Touring routes library?

Steve_M

14 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

What’s the difference between waypoints and shaping points?

I don't use them. nor do I use MyRouteApp.

I use Basecamp for Mac. and it gives you the option "create a waypoint" - why do I need to do that?

I don't use via points either - they are even worse.

I do see people complaining all the time about how complicated it is.. how awful basecamp is. I just wonder to myself, what on earth are you talking about. if its complicated - you are making it complicated. All I'm doing is following a line I traced out on a map on my computer that's been transferred to an identical map that's inside of the unit.

29 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

If you're using Garmin Basecamp then it will not let you miss out a "Waypoint", indeed it will continuously try turning you around/send you back if you do miss it, until such time as you tell the device to "skip waypoint"

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

If you're using Garmin Basecamp then it will not let you miss out a "Waypoint", indeed it will continuously try turning you around/send you back if you do miss it, until such time as you tell the device to "skip waypoint"

I can't be doing with all of that. it's unnecessary and just complicates things.

Mra has waypoints and viapoints. As you follow the route, it will try to get you to each point but it will just carry on if you miss one out. If you skip a viapoint, though, it will keep turning you back until you pass it.

2 hours ago, bonio said:

Mra has waypoints and viapoints. As you follow the route, it will try to get you to each point but it will just carry on if you miss one out. If you skip a viapoint, though, it will keep turning you back until you pass it.

This is a confusion of terminology here, it seems.

As far as I can tell, MRA’s waypoints are the equivalent of Basecamp’s shaping points, while MRA’s Via Points (which I don’t use) equate to Basecamp’s Waypoints). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

a way point is fixed .. will appear in my favourites .. can be used multiple times in unending variety .... shaping points are unique to that particular route file ... they can be lost in the transfer from the creation software to the sat-nav unit ... they can also be lost if the unit needs to recalculate ... their benefit is the quickness with which a route can be planned ... they are of no use whatsoever if you need to reprogram the sat-nav unit "on the hoof" where as waypoints are infinitely usable  for on the hoof reprogramming...

caveat Garmin 

10 hours ago, Yorky said:

are you using an early unit ?

Think for long rides I am going to stick with my plan.

Drag Google round rough idea of times, note town and village names prior to journey.

Then just ok Google navigate too, I may not always go the same way but that can be a bonus. 

In MRA when I use a waypoint (it’s been a while since I sat at my PC) there are lots of option inside that waypoint 

You can change its colour for instance if it’s going to be a fuel stop. You can set a time, for instance 20 min rest break. This will add to the overall journey time. 

When creating a route the quickest way I find is to set start and end points and if I don’t like any roads that MRA creates based on base criteria I’ve set up, such as, avoid Toll roads, avoid motorways etc. I will just drag the section I don’t like to a road I do. 
There is loads of other stuff you can do, and they are constantly updating, and upgrading what can done. I know they are looking at integrating the route creating side and the navigation into a mobile app as I speak. 
They run webinars on how to use everything which you can view at any time, and lots more. 

I have Lifetime Gold membership as I was an early adopter to MRA. 
I don’t know what the price of subscription is now but I think there are 2 or 3 tiers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fullscreenaging said:

In MRA when I use a waypoint (it’s been a while since I sat at my PC) there are lots of option inside that waypoint 

You can change its colour for instance if it’s going to be a fuel stop. You can set a time, for instance 20 min rest break. This will add to the overall journey time. 

When creating a route the quickest way I find is to set start and end points and if I don’t like any roads that MRA creates based on base criteria I’ve set up, such as, avoid Toll roads, avoid motorways etc. I will just drag the section I don’t like to a road I do. 
There is loads of other stuff you can do, and they are constantly updating, and upgrading what can done. I know they are looking at integrating the route creating side and the navigation into a mobile app as I speak. 
They run webinars on how to use everything which you can view at any time, and lots more. 

I have Lifetime Gold membership as I was an early adopter to MRA. 
I don’t know what the price of subscription is now but I think there are 2 or 3 tiers. 

MRA is a sophisticated bit of kit. It has great depth of functionality most of which is not greatly used - 90/10 rule applies - and is relatively simple to use on a variety of platforms.  I liked it when it was Tyre, simple without the bells and whistles. I’ve continued to use it as a day by day route planning tool when touring, and for sharing routes. EG. Norfolk RoSPA group use it to share their weekly ride out routes as it can be sed by most members regardless of which satnav unit they use.

I just put in destination. Select no motorways, unless I'm in a hurry and then i use them. If  I deviate the system selects another route to my destination.  I quite like doing random routes and am not obsessed with a particular route.

On 28/02/2023 at 21:58, S-Westerly said:

I just put in destination. Select no motorways, unless I'm in a hurry and then i use them. If  I deviate the system selects another route to my destination.  I quite like doing random routes and am not obsessed with a particular route.

Which is fine if you’re doing point to point, but our tours often end up with a route a bit like this

7EA0E567-9CDA-4133-ADBD-2EF281400A3F.png

• Like 1

Yup. I reckon life's too short (or at least has too little free time in it) to spend it on so-so roads.

I plan routes like this too, more focussed on the bends and the tarmac than the destination.