Cool, tall bikes - inspiration needed

Interference Fit

(Mature rider) Looking at getting my first big bike, having learned on a CB650R. 

My issue is that I'm 6'4" and so many bikes look and / or feel too small for me, as per the two examples below.

People are saying I need an adventure bike, but I just can't feel the love for them, despite them feeling much more comfortable when I sit on them.

This not for commuting or touring and is just a weekend toy to enjoy for fun, nothing more.

I have no shame in admitting that having a bike that is a real eye full, not the run of the mill is important to me.

The closest I've got to finding something in the ball park for 'wow' factor are the Ducati Hypermotard RVE, the Desert X and the Multistrada, but I just don't love any of them enough so I'm looking for inspiration for other bikes I might consider that are road / handling focused and real eye candy. I feel the Hyper is too hooligan for my mature years and the seat quite uncomfortable. The Multistada is just too boring and the Desert X not road biased enough - I'm not into knobbly tyres etc.

I totally appreciate bikes like the Tiger 660 or BMW GS' etc are hugely capable machines, but totally miss the mark for me from a 'wow' factor. 

Any suggestions of other bikes suitable for taller riders that have that 'something special' look and feel to them? (looking to buy new).

7xLlnob.jpeg

xqmWNSj.png

Hope u dont mind but Just note on the pics for fit:

the honda is going to be very wristy (biased on the outside palm) as its too angle like an arrow unless you buy a different handle bar thats less angles and higher up!  the bike has your body tilted very slightly forward more closer to a super bike fit than the triumph.Leg angle is good but higher up compared to the tri , maybe be some lowering pegs but need the rear brake lever lowered down.

triumph is better for your rwrists as the bars are flatter but there is a lot more of a stretch to the bar so your shoulder blades are spreading outwards and back hunched alot so this will make ur shoulders and upper back ache first, u could do with the bars closer to you.

the rear brake lever is good but your knee is lower down and cantered more forward pishing your lower hip forward too like advs. Unless you can adjust the brake lever you might want to look at some.

5 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Hope u dont mind but Just note on the pics for fit:

the honda is going to be very wristy (biased on the outside palm) as its too angle like an arrow unless you buy a different handle bar thats less angles and higher up!  the bike has your body tilted very slightly forward more closer to a super bike fit than the triumph.Leg angle is good but higher up compared to the tri , maybe be some lowering pegs but need the rear brake lever lowered down.

triumph is better for your rwrists as the bars are flatter but there is a lot more of a stretch to the bar so your shoulder blades are spreading outwards and back hunched alot so this will make ur shoulders and upper back ache first, u could do with the bars closer to you.

the rear brake lever is good but your knee is lower down and cantered more forward pishing your lower hip forward too like advs. Unless you can adjust the brake lever you might want to look at some.

Interesting on the Honda bars, I'd not really noticed the arrow angle. Neither float my boat to be honest, the Honda is nice as I learned to ride on it so I have that bond, but just not 'special' enough for me. I only posted the pics to illustrate my issue of being taller than average.

Here's me on a Hyper for comparison, and also a 890 Duke which felt good, if only I could get past the cheap and nasty 'child's toy' like stickers they use. 

z2wR12A.jpeg

hc7wzkK.png

The duc is a very tall bike im roughly average hight and i found it really uncomfortable tall so u being 6,4 its good place to start out of the box as the bike is.

the bars are very good for you, if id adjust them it would be to cant them upward a couple of mm up just to rid of the knuckles being high. Good straight back and not too spread out blades.

the leg room is great but its a very narrow 

So ull be trying to support yourself with ur knees but due to the very narrow tank ull diggin more which will be closer together than your feet (old school look of closing your legss needing a wee) than your feet 

Which splices out your heels slightly so you may find this pressure on the inside knees unless ud like to do leg out moto style. Also ur groin is goona be alot closer (sliding onto) to being ontop of the tank under heavy brakes whuch some people dont ket on with...

The ktm is more like the honda fir the legs but much better for fit than if not the best...but just to be better either tilt the bars up or slight raise a few mm. If you can't adjust the levers further out ull may need them further away.

