Oil on the rear disc brake

Adam barber

I was spraying chain lube on the chain and some rear break components and managed to get some directly on the disc. When I rode the bike straight after the rear brake was very slow to react, and I had to take it very slow as I had to stand on the break hard to get anything out of it. Will this fix itself or do I need to get something to clean it? I did give it a good wipe down but haven't been out on it again yet

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hi and welcome 

Replace the pads and clean the disc with brake cleaner 

As it's the rear I would be cleaning the disc and the pads and roughing them up slightly and trying it again before buying new but I'm halfway between Scotland and Yorkshire 😂 

• Haha 3

I'd get a load of brake cleaner the disc and pads first, and only replace the pads if that doesn't fix it. 

But I'm lazy. 

Wash the disc and area with soapy water.  Go for ride, ride for a few minutes with brake on slightly till it feels better.

Change what ever you feel needs changing, however IMHO it's physiological not mechanical. Unless you can feel fractions of a % in breaking.

Edit to add I have had Oil/ grease on my discs countless times and ACF50.  Oil I generally wash off before riding, ACF50 burns off fairly quickly.

Edited by onesea

I would and do spray the disk with break cleaner and rub with emery cloth,  spray again wipe of with absorbent towel.

Use a piece of cardboard behind the disk to keep the break cleaner of the black stuff & wheels, good idea to do this when oiling chain.