Kawasaki 1000SX top box questions

I've heard that Kawasaki don't recommend panniers and top box fitted at the same time.  I don't carry passengers so think it will be OK.  The Kawasaki salesperson I spoke to said the same.

On searching for top box options I found :

Kawasaki Top case 47L -

totals about £684.70 with all parts.

link

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX (21-22) SHAD Top Box Fitting Kit

£135.89 - not sure what else is required (after the box obv :)).

link

Does anyone on here use either one of these?  If so can you advise on how well the work..?

TIA

I think you should look at a LOMO dry bag rather than splash out on a top box that in my opinion will ruin the looks of the SX. 

https://www.lomo.co.uk/product-category/dry-bags-boxes/

They are brilliant and will fit nicely on the  pillion seat. You will get loads more in that than a top box. Also invest in some rok straps

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/339583

EDIT: You’re ok with panniers by the way. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 2

@fullscreenaging that's an excellent recommendation - never thought of that.  I'll look into it.

I suppose a dry bag doesn't have the same security as a lockable top box, but for me using it on a Scotland trip next year, it would be fine.

Also, the dry bag option is a fraction of the cost of a top box, and I can use it on my Honda CBR 650 too 😃

+1 for Lomo dry bags I think they are excellent bits of kit and very robust too !

I have been known to do a stack of 3 thats 2 as a base with a smaller one for waterproofs etc on the top.

Make good backrests as well.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm about to buy a lomo bag soon and was wondering if I should get a smaller one and strap it like this, or get a bigger one and strap it as in the 2nd photo.  (I'd put the standard pillion seat back on of course..)

1377400754_SmallLomo.thumb.png.61146e5b003085c0dd9e2efe1e1b8b44.png

1652636317_BigLomo.thumb.png.bf107db9b334bbc3dc0095534e7ed16f.png

3 hours ago, MotorBike001 said:

So I'm about to buy a lomo bag soon and was wondering if I should get a smaller one and strap it like this, or get a bigger one and strap it as in the 2nd photo.  (I'd put the standard pillion seat back on of course..)

1377400754_SmallLomo.thumb.png.61146e5b003085c0dd9e2efe1e1b8b44.png

1652636317_BigLomo.thumb.png.bf107db9b334bbc3dc0095534e7ed16f.png

Like a fast food meal always go large! 

• Like 3

I have 2 x 40ltr Lomo Dry Bags for sale.

Both are in very good condition. One is black, the other yellow.

Black one = £22 including postage (mainland UK)

Yellow one = £20 including postage

The yellow one is £2.00 cheaper because the bottom of it is a little bit grubby but would probably clean up.

I think they have both only done one tour.

If anyone wants photo's just let me know 🙂

I would have thought your pannier frames will be ideal for the straps.

Also I have used 2 Lomo bags together so I could use smaller bag and have them side by side on pillion.

I will have a look for pics in a minute.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yorky said:

You must be taking an awful lot of gear to need the panniers AND a 60ltr dry bag. I did a week in France in August with just a 20ltr Kriega bag. I was however stopping in B&Bs whereas you may be camping.

You might be right Yorky - I'm getting a bit carried away.  I'm staying at B&Bs too, and just me..

I haven't put a packing list together yet but it's something like:  large camera bag, small camera bag, tripods x 2, laptop, bike overnight cover, a few t-shirts, jeans, socks, pants.  Plus gopro, insta360 adapters, chargers.  Also, spare gloves, and maybe jacket inner.

10 hours ago, Throttled said:

Kawasaki said the same about some Versys, that they could not take a top box and panniers. I ignored that, had both, and carried a pillion and had no issues.

They didn’t. I bought the GT and it’ comes kitted out with top box and panniers. 

Top box is not for the SX. 

Have a look at the advertising videos and catalogue etc.