You can always change the Desert X tyres to road tyres if you really like it. 

Apparently the Ducati Diavel won the best looking bike award this year. 

Also check this site out for what you might/might not fit on

https://cycle-ergo.com

Edited by fullscreenaging

That was the hyper motard yes? If so The hyperstrada would be a better match than the motard. 

not bad but very very basic tool. but doesn't take into accounts the various individual body parts dimensions that beings are! back length, neck length, shoulder width, forearm length , thigh length, shin length, foot size, hands...all play apart. Also determines if any aftermarket parts for purchase maybe required to at least make it as comfortable as possible...

nothing worse that shelling out a load of money on a bike just to find out it uncomfortably painful to ride afters for more than 20mins.

Yes, it’s a basic tool, but it gives a rough idea that only takes a few mins to set up. 

Better than wasting a few hours sitting on bikes in the showroom. Although if you have the time then nothing better than popping into a dealer and sitting on new bikes 😁

google found this. google is quite good at finding fings

1-01-Diavel-710x531.thumb.jpg.315f6bae28a861fa4ed599b0c80aabd9.jpg

The Italian manufacturer’s first stab at the cruiser market was as outlandish as expected, though few anticipated its brilliance.

Universally lauded by the world’s press, the Diavel uses a similar 1200cc motor to the Multistrada, so it’s certainly no slouch. Neutral, easy handling defies a huge rear tyre and raked out forks. It’s kind of a cross between a traditional cruiser and a big naked, and it’s no exaggeration to call this bike a ‘game changer’ — one that works brilliantly for taller riders who want performance, handling and looks that will always receive admiring glances. Kudos to the Bolognese brand, the Diavel rocks.

• Like 2

Height is a blessing and a curse eh?

Not a bad shout out.worth a gander.

seat height is about 31in saw the pics wit Neeves whos 6 foot, with roughly equal thigh to lower leg length and his knees were at if not a fraction lower than his hips with feet flat on the pegs while shifting on the seat corning.

From the pics your thighs look slightly longer than the lower leg... every one is different.

you may find it acute for your knees, the pegs are quite low and grinding could be easy if you decide to venture to leans its possible to do on that bike you'll have little option to lower the pegs only to try ones that shift them forward.
other ways would be to get a bigger/ taller seat for it to raise you up..or raise the back up but id doubt there's enough top thread space to throw a few shimms in there unless the top spec has the olins option to raise it otherwise its a different shock🤑

the only joys with being new is that you dont have muscle memory to tell your mind form the off..."this is wrong, nooo, Ouch"

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Height is a blessing and a curse eh?

Not a bad shout out.worth a gander.

seat height is about 31in saw the pics wit Neeves whos 6 foot, with roughly equal thigh to lower leg length and his knees were at if not a fraction lower than his hips with feet flat on the pegs while shifting on the seat corning.

From the pics your thighs look slightly longer than the lower leg... every one is different.

you may find it acute for your knees, the pegs are quite low and grinding could be easy if you decide to venture to leans its possible to do on that bike you'll have little option to lower the pegs only to try ones that shift them forward.
other ways would be to get a bigger/ taller seat for it to raise you up..or raise the back up but id doubt there's enough top thread space to throw a few shimms in there unless the top spec has the olins option to raise it otherwise its a different shock🤑

the only joys with being new is that you dont have muscle memory to tell your mind form the off..."this is wrong, nooo, Ouch"

Yes, I have very long thighs - good observation! 

The choice was narrowed further down today with another three contenders (the Harley pic is an older one), worryingly I'm wearing almost the same clothes!

Sportster S was more comfortable than I imagined, and a cool bike (to me).

The Monster felt really nice and not too cramped at all - very manageable. 

I tried the Hyper again and this confirmed a very good fit, if the seat is a little uncomfortable. 

However the one that felt like it had been designed around me and fitted like a glove, all the controls just falling perfectly to hand, was sadly the least appropriate for my limited experience - the 3R. Absolutely fell in love!

j6T9W2G.png

ohGWeHN.png

AnjvVkd.png

Harley is good for your legs but is really hunching and pulling on your shoulders ull suffer with upper shoulders to lower neck in no time.  So you have slightly shorter arms into relation to you spine which is why you have baggy long drop tops? 
which explains the Its abit of a ape bike, So raised abit and needs to be wider but really really a lot closer.

