So I am 49 years old, never driven a car but really want a motor scooter. Went for a CBT and fell off within the first 30 minutes of starting, wanted to get back on but felt like instructor was a bit annoyed with me and so ended up going home. Very deflated. Decided to do something about it and booked a pre CBT and went today. Stopping and starting and left and right no problem, struggled with figure of eight and u turns but fell off again at the end of the 2 hour session. Instructor was great and I have booked another pre CBT for 3 weeks time. I really want to do this, I just need to know that it is ok to fall off and get back on again more than once! Surely it’s a learning curve!!!

• Like 3

Hi Sarah, welcome to TMBF, we have all done it and even experienced riders will drop bikes so don't feel bad about it.

Riding a bicycle can help a great deal, so if you have one or can borrow one, or even buy a cheap sh one for £20 it will be well worth it for the practice.

The same principle applies to all two wheels, regardless of how it is powered.

Keep at it and you will get there, and when you do you will wish that you did it sooner, but don't worry because I started my biking life at 49 too, and one of the best things I ever did 😃 :thumb:

• Like 2

Thanks ! That makes me feel a lot better! I am frustrated because the whole 2 hour session I was doing so well. I have accepted that it will take me a bit longer than other people but it’s nice to hear someone telling me it’s ok! 

Did you do the CBT on a twist and go or geared bike ? As sometimes it can be harder on a twist and go as you have no real control over the clutch, and applying back brake while trying to use the throttle can be tricky.

A twist and go because that is what I want to buy. The thing is the instructor said I was great at controlling the bike when driving and stopping it was just when I got to the slow control exercises I got frustrated. I eventually got the figure of 8 but took me ages and the u turn was at the end by which point I was annoyed with myself. Instructor was great, really encouraging and patient 

It is hard when you are new to this, and it so easy to put yourself under pressure, it's just finding that balance between trying to keep calm and relaxed but also pushing yourself to " C'mon you can do this " and holding back the frustration when it goes wrong, but practice is the key.

Depending on where you live you could hire an E-bike which is pretty much a twist and go with some pedal power :thumb: ( Just to get in some practice )

Edited by dynax

Yeah stick at it. Those slow control manoeuvres are difficult. It might take you a bit longer than others but it doesn't matter. Took me longer to get them than the other people on my cbt. Stick at it, try and enjoy it and you'll be out on the roads in no time 

Don't forget to keep us updated on your progress :thumb:

When you get your CBT and are motored up, if you fancy having a chippy dinner/tea run somewhere or a coffee and cake run, Ice cream is also a good shout, I would be glad to ride with you :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sarahjk said:

Got my CBT re booked for this Sunday! Wish me luck!!

Good luck

My daughter has hers in 2 weeks, she has extra pressure.  If she falls off and her mum finds out mum will probably stop her riding 😳

I rode my daughters 50cc home last night nearly binned it twice, brake not clutch is confusing after a motorbike.

Then there was the day I binned my pushbike on the way home from the pub, cause I forgot the clutch was a brake.  Over the handle bars I went.

All the controls being new are challenging to start with, you will get used to it.  You will still drop it from time to time for the most stupid reason, forgotten side stand anyone?

• Thanks 2

Good luck with it Sarah, you will nail it just keep positive thoughts, and try and relax.

It's not a test it's your gateway towards 2 wheel adventures :thumb:

• Thanks 1

Now is the time you will start learning, everything you did on the CBT try and put into practice in your daily rides, and start developing your Roadcraft skills, and most importantly do your lifesavers.

The most important thing of all though is enjoy it, and do lots of smiling 😃😃😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done enjoy your riding, my daughter passed today as well.  Struggled with U turn.

After your account I paid the £20 insurance, she didn’t need it.  Just means when she drops her own I am going to have to buy panels fast before mum finds out 😳

• Like 5

• 2 months later...