A man was killed by his son’s American Bully and a rant about today’s so-called dog owners and society these days

Geoff Wilson

Did anyone hear or read about it in the news recently?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61570461

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dog-attack-wrexham-american-bully-b2087312.html?amp

Surprise, surprise, the owner’s girlfriend has attempted to defend the dog by saying:

”"I told [the dog] to get off, and he did, he's obedient. Then Kev looked down, and said 'he's got me'.”

"So many people said what a passive dog Cookie was, but Cookie hasn't attacked Kev, it wasn't a vicious attack - it was a tragic accident," she added.”

Of course she’s not going to blame her boyfriend who breeds the breed:

“"Cookie had been hand-reared by Josh from a pup, he was Josh's dog, but he was our dog," she said.”

And, wait for it…

”Ms Fong's boyfriend, Josh Jones, is a breeder of American Bullys or XL Bullys, which are legal to own in the UK.

He has been breeding the dogs for about six years, and Ms Fong said it was "his dream" to "better the breed."”

Well that hasn’t turned out how he expected it to now, has it?

She is absolutely nuts, she even compared the bloke to the dog and insists it was not even a dog attack:

”Today has been the worst day of my life. I have had to watch two men who I love so much take their last breath. I can’t shake the feeling of Keven's blood off my hands and all I can hear in my head is Cookie's cries.

"Cookie did not attack Keven, he’s a big boy and plays too rough. Please respect Josh and his family, myself and my family at this absolutely heart breaking time.”

What an absolute load of bollocks.

The American Bully dog breed is a relatively new breed and is descended from the Pitbull and other bull breeds. One of the most dangerous myths spread about the Pitbull is that it was a “nanny dog” which is completely untrue . Pitbulls were bred to fight other dogs, I mean the clue is in the name of the dog breed. It’s the same for the Staffy in the UK, it was never a “nanny dog” and was also bred to fight other dogs. Pitbulls and Staffies share common ancestors. 

Does that mean every single Staffy or Pitbull is aggressive? No. But, in general those types of breeds are more aggressive towards other dogs because that is what they were bred to do and no matter how much training one tries to do he or she cannot change nature. Huskies were bred to pull sleds. Dobermans were bred as guard dogs. Golden Retrievers were bred to retrieve. Border Collies were bred to herd and so forth. Any dog can bite, but different breeds were bred to do different things. 

What's with the idea of having a dog of any size on those stupid extendable leads? The owners don’t have any control over their dogs and in my opinion it’s a sign of lack of training and obedience. Who is walking whom? I saw a woman getting dragged down the street earlier today and I shook my head in disbelief. It’s just such stupidity.

My wife and I have three Springer Spaniels and they are all trained to walk on or off their leads next to either one of us. If we see other dogs then we put our dogs on their leads because although our dogs are fine and ignore other dogs, we do not know what other dogs are like at all. One of my biggest pet hates is when someone has his or her dog off the lead and it does not listen to him or her and he or she shouts over “don’t worry, he’s friendly!” It’s such a lack of respect for other people and their dogs and I find it very rude. 

I think political correctness has been extended to dogs for a little while now. So-called dog trainers these days just teach people to give their dogs treats for allegedly good behaviour and to just ignore (not discipline by even a firm “NO!”) things they don’t want the dogs to do. Are you kidding me? It gets even worse… there’s a largely spread myth that there’s no such thing as an Alpha male and that dogs aren’t even pack animals! What???? So I did a little bit of research into this claptrap and it turns out the person who let those facts be known prefers for people to say “parents” instead. Urgh! Even more cringeworthy is when people refer to their dogs as “fur babies”. Dogs aren’t surrogate children. Or, what about the people mixing different breeds just for the sake of it? People pay thousands for mongrels.

I think a lot of behavioural problems in dogs and even kids are down to lack of discipline, lack of respect and lack of leadership. That’s excluding the genetic side of things. Since all living things are determined by both nature and nurture. 

I really don’t understand why some people get dogs that they can’t physically control or they don’t have the time of day for at all. The latter really annoys me… all those selfish people who got dogs during the lockdowns (not everyone, obviously) and now the poor dogs are left all day bored stiff. 

When I see certain dog breeds and especially if I don’t like the look of the owners then I turn around or at least go another way. I’m always vigilant when I’m out with my dogs. There are quite a few idiots who have aggressive dogs and they love it and still let their dogs off their leads and don’t care if their dogs attack other dogs. In over three decades I have only ever had a near incident with another dog, it was in 2009 when my oldest Springer Spaniel was about 6 months old and I was on a field next to my wife’s sister’s house and I saw this Staffy come charging over and it came over snarling and growling at such speed it actually flipped over my dog and my protective instinct kicked in and it was wearing a spiky collar and I got my hands under it and choked it out and the owner came over and well as you can imagine I was furious and he was probably about 22 years old or something and I told him to give me his lead and I clipped it onto the collar and well I said a few words and let’s just say that I never saw him or his dog ever again. Thankfully it didn’t affect my dog at all because nothing happened to him, but it could have turned out differently. 

I really don’t understand why people aren’t firm but kind anymore. Has anyone else noticed this in society? I hear kids swearing at their parents. I hear kids demanding this and that. I think we live in a society in which kids aren’t told that they can ever fail and that they should be given every thing handed to them on a plate for free. You can’t say boo to a goose in case you offend anyone these days. I think the world has gone nuts!

