off saying she was sooo soooooo sorry. 

I didn't even speak, I also couldn't find a gear and lord knows there are 6 of them. 

Any who thanks Dan..... Even though I wasn't that keen on your style. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Seeing the hazard before it materialises and preparing for it, that's how you stay alive. Good job!

Another White Audi to add to the naughty list...

For anyone interested in my list, 

White Audi. All of them, but specifically A3/S3/ **new addition** SUV.

White BMW 1 series.

White or black BMW 3 series.  

ALL TAXI's. London black cabs/Addison lee vans/ Toyota Prius. etc.

Honourable mentions:

High performance SUVs. Audi Q7/Q8.

BMW X3/X5

Range Rover - Discovery / Sport. 

Especially if they have private plates.  

Artic lorry. Especially if they DON'T have UK plates. 

Unbranded Toyota Hilux. Actually, unbranded pick up trucks in general. They seem to follow the rules (sort of) when they have company branding on it.

Do not be surprised or angered by any flagrant behaviour on the roads of the vehicles listed above. Expect it. Prepare for it. 

• Like 3

My last unexpected emergency brake was on Harlestone Road. A big  merc style SUV came to a stop at a give way sign to my left, just about 50 metres away, but it had spinning hub cap thingies, which made it look like the wheels were rotating, so I thought it was still pulling out in my path

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, techniques said:

Seeing the hazard before it materialises and preparing for it, that's how you stay alive. Good job!

Another White Audi to add to the naughty list...

For anyone interested in my list, 

White Audi. All of them, but specifically A3/S3/ **new addition** SUV.

White BMW 1 series.

White or black BMW 3 series.  

ALL TAXI's. London black cabs/Addison lee vans/ Toyota Prius. etc.

Honourable mentions:

High performance SUVs. Audi Q7/Q8.

BMW X3/X5

Range Rover - Discovery / Sport. 

Especially if they have private plates.  

Artic lorry. Especially if they DON'T have UK plates. 

Unbranded Toyota Hilux. Actually, unbranded pick up trucks in general. They seem to follow the rules (sort of) when they have company branding on it.

Do not be surprised or angered by any flagrant behaviour on the roads of the vehicles listed above. Expect it. Prepare for it. 

I drive a fair bit for my job and damn this list is bang on !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Dan Dan has some decent analysis of bike incidents and near misses. Even got some from the UK. Some quite mind boggling and stupid actions on part of both bikers and drivers.

Yup world is full of w**kers 😁 I don't mind the ones where he runs through things. 

• Like 1

I had one on Friday going home, was on the bypass heading towards Edenthorpe,  the wind was that strong it felt like I was going backwards anyway the road was fairly empty so I was keeping more to position 3 to leave myself room. I was getting blown about and I could feel the bike slide sideways no matter how much counter steer or lean I used to try and hold position, anyway a car coming the opposite direction must have been watching me and it only must have been 20-30 yards between us and a gust took me into his path, don't know how but he moved over to the centre line which gave me plenty of room to go past on his nearside, as I went past I gave him a thumbs up, it was a weird feeling afterwards like did that just happen or did I imagine it.

• Like 1

full emergency stop and for once I found the pathetic horn and kept finger on it, 

In over 40 years of driving I have never seen a horn move a car. Even if the driver could hear it over their JBL subwooffer pumping "Mantovani's greatest urban dance hits", the horn isnt directional, so you don't know where its comming from.  Its like the "louder pipes saves lives" and the "POLITE" vest myths - figuring out what it is takes attention from actually driving the car, so its counter productive.  I tend not to use it for the reason you described. Interestingly: later model Hondas are fitted with the largest horn button you have ever seen.

Anyway, congratulations on following the safety rules of  "Halo"/"Call of Duty" :- "If its a place where you could get hit, dont be there". (or, "throw a frag grenade in first"). :-)

Edited by Pbassred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dynax said:

I had one on Friday going home, was on the bypass heading towards Edenthorpe,  the wind was that strong it felt like I was going backwards anyway the road was fairly empty so I was keeping more to position 3 to leave myself room. I was getting blown about and I could feel the bike slide sideways no matter how much counter steer or lean I used to try and hold position, anyway a car coming the opposite direction must have been watching me and it only must have been 20-30 yards between us and a gust took me into his path, don't know how but he moved over to the centre line which gave me plenty of room to go past on his nearside, as I went past I gave him a thumbs up, it was a weird feeling afterwards like did that just happen or did I imagine it.

Remembering the days I was on a 125 in the wind I always rode nearer the kerb than the centre line when traffic was coming the other way. Getting blown onto a verge was safer than getting blown into the path of an oncoming vehicle. 

Small bikes in high winds are not fun.