Should I be worried that my "Derbi senda racing 50 sm" is leaking oil

vert

I just bought this used bike "2009 Derbi senda racing 50 sm" and there is oil leaking from somewhere around the engine or motor, idk exactly where, the dealer said its nothing to worry about. the oil is leaking very slow, when I leave it overnight I can see the leaked oil on the ground, there isnt alot, but should I be worried?, or atleast take it to a mechanic

7 minutes ago, vert said:

I just bought this used bike "2009 Derbi senda racing 50 sm" and there is oil leaking from somewhere around the engine or motor, idk exactly where, the dealer said its nothing to worry about. the oil is leaking very slow, when I leave it overnight I can see the leaked oil on the ground, there isnt alot, but should I be worried?, or atleast take it to a mechanic

Errr yup if its dripping on the ground its going to end up on your rear tyre, would you have bought it if one of the selling points is the bike has an oil leak. 

Might be nothing major but could be you don't know. 

I'd try and find where the leak is coming from then you can work out how expensive it's going to be! :cry:

As an example I had a leak on my bike once and it turned out just to be a torn o-ring on the oil filter cover. I must of caught it when putting the cover back on. Nice cheap and easy fix.

Another thought is whats the oil level like? wondering if its been overfilled.

6 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I'd try and find where the leak is coming from then you can work out how expensive it's going to be! :cry:

As an example I had a leak on my bike once and it turned out just to be a torn o-ring on the oil filter cover. I must of caught it when putting the cover back on. Nice cheap and easy fix.

Another thought is whats the oil level like? wondering if its been overfilled.

I'm a newbie to motorcycles, but I tried looking for the source and it was around the top area of the operating part on the bike, like right around where the exhaust goes by

And I asked the previous owner about oil levels, he said that they were good, although I would want to check the oil levels myself, but my bike dosent have the small window on the side which shows how much oil is inside

Also I dont think its leaking from the engine, i think its leaking from the thing that sits on top of the engine

Edited by vert

Just googled and seen your bike is a 2 stroke. That's why it doesn't have a window to check.

Somewhere on the bike, probably under the seat will be where you fill it with 2 stroke oil. I would look around and under there to see if that's where it's leaking 

I'll let someone with more experience with 2 strokes chime in as it's a bit out of my wheelhouse :lol:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Just googled and seen your bike is a 2 stroke. That's why it doesn't have a window to check.

Somewhere on the bike, probably under the seat will be where you fill it with 2 stroke oil. I would look around and under there to see if that's where it's leaking 

I'll let someone with more experience with 2 strokes chime in as it's a bit out of my wheelhouse :lol:

I Looked closer and im 99% sure its coming from the part that connects exhaust to the whole operating part of the bike, and I also checked air filter but nothing was leaking from there

20220907_130740.jpg

20220907_130849(1).jpg

20220907_130857.jpg

20220907_131148(1).jpg

Capture+_2022-09-07-13-55-00.png

A lot of two strokes leak gunge from there its a mix of petrol/oil and carbon build up. If you wipe your finger through it its probably like a black tar like substance. A new exhaust manifold gasket would cure it as the old one is past it and been compresed to much. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to clean up the area and fit a new gasket and dealer worth his salt would want to keep his customer happy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Old-codger said:

A lot of two strokes leak gunge from there its a mix of petrol/oil and carbon build up. If you wipe your finger through it its probably like a black tar like substance. A new exhaust manifold gasket would cure it as the old one is past it and been compresed to much. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to clean up the area and fit a new gasket and dealer worth his salt would want to keep his customer happy.

thanks for the info, but is the leakage bad or will it cause the bike any harm overtime? and should I be worried?

It shouldnt cause you any problems only if it starts to leak exhaust gases which could lean off the fuel/air mixture and cause a siezure at max revs. If you start to hear poping and banging when you shut the throttle at higher revs it could be leaking more. If it was mine I would replace the gasket. Not sure where you are in the country but if you dont know anyone who could check it or sort it for you have a look at other motorcycle shops in your area and ask them what they think of the mess there. Its a lot to take in when you start biking and working out how things work and fixing them can be pain, finding good trustworthy bike shops can be a minefield but there are more good shops out there than bad. I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 3

As @Old-codger says two strokes can leak from that joint.

My own RGV has two exhaust gaskets per cylinder and after a rebuild began to weep. Took it apart and the two inner gaskets made of a coil of asbestos type material and what looked like tin foil had crushed and fell apart. I bought genuine Suzuki gaskets and has been good ever since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1