Touring routes library?

Steve_M

Having posted my intended route for this afternoon’s little jaunt out, and another post requesting guidance for three days in Wales, I got to thinking (in a manner of speaking).

We create a photo album for some of our tours (with the intention of making a full set over time). I create a map image of each day’s ride to be included. Or, at least, the more interesting days’ routes. This means I have a record of our tour routes.

Those that are on MyRouteApp are shareable. While not a recommendation for people to follow due to the way we develop a route, they may be a handy indicative starting point should anyone be heading to the area. 

EG.

2013 French Alps from Lyon.

My good lady’s first tour so she caught the train to Lyon where I met her to head to the Route Des grand Grand Alps. The days were kept short with plenty of stops to admire the view and for coffee and cake. 

Would this be of any help to anyone? Would others care to share their routes? 

Edited by Steve_M

1 hour ago, bonio said:

I always thought that a ride report was more like a travel diary.

I'd be up for a section which read more like Biker's Britain.

It's for if you want to report on a decent ride or trip you have been on 

I'm open to suggestions :thumb:

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's for if you want to report on a decent ride or trip you have been on 

I'm open to suggestions :thumb:

My first thought was not to report on my rides but to provide a route resource for others wishing to tour. Whether U.K. or Europe (or anywhere?). Obviously open to everyone to contribute if they so wish. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

My first thought was not to report on my rides but to provide a route resource for others wishing to tour. Whether U.K. or Europe (or anywhere?). Obviously open to everyone to contribute if they so wish. 

Sort of like a GPS Routes & Best biking roads section? 

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don't mind adding it as a new section if thats what people want 

I feel a poll coming up… 😀

May I suggest I create a single thread in the touring section, holding a selection of routes for a specific region (I’m thinking of the French Alps since I have some already) to judge people’s reaction / get feedback? If positive then it might be worth creating a new section?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I feel a poll coming up… 😀

May I suggest I create a single thread in the touring section, holding a selection of routes for a specific region (I’m thinking of the French Alps since I have some already) to judge people’s reaction / get feedback? If positive then it might be worth creating a new section?

Knock yourself out :thumb: 

Really interested in this as spent last night planning a route from Santander over the mountains to the Carcassone area via Andorra for Sept this year.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Ian

5 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Really interested in this as spent last night planning a route from Santander over the mountains to the Carcassone area via Andorra for Sept this year.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Ian

You might find that the Route Des Cols would form a good basis for that ride. Based on our experience you can book hotels as you go…

Link.

39 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Thanks for that I will have a good read of that.

Cheers

Ian

This site has a map which is looks handy. May be worth clicking on the variants box if you have time to explore. 

Link

I have a few videos from our pottering around… eg… Link

I would be interested  particularly if it was routes rather than loops. Plenty of them around and places to find great routes.

The problem is when on passage, trying to make a good time between places without being stuck on the motorway.  If you put avoid motorway into a route planner it does just that ALL The time, not just using them where sensible.

For example the Last couple of days I have had to drive to Chester area from home in the New Forest.

I went up motorway to Birmingham then M54 to A41. 4h50m with 1 stop and little in traffic / holdups.

Realising I was going to get to Birmingham at around 1630 rush hour.
I came back a more imaginative way:

A41 - A49 Shrewsbury - A449  Kidderminster - M5 (for 29miles) A417 Swindon Marlborough. Then through the Wallops to the forest.

Time taken 5h30minutes including 2 stops nice roads and scenery, I have done this route by bike and it is a great ride.

I have also made mistake of not going 29 miles on M5 and it is MUCH slower nearly an hour if I recall.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, onesea said:

The problem is when on passage, trying to make a good time between places without being stuck on the motorway.  If you put avoid motorway into a route planner it does just that ALL The time, not just using them where sensible.

given your requirements .. which is referred to as mixed mode routing.. simple and only solution is to use waypoints .... 

6 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

given your requirements .. which is referred to as mixed mode routing.. simple and only solution is to use waypoints .... 

I do of sorts, mental note of list of towns down a sort of thought out route,
Voice navigation navigate to….

If I don’t like the preview I try another town on my list, waypoints are to restrictive.

I was hoping part of the library could be other such alternate routes, there are plenty.

Edited by onesea

11 hours ago, onesea said:

If I don’t like the preview I try another town on my list, waypoints are to restrictive.

I was hoping part of the library could be other such alternate routes, there are plenty.

Hmmm.. your MO. is not how i work .. basecamp ... being fixed is the whole point of using them .. and the ability to have a spare programmed unit constantly available ...  

16 hours ago, onesea said:

You might find this site useful.

Best biking road, allegedly

Bit of a shite site, that one, I reckon. Some great roads on there but mixed in with just as many you're better off avoiding, and no way to tell them apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Bit of a shite site, that one, I reckon. Some great roads on there but mixed in with just as many you're better off avoiding, and no way to tell them apart.

I did only had a quick google to find it, and checked the “top rated” map selection for the couple of areas I know well. They seemed fair enough. 

I never use waypoints in the routes I create. I have a start point and an end point. and that's it. I use shaping points to move the route so it follows the roads that I want to ride. Anything extra is an unnecessary faff.

This being one I created this week for a 400 mile wander through the Ligurian Alps. We might follow it religiously, or cut a few corners... see how it goes.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 06.07.45.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I never use waypoints in the routes I create. I have a start point and an end point. and that's it. I use shaping points to move the route so it follows the roads that I want to ride. Anything extra is an unnecessary faff.

This being one I created this week for a 400 mile wander through the Ligurian Alps. We might follow it religiously, or cut a few corners... see how it goes.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 06.07.45.png

What’s the difference between waypoints and shaping points?

MyRouteApp, which I use,  uses the term “waypoints”, yet as far as I can tell, they appear to perform the same function.

Yes, there is additional functionality, but it’s very much optional. I don’t pre-plan our tours in a manner where that would be of any use (too much faff, as you say).