The rear brake needs a little tweak. Front brake will need  moving out slightly.

Weirdly the monster is probably very good out of the box, if i was picky it would be a few mm closer and just tilt the lever ever so slightly down a few mm too.

so Rocket has chonky grips no??? What glove size do u have large or xl?? Do you want a full grip grab or happy with less?
A fair reach / of a stretch to the bars no? Yeah youll wanna pull them back.. but wont ache as much as the harley if you dont bother.

width isnt terrible but depend if you are ok to splacing your arms out skightly (like press ups). Due to the tri pulling you hips and rotating slightly back it sorta makes your thighs seem shorter but you lower leg longer...not bad id say better if tou could get the bars back slightly. 

lower the rear brake lever slightly. 

8 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Harley is good for your legs but is really hunching and pulling on your shoulders ull suffer with upper shoulders to lower neck in no time.  So you have slightly shorter arms into relation to you spine which is why you have baggy long drop tops? 
which explains the Its abit of a ape bike, So raised abit and needs to be wider but really really a lot closer.

The rear brake needs a little tweak. Front brake will need  moving out slightly.

Weirdly the monster is probably very good out of the box, if i was picky it would be a few mm closer and just tilt the lever ever so slightly down a few mm too.

so Rocket has chonky grips no??? What glove size do u have large or xl?? Do you want a full grip grab or happy with less?
A fair reach / of a stretch to the bars no? Yeah youll wanna pull them back.. but wont ache as much as the harley if you dont bother.

width isnt terrible but depend if you are ok to splacing your arms out skightly (like press ups). Due to the tri pulling you hips and rotating slightly back it sorta makes your thighs seem shorter but you lower leg longer...not bad id say better if tou could get the bars back slightly. 

lower the rear brake lever slightly. 

Thanks for the feedback.

The most comfortable out of them all is the Monster and Rocket.

Head (and limited experience) says Monster SP, heart and ego says Rocket.

I'll need to arrange a demo ride but lots of places won't demo riders with fresh licences, which I understand.  

23 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Just about guaranteed that you won't get a demo on a Rocket with a brand new licence. 

14 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Well westy If the slimer wants a sale he can sit on the back an enjoy the ride.. it will be worth it for the commission off peak!!!

To be fair, in the interests of preservation, as much as I love it, starting out on a R3 when my only experience has been on a CB650R is asking for trouble, and thankfully, I'm (just) about wise enough to realise that. 

At this stage, something lighter and more forgiving probably makes more sense. Not sure whether the Sportster S falls into that category or not?

My gut tells me the Monster or Hyper are probably more appropriate, with maybe the KTM as a wild card?

• Like 1

Personally if id suggest to a newer rider that wants to shy on safe side for normal pure road use it would be the monster over the hyperstrada and even the hypermotard is more single minded and to get anything near how IT wants to be ridden will be more of a moto style- leg out arse on the other side of the seat.. tiny fuel tank, no thought for normal life...just moto styles on cadwell park or back roads of Yorkshire just to name a few quirks.

Monster is slightly more road biased and forgiving than the ktm if im to be honest plus if tou ever want to px it it will be worth more and nearly any peeps will take it, only fly if your concerned about it is the when it needs the service will be a bit more than the ktm but id rate the reliability better on modern ducatis better.

v

check on insurance.. they can be funny buggers when rating them both... ducatis cost more but less likely to need a claim while the ktm is cheaper potentially atracks more. See which and what works best for you!

the yanko is very heavy for its specs thought the weight is fairly low , slow and bar sort of dealers being trained to deal with daft designs and backwards thoughts... I LAUGHED inside when ive seen two bike places struggle just to change a rear tyre...

i wont spoil the thoughts of what people think outside of the HD and normal bikers think of them.🤭 

well you can slap most new bikes in low power, high abs and high traction control until you get comfortable with your riding and experience.. you can always lower the nanny level later on when you feel better with your own riding.