Cumbria, Scottish Borders, and Dumfries and Galloway.

Steve_M

Yesterday I had a rather splendid little potter around the above areas. 200 miles in total using a mix of A, B and unclassified roads. The weather was perfect and I also discovered a couple of places of interest to visit with my good lady.

It was very much made up as I went along - my satnav’s buggered so I decided to just follow my nose and explore a few new-to-me  roads as I found them.

The Route (ish) starting at Lanercost tea rooms

ED116089-9271-4F9F-8644-BB04B3E6E33A.jpeg

E4C79A52-6953-4BF6-A2C8-4CE4B82AAE29.jpeg

791E8DD7-8729-4090-830D-79AA788FCF81.jpeg

A93EE56B-7391-4A1B-9575-3434F4C46C34.jpeg

447BB37F-F336-4A6D-8BB5-EA20BEEDFE9D.jpeg

AED1A43D-E863-44EE-BC31-03D114DD02C5.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Its an area I know quite well especially the NE corner of Cumbria and there's a lot of good albeit often small roads. I also add Co. Durham and Northumberland to my list.

I’m slowly getting the hang of the area (we’re not far from Brampton) having moved up here just before lockdowns. We’re ideally placed for some excellent days out. 

I’m enjoying the variety of the roads, and the fact they go up and down as well as left and right (I moved here from Norfolk… up and down is not a familiar concept there 😁). 

• Like 1

From Brampton there's a nice road to Longtown and then up towards Canonbie where you can go up Liddesdale then cut back into England at Newcastleton and go towards kielder and the North Tyne Valley. Done that a few times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Eskdalemuir Muir if I remember correctly.

Been there quite a few times over the years. Certainly not the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland !  Far too jolly for that.

Seem to me like a harmless bunch, But when in Rome, throw a Christian to the lions....

On 20/04/2023 at 22:22, S-Westerly said:

From Brampton there's a nice road to Longtown and then up towards Canonbie where you can go up Liddesdale then cut back into England at Newcastleton and go towards kielder and the North Tyne Valley. Done that a few times.

A more scenic and interesting route to Newcastleton would be to head through Lanercost then head North through  Kershope Forest. it’s my go to route when I’m heading that way.

MyRouteApp link

59785E66-C688-497B-888B-4A79D55A2B55.jpeg

• Like 2

On 20/04/2023 at 22:46, Ronnie said:

That was Samye Ling Tibetan monastery wasn't it ?  Good place to eat ....if you're vegetarian !

I’m not vegetarian but it wouldn’t stop me eating there.

I did stop off at the Eskdalemuir community hub. A grand facility with motorbike parking (see photo above) and friendly staff. 

• Like 1