Ideal bike to tour across Europe on? Uk to Croatia July...

thevoyager

Can anyone share any suggestions for good bikes to ride across Europe... I would imagine mostly quiet country roads and some highway, but also possibly some light trails for off grid camping etc. 

Ideally it needs to be economical, big tank for fuel, hold panniers of some sort, have or be able to put all terrain tyres on and be a good all round bike for long distance and be quite comfortable. My plan would be to tour for 3 weeks to 4 weeks and then sell the bike when back, as I might be going away in November for the winter. 

Thanks.

Edited by thevoyager
more info

48 minutes ago, thevoyager said:

Can anyone share any suggestions for good bikes to ride across Europe... I would imagine mostly quiet country roads and some highway, but also possibly some light trails for off grid camping etc. 

Ideally it needs to be economical, big tank for fuel, hold panniers of some sort, have or be able to put all terrain tyres on and be a good all round bike for long distance and be quite comfortable. My plan would be to tour for 3 weeks to 4 weeks and then sell the bike when back, as I might be going away in November for the winter. 

Thanks.

650 v strom?.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bender said:

650 v strom?.

Thanks both.. I like the look of that and the price looks in my range too.

Which one would be the more economical and how many miles per tank and mpg could I expect on this machine?  

(Just googled it - 78mpg average with around 300 miles per tank, not too bad. My old Shadow 600 VLX only had 100!)

Edited by thevoyager
more info

650 vstrom is excellent all rounder, 65-70 mpg unless you thrash it - I’ve had under 40 sitting high speeds on french auto route chasing a ferry. Stick to normal traffic speeds and you get 65 ish.  Comfy enough for long days. I only do 1 up touring, wouldn’t fancy a passenger, not enough grunt. Brakes and suspension are nothing special, but good for the price.

I found a 2016 V STROM with 48,000 miles on for asking price £3400.... 48k is a lot right?

I am open to older models also..  But £2500 is my low price range, £3500 max I would say. 

9 hours ago, Bender said:

650 is more than enough for what you want. 

There are a few variations of it, think the xt has spoke wheels and a bit more aimed at gravel tracks, it's no gs but it's not ment to be. 

Would a BMW GS also be a good candidate? They seem to have been granted a reputation since that fella guy did that thingy me bob around the upside down world thingy. 

Edited by thevoyager

The NC750 looks good, I met a guy today who said the NC is soulless compared to the V STROM 600..... Anyone back this up? He said in the mid ranges it just isn't very exciting, the higher mpg is a better trade off tho..

Maybe he is right but if you take a look at some recent YouTube reviews many rate it. Its a different bike with lower revs so will be different. I've gone to an Africa Twin from a Tracer 900 so very different, yes not so lively as a triple but still very flexible and fun to ride but less likely to want to thrash it than the Tracer. A more chilled out ride is less tiring so ideal for longer tours. If you can try and get some test rides on a new vstrom and Nc750 the engines ain't changed massively over the years. The nc comes in 3 forms the s the x and the x adv scooter. For me I'd go with the x but it's all down to choice. 

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

................ms the s the x and the x adv scooter. For me I'd go with the x but it's all down to choice. 

Yes, I bet he just like his bike with a little more grunt, my main priority is economical and comfort, I do like the look of the NC750.....

Do they hold their value well? 

Also, how is the bike market now, still overpriced from the whole covid ordeal / "shortage of chips' ordeal? 

Anything well maintained is holding its price just take a look at some of the used prices and see what new deals there are it's all budget based. I've gone with pcp I'll most likely hang onto my current bike and get a loan at the end of the pcp or cash in an investment to pay the remainder off. 

You might get a better deal for an older NC750 now as the new version is transformed and a much more ‘exciting’ bike to ride than the previous bikes. Once this filters through, if it hasn’t already it could very well encourage higher levels of trade-ins and private sales by owners looking to replace. Helped to an extent by the cost of living crisis that will necessarily depress sales and encourage Honda and its dealers to improve deals. Lower deposits, reduce interest and so on.

24 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

You might get a better deal for an older NC750 now as the new version is transformed and a much more ‘exciting’ bike to ride than the previous bikes. Once this filters through, if it hasn’t already it could very well encourage higher levels of trade-ins and private sales by owners looking to replace. Helped to an extent by the cost of living crisis that will necessarily depress sales and encourage Honda and its dealers to improve deals. Lower deposits, reduce interest and so on.

I need a bike probbaly in the next 3 weeks I think, so will just have to accept my position in the market. 

I have now seen the difference in the 750x and the 750s, I quite like the S styling more, any other crucial differences between these I should know. Stand over height seems one but I am 5,7 so in the middle, and consider myself a good rider, having rode bikes since I was 10, and prefer a lot more space on my bikes an S could be the one?!

OK So I have settled on a bike... 

A Yamaha R1! 2007. 

Jokes aside, I sat on one and started it up in a used bike dealership, WOW! Most likely not an ideal candidate to go across Europe, my forehead was on the front wheel!

I went to look at an NC750s and a V Strom 650... I wasn't keen on the V Strom styling, and NC750 got the same comment from rep as about 10 other people, "it's a bit soulless", this made me look at others as there was over 300 bikes on display. 

Bikes that stood out..

2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3

2013 YAMAHA FZ8 FAZER 800

2008 YAMAHA FZ6 FAZER 600

There was some nice Ducati also but out my price range. 

I know I started on a boring NC750 but I also want to mix in something with a bit of grunt.. 

The FAZER8 OR THEIR 1000 is looking like a nice choice..?

Any advice?

What about a mark 1 Versys 1000?

I have a 2017 mark 2 and it’ll do a tour and be fun. It can get a shift on when you want it to. 
I mentioned the mark 1 as not sure your budget will reach the mark 2???

Oldest model at the bottom 

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/versys-1000/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

What about a mark 1 Versys 1000?

I have a 2017 mark 2 and it’ll do a tour and be fun. It can get a shift on when you want it to. 
I mentioned the mark 1 as not sure your budget will reach the mark 2???

Oldest model at the bottom 

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/versys-1000/

Nice bike but I wanting to stay away from that angular adventure look... 

TBF I think the GSXR 1000 is looking more likely.. It's 2003 model, from a dealer... so can have some peace of mind as would have been serviced and comes with some warranty. 

Plus, I love that slight colourful track bike look but without it being in your face... 

Oh and it looks like my budget might go up to 3k to 4k.. 

Edited by thevoyager
more info