Cool, tall bikes - inspiration needed

Interference Fit

As bender said! 

Just to note Because dealers can be restricted on test rides even on full licences when you pass and prepared to wait a month of so get yourself to motorcycle shows near to you.

some do open test rides that you can book before hand to have a go a looped enclosed area, nearest to me is at the nec that runs in nov time. can give you an idea from the off if that type feels right as it actually moving because sitting on to actually riding it are different things especially with no experience, they can even supply kit to borrow.

loads of stationary bikes to sit on there together so easy to just jump from one made and type to the other so not having to "remember " plus some different brands that may fit your needs there too.

all the supply traders are there so if you need helmets, leather, texts, boots, chains etc loads of brands are all under one roof so youll find what you want that fits and at that time of the year they want to sell stock off for next year so discounts can be had.

its cheaper, safer and more comfortable to buy the right bike and kit from the off first time.

Well done.

Good job to stick it to them. Yep mike made the right call, he could have bought the honda without actually riding before hand then find out hates it for 3 or more years on a pcp or worse loses loads of money to px for something that suits better in the first place.

Thanks all.

Tried to like the Tiger 660 Sport, but just doesn't do anything for me, also the Transalp - I can't spend money on something I just don't like the look of. 

Went into Honda, credit card in hand ready to buy a Hornet based on value (I get a £500 discount from my Honda approved riding school) and 'how wrong can a Hornet be', but the only colour I like is the grey which is late December delivery, so that's out as I want a bike in September to get riding asap and don't want to pass my test (fingers crossed) then not ride for months. 

GSX-8S is next in line, although I have enquired on a SV650 to see if the advertised offer does or doesn't include the £500 test ride voucher from Suzuki UK - if it does, it'll bring a new SV650 in at circa £6,155 which based on what I see 3 year old examples for sale for, makes it a pretty safe bet for 6-12 months with not too much loss.

I'm also aware that the 2024 model year updates will be announced soon that might bring other bikes into contention that I don't know about yet, hence looking at maybe a short term tenure to gain experience. 

Oh thats a shame about rhe others.

From what ive heard delays are quite lengthy for the hornets at the mo!!

another choice would be ex demo or even better a nearly new?? Like irs 1000miles old so it run in for you? because the bike has been px by someone who bought the wrong bike, Those will be available from the off.

the way things with the bikes in their life cycle, the updates will me minimal at best so wont be worth the difference. Go after youve passed, near end of month to when the dealer will be more likely to deal to meet a sales target- if you dont have a voucher to discount.

32 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Oh thats a shame about rhe others.

From what ive heard delays are quite lengthy for the hornets at the mo!!

another choice would be ex demo or even better a nearly new?? Like irs 1000miles old so it run in for you? because the bike has been px by someone who bought the wrong bike, Those will be available from the off.

the way things with the bikes in their life cycle, the updates will me minimal at best so wont be worth the difference. Go after youve passed, near end of month to when the dealer will be more likely to deal to meet a sales target- if you dont have a voucher to discount.

I really want a new bike, even if that costs me hundreds extra in depreciation - to me, the first owner, brand new, utterly spotless thing is worth that - to me at least.

Re 2024, I'm thinking more along the lines of new colours, or, for example, maybe Suzuki bring out a GSX-8R, i.e a 8S with full fairing etc, or Triumph bring out a new Daytona kind of bike based on the Trident platform - that kind of thing.

• Like 1

If I wanted a bike in a specific colour. I would track one down and travel for it, especially if I wanted it quick. I wouldn’t be bothered where it was. There are trains and taxis (if it’s too far to walk from the station)

for example. If I, for example wanted a brand new 2023 hornet in grey. I would track on down. Phone them up. Put down a deposit. Sort out when it’s ready to collect. Then book the train ticket.

as it happens that would mean a train to London St Pancras then another train just south of London to Surrey. Then a two minute walk to the dealership.

https://www.bikesinstock.co.uk/new-bikes-for-sale/honda/cb750-hornet/145617.htm

or talk to them about delivery. Or talk to Honda uk and ask them where I can source one. I would be determined and laugh at the nay sayers.

but that’s the way I am. Not the type to take no for an answer or look at obstacles as obstacles.