Edited by Geoff Wilson
  • Like 1

Well my wife came home from the school where she works having been punched and locked by a seven year old. This is a daily occurrence but apparently she just has to put up with it. 

There used to be a notion that people took responsibility for their actions and decisions, but not these days. So generations deep into we have poor parenting skills. If the same philosophy applies to dog ownership it's no wonder so many are wild 

Responsibility is the key here I find many people don't take responsibilities for their actions and like to use others as an excuse as to why they don't need to take responsibility it's normally some paid officials problem not theirs. I used to say discipline and manners begin and end at home others can fill in between but pointless if it don't go on behind closed doors. 

Kids tend to act out and mimic what they see as they think it's the norm, along with being allowed to access video games  social media and TV etc that's not age appropriate. Seems like a social services referral needs to go in for the angry 7yo. Sorry your wife has to deal with parental/guardian failings it's not right at all

Meet Kiera , a Staffordshire Akita cross and possibly the most gentle dog I've ever met . I will happily leave these two together unattended for hours . 

IMG_20190616_180233671.jpg

IMG_20190627_194447801.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Meet Kiera , a Staffordshire Akita cross and possibly the most gentle dog I've ever met . I will happily leave these two together unattended for hours . 

I would imagine cat is the boss. We have a cocker and 2 cats. The kitten has no fear and rules the roost but does like to have an afternoon nap with the dog creatures of habit

On 27/05/2022 at 07:21, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Well my wife came home from the school where she works having been punched and locked by a seven year old. This is a daily occurrence but apparently she just has to put up with it. 

There used to be a notion that people took responsibility for their actions and decisions, but not these days. So generations deep into we have poor parenting skills. If the same philosophy applies to dog ownership it's no wonder so many are wild 

That’s my issue with schools these days. The kids have the upper hand and they know it. Kids can get away with pretty much any thing these days. 

Also, whilst I don’t deny that there are people (children and adults) who genuinely have disorders, it seems as though these days if a kid does something wrong then there’s always something wrong with him/her and that somehow justifies the action. 

‘The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree’ certainly comes to my mind. I think like every thing that is good is bad and every thing is bad is good. People never seem to take responsibility. 

• Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 08:34, MikeHorton said:

Responsibility is the key here I find many people don't take responsibilities for their actions and like to use others as an excuse as to why they don't need to take responsibility it's normally some paid officials problem not theirs. I used to say discipline and manners begin and end at home others can fill in between but pointless if it don't go on behind closed doors. 

Kids tend to act out and mimic what they see as they think it's the norm, along with being allowed to access video games  social media and TV etc that's not age appropriate. Seems like a social services referral needs to go in for the angry 7yo. Sorry your wife has to deal with parental/guardian failings it's not right at all

Can you imagine what the kid is like in his home?

Yup. Social contagion is a massive problem. 

You can’t say boo to a goose without offending at least one person. 

Edited by Geoff Wilson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fastbob said:

What do you think this proves? Do you think it negatives any of my points? I specifically stated that not EVERY Staffy or Pitbull is a bad dog, but the origins of those breeds need to be taken into consideration when getting one. There’s a reason why Staffies are notorious amongst chavs and the whole hardman image. With regard to the latter, it was the same for Dobermans in the 1980s, Rottweilers in the 1990s, etc. And, again, if you look into the origins of those breeds then it’s obvious why they were popular amongst hardmen. 

In some circumstances it is actually a positive to tar everyone or every thing with the same brush. There’s no way I am going to approach any thug with any tough dog. There’s no way I am going to let my dogs play with dozens of strange dogs, who knows what the temperaments of those dogs are like precisely? There’s no way I’m going to approach anyone with a knife or other weapon. There’s no way I am going to walk past a gang.

I have met a few Staffies that were lovely. My auntie had one and her dog was absolutely gorgeous. But, it is also important to look at the bigger picture when it comes to dog breeds. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ive had dogs all my life and lost both my boys last year. The husky died suddenly in my arms one saturday afternoon and the jrt had to be pts after he had a neurological event and started fitting. He was nearly 18 so a good long life. It broke my heart. Ive had pets all my life but this really hit me hard. Anyway i was brought up to be the pack leader. Horses are the same. Ive brought animals round that have been out of control and mostly unresponsive to their owners. You just need to be in charge. Not everyone is cut out to be in charge of a gob full of huge dangerous teeth. I never left my kids unattended with the dogs i had. I just wouldnt risk it.

I used to ride my horse early in the morning and my jacky would run along side of us. Part of the ride involved us going through a load of free chickens. The jack never batted an eyelid. He was a useless hunter and never managed to catch any mice at the stables. However when we rescued a husky i was walking them both one day on foot through these chickens. Husky on lead. The jack snatched a chicken and ran off with it 😳 i couldnt believe it. He had been going through them for 5yrs or more and never showed any interest. My point here is triggers....i didn't see any interaction between the two dogs but there was a trigger. Did the jrt pick up on the huskies hunting instinct and decided he'd get in before the other dog ?? That opened my eyes which i thought were already open. You just cannot tell when a trigger will be pulled. I love dogs but i was always terrified of other aggressive dogs. Had more incidents with owners and their nasty dogs than i could poke a stick at. I dont miss all that. I do miss the lads though but I'll never have another unless i can live in the remotest of places away from stupid people and chickens 😳

• Like 3