Which leathers

Guest speedyjo

I get all my gear from Frank Thomas- can be expensive, but they're good quality and last ages.

Leathers are generally deemed to be more protective, though this isn't necessarily true if you go for armoured gear. Textiles tend to be more weather-proof, so to speak and i'd say are better all rounders. They also tend to be cheaper!

Don't forget that leathers are roasting in sunny summer weather. You have to be careful not to get dehydrated or suffer from heat exhaustion. If you're going above 30 then the airflow will probably keep you cool enough but fighting your way through urban traffic is unpleasant. Remember avoid accidents is the best protection so if your leathers are so hot they are distracting you that's pretty bad news. Shorts, no top and sandals for me!

FT jackets used to fall apart when I worked at Carnells,

personally i would got to a big dealer and try on plenty, see what fits and what you like. Thats the key more than anything.

plenty or armour is the key, its nearly all CE approved nowadays.

After 20 years of riding ive got 2 1 piece leathers , some leather jeans a mixed leather jacket and a set of waterproof trousers and jacket....oh and ive worn out 2 pairs of alpinestars and a set of dainese boots and loads of gloves lol

Edited by Anonymous

Shorts, no top and sandals for me!
i really do hope you are joking ?

i use akito textiles at present and yes can get a bit hot but i'd rather sweat than smear/scrape and as mentioned go into as many dealers you can and try them on get recommendations sadly i can't comment on leathers but am looking into it and Luckily have a great Clothing dealer in Colchester ( boz) who is an avid biker and will do himself out of a sale if he thinks that the product is not up to the task and will give good impartial advice on things .

:lol: Im actually guilty of that evil crime. but im still here :lol:

arlen ness are good, am loving mine :D make me look slim

its not worth the risk IMHO but this is a free country, I only nipped to the car shop for something 10 years back. Luckily i decided to put my old 1 piece leathers. If i hadnt i dont think i would have a right knee....or maybe even lower leg.

A car pulled straight out on me , i hit it at around 30 and went over the top , something cut through the outer leather and into the knee armour. After a trip in the ambulance and a few hours in casualty and xray i got home bruised but unbroken.

It may be hot but 30 miles an hour will kill you ......

i really do hope you are joking ?

Yes I am. I wear Dainese two piece leathers myself. They cost about £700 but they're good quality and look pretty cool too (even if they are baking hot)!

I get all my gear from Frank Thomas- can be expensive, but they're good quality and last ages.

yeah last ages if you dont use them :?

mine have been back more times then i can remember and been replaced once and even those have been back 3 times

frank thomas leathers are shyte i will never buy them again

one time when i took them back for repair the guy said "god you have worn these havent you" well what do you expect :roll: :roll:

its not worth the risk IMHO but this is a free country, ....

Ahh, im not trying to get a reaction, i just do daft things sometimes. each to their own :D

yeah last ages if you dont use them :?

mine have been back more times then i can remember and been replaced once and even those have been back 3 times

frank thomas leathers are shyte i will never buy them again

one time when i took them back for repair the guy said "god you have worn these havent you" well what do you expect :roll: :roll:

So what make have you gone for?

I use IXS leathers from J and S, crash tested twice in 6 months and still ok after minor repairs........2 piece ones are more practical than 1 piece I find.

Nothing like the cost of Dainese either!

So what make have you gone for?

i have still got frank thomas untill i can afford to buy some new ones :?

i used to have a pair of RST and they where brilliant lasted 2 years a little bit of stitching came out on the velcro fastening on the jacket put i had it repaired at a local leather shop and paid for by RST :)

hein gericke do some cracking leathers but at the end of the day you get what you pay for :)

Not sure if ya can make this but all who after gear the BMF TAIL END RALLY AT PETERBOROUGH IN september ALL GEAR AT KNOCK DOWN PRICES mad hours on sunday if ya willing to risk not getting exact choice

Also peeps if ya want to stop at mine sat night all welcome

I have Hein Gericke PSX Track II 2 piece leathers. Good price and great quality.

I never ever ride a bike without my leathers (or gortex stuff in winter)

My first set of leathers were Hein Gerick, and they've lasted pretty well (certainly longer than the bikes...)

I've recently got myself a 2pc Alpinestarts GP Plus set of leathers and love them.. perfect fit, not hot when moving (although baking if I stay stiill for too long)... good built in protection.... but only time will tell if the quality is only on the surface :)

I have Arlen Ness 1 piece £600.I feel like im riding naked in slippers if i wear my textiles.

Lovely on the move.When you stop its a different matter in the sun.What a pain to get off when your sweating cos you stick to the inner lining.Wouldnt trust anything other than leathers.2 piece worries me incase they come appart if i crash.

RST were my first set of leathers. Reasonably priced, good quality (I think, having never come off in them) although best advice, as has been stated, go along to dealers and try loads on.

When you stop its a different matter in the sun.What a pain to get off when your sweating cos you stick to the inner lining.Wouldnt trust anything other than leathers.2 piece worries me incase they come appart if i crash.

Try EDZ under garments - excellent stuff, wicks sweat stops leathers/textiles sticking, keeps you cool in summer and provides insulating layer in winter. Combine with an inner shell (top and/or botoms) and makes an ace system.

Oh, and don't crash!

Wouldnt trust anything other than leathers.2 piece worries me incase they come appart if i crash.

I have 2 sets of Alpinstar 2 piece and can recommend them they have been road tested on a few occasions lol and are still in one piece (well actually 2) just like me :lol:

I always liked Lewis Leathers. I still have a jacket from 1983 and because it's in really good condition, it's worth about 200 quid more than when I bought it!