Today at Squires ..... sun shining ......

Trooper74

This is Squires Cafe, Sherburn -in - Elmet, Yorkshire, today just after noon. Nothing special about the crowd, normally this big .. except when it rains ... but i'm usually there on my way to other destinations .... good food , Sunday lunch, curry and chips .... all good.
From Easter onward there's often a photographic company set up at the entrance ... they take everyones photo and you can buy a copy for a few quid...
It was good to see a load of youngsters with " L" plates on their bikes mixing with the grey haired crowds .....

20230219_124553.thumb.jpg.9a4800afe72c7fa1a6ebb5893e697a70.jpg

20230219_124600.thumb.jpg.aec325bce24c2dac5f9399124d1dbef5.jpg

And when it rains ............ My Himalayan .....

20211112_094817.thumb.jpg.0c832163d6a2d5330650646452bbdd83.jpg

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

This is Squires Cafe, .... good food , Sunday lunch, curry and chips .... all good.

seriously ?  frankly i found it to be slop you like ...   what would Egon Ronay   say  ...  

but on a positive note there is a café just a short distance away NY500 ....   

https://goo.gl/maps/doZbTrhWgPhPWEiS7   

there you go .. 

Edited by Copycat73
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

seriously ?  frankly i found it to be slop you like ...   what would Egon Ronay   say  ...  

there you go .. 

Yep. I thought it was total shite too. 🤣 

• Like 1

well ... you sort of got me there .... i've never actually eaten there, I see lots of people eating there ... chatting and eating stuff ..... they all seem happy .... I'll add a rider .... "may contain food" .... Maybe explains why there was no queue in the cafe while the car park was packed ....

😃

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 3

On 19/02/2023 at 18:07, Copycat73 said:

there you go .. 

If you like paying £12 quid for a shite breakfast then extra for a brew then knock yourself out! 

I won't be visiting NY500 again! 

Trackers in Bridlington though! £6 for a large breakfast with everything you can think of and a brew :thumb: 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you like paying £12 quid for a shite breakfast then extra for a brew then knock yourself out! 

I won't be visiting NY500 again! 

Trackers in Bridlington though! £6 for a large breakfast with everything you can think of and a brew :thumb: 

I'm shocked Yorkshire folk would even contemplate paying that price for breakfast 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I'm shocked Yorkshire folk would even contemplate paying that price for breakfast 

£6? 

I know but its worth it :lol: 

the £12 on the other hand well I'm having nightmares again!! 

• Haha 3

Can't say I like the new place much. 

Now the old milk bar in the village centre, with the eagles nest car park up the side was something else.  You took your life in your hands leaving the top tier of the eagles nest.  If you lost your balance as you turned down the hill, it was too steep to get a foot down in time to prevent a drop.  Unless you had a 6 ft long leg of course.

I first went to the milk bar on my fizzie at 16.  Then the only car park was right in front of the building.

Got there about 10 o clock one Sunday morning with my mates, parked the peds up at the front by the entrance steps and went in for a frothy coffee and a bacon buttie.

Wow.  You could just about still smell the brylcreme and oil from the 1950s rockers in the woodwork, what an atmosphere.

Time passed, bikes came and parked up, we were in our element.  Then we realised thst we were hemmed in by about 100 bikes.

We were stood scratching our heads when some huge, bearded, denim cutoff bedecked bikers saw our predicament..

"Cmon lads, lets get the young uns bikes out".  Out they came, picked up our peds and carried them out of the car park at shoulder height.

Regulars for years after, until the move. 

After that, different crowd, different atmosphere.  I have called in early doors maybe once every couple of years, for a coffee on my way somewhere else, but the place seems so sterile and pre packaged.

Just not my sort of place now.  At first it was endless rows of sportsbikes and one piece leathers, now endless rows of adventure bikes and cordura.  No "characters" anymore like the guy on the honda 90 with sidecar, complete with goggle wearing jack russel riding in the chair.

The original and the best.  Judging by the type of bikes present it would be just before the move.  Our peds would have been where the two blokes sat on the bench to the left are.  No marked out parking bays in those days.  I dont remember the statue of the old rocker though.

banner-history.jpg

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

No "characters" anymore like the guy on the honda 90 with sidecar, complete with goggle wearing jack russel riding in the chair.

You get the odd one now and then. Met this guy on a charity ride out to catterick garrison 

DSCN0033.JPG

Come to think of it that was over 10 years ago!! :shock:

• Like 2