Swiss passes. Shared route

Steve_M

A rough outline option for a jaunt around Switzerland. Included are a couple of stretches of motorway ‘cos the alternative minor roads are awful. And the Mont Blanc Tunnel just for the experience (probably not recommended). It all starts at the Freddie Mercury statue in Montreux ‘ cos that’s got to be visited.

Edit. I forgot to mention the Tremola pass… it’s in there. Great fun if you like cobbled roads and hairpins. 

Say “Hi” to Freddie for me.

Edited by Steve_M

6 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Not a fan of cobblestones especially in the wet. Saw some bad slides in Croatia on cobbles and even Alston gives me a twitch now and again when the cobbles are wet.

There's a bike shop not far from us down a cobbled street. Always struck me as sub-optimal.

• Haha 2

On 28/02/2023 at 22:01, S-Westerly said:

Not a fan of cobblestones especially in the wet. Saw some bad slides in Croatia on cobbles and even Alston gives me a twitch now and again when the cobbles are wet.

Nor me. I recall the nervousness of riding across the wet, mossy, sloping cobbled village centre in Vega de Pas. Still makes me break out into a cold sweat. However, we took the Tremola in the dry at modest speeds and were giggling like schoolkids by the top. 

There is an alternative, non-cobbled route up to the Gottard, by the way. 

PS. Beware the Vosges. Tarmac roads with occasional cobbled hairpin bends to catch out the unsuspecting. 

Edited by Steve_M

One of the best has to be the road up to the Edelweisspitze. on the Grossglockner. camber all over the place, some extremely tight hairpins. and cobbles all the way. great fun.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 08.52.46.png

Once you are up there..  your photo is captured for posterity. My bike next to smallfrownes red VFR. this a few days before it broke down. (again)

1072684446_Screenshot2023-03-02at09_00_39.thumb.png.3980caf3acf277ef1eed851e3c00d928.png

Edited by Gerontious

19 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

One of the best has to be the road up to the Edelweisspitze. on the Grossglockner. camber all over the place, some extremely tight hairpins. and cobbles all the way. great fun.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 08.52.46.png

Once you are up there..  your photo is captured for posterity. My bike next to smallfrownes red VFR. this a few days before it broke down. (again)

1072684446_Screenshot2023-03-02at09_00_39.thumb.png.3980caf3acf277ef1eed851e3c00d928.png

Damn, I don’t have a photo of my bike at the top. Seems like I’ll have to go back. 🤔😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Damn, I don’t have a photo of my bike at the top. Seems like I’ll have to go back. 🤔😂

You probably do. if you can remember the date and time. it will exist.

I only know both because they are recorded on the photos I took that day.

Just go to the camera website and change the date and time. https://tinyurl.com/bdhty75z

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

You probably do. if you can remember the date and time. it will exist.

I only know both because they are recorded on the photos I took that day.

Just go to the camera website and change the date and time. https://tinyurl.com/bdhty75z

Thanks for that link. I’ll have a peruse. 

I have photos for that day that will be time stamped somewhere on the laptop. It was probably mid-morning given that we stopped for refreshments. Which day, though?

F100ED3E-F94D-4E3F-A769-CF78A1B67E6A.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I have photos for that day that will be time stamped somewhere on the laptop. It was probably mid-morning given that we stopped for refreshments. Which day, though?

F100ED3E-F94D-4E3F-A769-CF78A1B67E6A.jpeg

Strudelday 

• Like 1