Edited by Gerontious

2 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

its only been out, stock is just not enough yet, next year should be better.

a gsx8 and trident faired will be at least two or more years, if it ever happens.

IMG_1574.png

38 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

If I wanted a bike in a specific colour. I would track one down and travel for it, especially if I wanted it quick. I wouldn’t be bothered where it was. There are trains and taxis (if it’s too far to walk from the station)

for example. If I, for example wanted a brand new 2023 hornet in grey. I would track on down. Phone them up. Put down a deposit. Sort out when it’s ready to collect. Then book the train ticket.

as it happens that would mean a train to London St Pancras then another train just south of London to Surrey. Then a two minute walk to the dealership.

https://www.bikesinstock.co.uk/new-bikes-for-sale/honda/cb750-hornet/145617.htm

or talk to them about delivery. Or talk to Honda uk and ask them where I can source one. I would be determined and laugh at the nay sayers.

but that’s the way I am. Not the type to take no for an answer or look at obstacles as obstacles.

I hear you and have similar levels of determination when I REALLY want something. 

I spoke to three Honda dealers today who all said the same thing - sold out and on a factory allocation basis for the UK network for end of December delivery, no UK unsold stock showing on the Honda UK system at any dealer. The example posted I did spot, however it is a pre-reg '23 plate, for £500 more than I could pay for a new one on a new '73 plate as the first owner, as I get a £500 discount off a new one via the Honda riding school. 

I'd consider it if I was desperate or REALLY wanted a Hornet, but I don't want one THAT badly. I'd pay list for a new one for Sept or choose something else. The 8S felt a little roomier in the legs for me which might be helpful.

15 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

I hear you and have similar levels of determination when I REALLY want something. 

I'd consider it if I was desperate or REALLY wanted a Hornet, but I don't want one THAT badly.

Sorry i had to laugh at that statement... its like an old joke allover again! Poor Hornets...

just to make it clear cos someone will spam an outrage at me for it, not to do discredit or say its a bad bike even of the previous releases of them.

I'm 6'6"

Had a Tiger 1050 for about 7 years now, for us long ones they're a great option. Sleek sporty lines, reasonably quick, easy to throw around and chuck into corners (especially with the right suspension), sounds good with the arrow can but you can chuck luggage on there and crank out a 3000 mile tour.

Use mine year round, for most of that time I've just had bikes, no car.

Absolutely bullet proof reliable too, I've serviced mine to the book with genuine parts and the only thing I've had to do that wasn't wear and tear was whip off the headers and get my mate to tig weld a crack up but that's not a spendy job, it's never broken down or failed to start. Got it on 16k done 35k since then so it's sitting 51k and I'd have no quibbles about riding it round the world.

Highly recommended.

Edited by megaross
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, megaross said:

I'm 6'6"

Had a Tiger 1050 for about 7 years now, for us long ones they're a great option. Sleek sporty lines, reasonably quick, easy to throw around and chuck into corners (especially with the right suspension), sounds good with the arrow can but you can chuck luggage on there and crank out a 3000 mile tour.

Use mine year round, for most of that time I've just had bikes, no car.

Absolutely bullet proof reliable too, I've serviced mine to the book with genuine parts and the only thing I've had to do that wasn't wear and tear was whip off the headers and get my mate to tig weld a crack up but that's not a spendy job, it's never broken down or failed to start. Got it on 16k done 35k since then so it's sitting 51k and I'd have no quibbles about riding it round the world.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the feedback, noted.

Mod 2 in the morning... fingers crossed!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Thanks - any tips?

Try to relax, you're out for a ride with a sat nav in your ear. Take it easy, watch the speed limits. You know what you are doing! Good luck 👍

Edited by goat

Yep, just ride with confidence and diligence. 

They just want to see you are safe to ride, they know you'll be building your skills up after the fact.

Have a bit of fruit beforehand if you're nervous, sugar boost, calms the nerves.Seriously.

Plus if you eat a banana whilst staring at the instructor they might be so scared/ aroused they pass you no questions asked.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Yay, I passed!

Thanks everyone :)

Well done you. Now enjoy finding and then riding. With luck you've a couple of months before winter hits. I ride year round but that's not to everyone's taste.